Topping up the battery - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I didn't realize that Escape ever put a battery in the interior of a 17', even the second one with a dual battery option. It seems really unlike Escape to put two batteries of a dual set in different locations. Was this a factory installation, or an owner modification?
This was done by Reese when I bought the used trailer on Escape's lot, at their first location. I added a second battery and a 3 burner stove top ( never even used one burner yet) and an exterior shower. There's a switch under the bed that kills the power to the interior battery.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wonder if a battery box strap would work? Like the one in this picture. You could cinch it down tight.
I don't believe the black battery box you showed is sealable.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Maybe i am wrong since the trailer is currently at the storage yard. But my recollection is that the batteries on the 21 (dual 6 volt) are kept in a box with a tight fitting lid, but no screws, and no tiedown strap. There is a vent hose, and some putty around the hole where the wires exit the box.

so maybe you could talk to escape and get a box like the ones they are using now, and eliminate some of the work.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I don't believe the black battery box you showed is sealable.
It wasn't the box I was commenting on, it was the strap. Buytl doesn't harden, make a rope of it and run that around the top inside of your box to "seal" the two halves, cinch the box top down with the strap.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
It wasn't the box I was commenting on, it was the strap. Buytl doesn't harden, make a rope of it and run that around the top inside of your box to "seal" the two halves, cinch the box top down with the strap.
That's going to be one tough mother to open.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
But if that was workable, because the top is stiff enough, it would also be workable to just leave out at least 6 of the screws.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
This is a photo of the batteries( 2) in the rear dinette of the 21' . The hold down is similar to what is used in automobiles. There is a wooden bar that crosses the top and is held by wing nuts at each end from a threaded bar attached to the base. The only sealant applied is around the cables in a notch at the top of the box. The lid is just plastic on plastic pressure from tightening the wing nuts.
Removing the lid and getting to the batteries is easy.
I've sat inside while the batteries were equalizing and smelled no off gassing of the batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1591.jpg (123.4 KB, 26 views)
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
I've sat inside while the batteries were equalizing and smelled no off gassing of the batteries.
And you wouldn't smell it. Batteries off gas Hydrogen which is colorless and ODORLESS. It is, however, poisonous at certain concentrations to breath and extremely explosive. That is why inside lead acid batteries MUST be vented to the outside. While you can not smell hydrogen, it can set off the propane detector if the concentration gets high. ETI uses electrical conduit sealant (available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. inexpensively) to seal openings in the battery box where wires enter/exit.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
I like this idea!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A fabric strap will only work with a rigid lid. Even the lengthwise bar which Craig showed depends on the lid being rigid across the width.

If I were sealing a hatch which is intended to be opened, I would use a soft foam weatherstrip, not sticky putty. For that matter, if it's opened once a year, fabric duct tape (Duck or otherwise) - discarded and replaced each time -would be quicker, easier, and more effective.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote