Trailer Dolly - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I don't like the idea of moving the trailer using the tongue jack wheel, and avoid it as much as possible. Even on my previous 17, there was a lot of lateral pressure on that jack post, especially if you needed to turn a little. On the 19, it's even worse. And I don't think the added resistance to the tires being in gravel is going to help at all.

2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #32

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I don't like the idea of moving the trailer using the tongue jack wheel, and avoid it as much as possible. Even on my previous 17, there was a lot of lateral pressure on that jack post, especially if you needed to turn a little. On the 19, it's even worse. And I don't think the added resistance to the tires being in gravel is going to help at all.
I've been in touch with the US distributor of the Purple Line movers and he suggested I get a large dual wheel caster for the jack. Otherwise, he said their device will work great on gravel with the trailer. Now to research the caster he suggested. Does anyone know if that's possible on the Escapes? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
It would be helpful to explain why you need to orient the trailer that way. Somebody might have another solution.
And, if you are having issues with the city over the gravel pad, what are they going to say about storing your trailer there? Any bylaws in the way?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #34

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I thought I already mentioned that, but maybe not. I want to park the trailer with the hitch facing away from the road. It's not a pull through area, so the plan is to pull parallel to the road, unhitch and then move the trailer into place. By having the hitch away from the road we figure it'll lessen the risk of theft, plus the door will be facing towards the house and we can see it in the porch Nest camera. There have been issues with break-ins and such in this neighborhood before. Heck, the battery out of my Trooper was stolen once!

The parking area is loose gravel and while not exactly level, it's better than what we had before, which was filled with laurels and steep. The issue with the city is drainage as we're right at the end of an area that could flood. Although we're not in a flooding area, being higher up, our lot is still in that section, even though it applies to houses farther down the hill and towards the freeway. We're not completely done with it and it'll be longer and more level when it's done.

There aren't any issues with parking an RV as many in the neighborhood have them. Heck, someone is living in a 5th wheel a few houses away, although it's not allowed (she even told me that herself, which kind of surprised me that she'd say that).

I've attached two photos of the parking area. One shows the street while the other shows it with the street to my back (more or less). As you can see, it's not complete, but it gives you a good idea of where it'll be parked.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great! It's our first (and only!) trailer, so there's lots we need to learn about it.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03966.JPG (321.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03965.JPG (341.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Can't tell for sure, but that looks big enough to pull straight in and angle straight along the fence then stop with enough room to unhitch and pull back around, or pull forward a bit and then back it out. The mover thing sounds like a lot of $$
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #36

I would not want to attempt it as there's a steep drop off. Granted, it will be longer when we get it all done, but I still don't want to risk falling off the front edge. We're going to be pulling with a Tundra.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Have you given any thought to a front hitch on your truck, some plywood for the tongue wheel and pushing the trailer from the rear bike hitch. Perhaps have ETI strengthen that point to take the additional stress.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Have you given any thought to a front hitch on your truck, some plywood for the tongue wheel and pushing the trailer from the rear bike hitch. Perhaps have ETI strengthen that point to take the additional stress.
Nope, can't say I've ever thought of that. Would that be similar to what you see on cars that are towed behind a motorhome? Are they permanently attached or is it removable?
Old 02-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
You have a receiver mounted to your front, permanent, all you will see is the square tube. Insert a special female stinger and a male ball stinger on the trailer, hook up and push. May work, just an idea.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Scares me as a solution.
Turning the trailer would twist the receiver, putting a lot of load on it. A straight push or pull, less so.
And, I'd pretty much expect the jack to collapse in that loose gravel.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote