Water pump and antifreeze - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17B
Water pump and antifreeze

We are trying to winterize our 2008 17B using method 1 in the user manual. We have unhooked the plastic line from the fresh water holding tank and are feeding antifreeze through the intake port on the water pump. The water pump has taken up the antifreeze and has pumped antifreeze to the sinks and toilet. The pump only ran for a few seconds and shut off. We had to turn it on multiple times to test all the taps and toilet. Now we are trying to put antifreeze through the shower. The pump light is turning on but the pump is not working. The fuse is fine. Why would the pump not be working?
JaneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
There isn't much volume in the piping, so when the pump stops you need to open the valve (like run the showerhead) otherwise it gets pressurized so the pump just stops....

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17B
Charlie - You were absolutely correct! For my own understanding, do you know where the pressure builds up when the pump is hooked up in the normal way. I assume that as it is drawing water from the fresh water tank, it must be building pressure up in the hot water tank. As I have the hot water tank cut off using method 1, it can't use this area to compress the air so it only builds up in the pipes. I know liquids don't compress well so there must be a shutoff pressure in the water pump. Am I correct? Many thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated! Dan
JaneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneH View Post
Charlie - You were absolutely correct! For my own understanding, do you know where the pressure builds up when the pump is hooked up in the normal way. I assume that as it is drawing water from the fresh water tank, it must be building pressure up in the hot water tank. As I have the hot water tank cut off using method 1, it can't use this area to compress the air so it only builds up in the pipes. I know liquids don't compress well so there must be a shutoff pressure in the water pump. Am I correct? Many thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated! Dan
Can't help you with that detail as I don't need to winterize. Somebody else will chime in.

It's my understanding that part of the winterization process is to bypass the hot water tank; I think most take the anode out to drain it for the winter. Otherwise you'd be putting a whole 6 gallons of anti-freeze in there!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
You probably already tried this, but...to pump through the shower you have to open the sink faucet then pull up the shower button on the sink, and then open the valve on the shower head.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd suggest removing the shower hose from the sink and just winterize the sink, save some antifreeze and keeps it off your shower walls.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I pour the anti freeze into the fresh tank and pump it through everything except the HW tank . No biggie just flush real well in the spring and your off RV ' ing.
Never mind the air and piping this to that it's just a bunch of un necessary operations .
M2c

Tags
antifreeze, water pump