Northern New Mexico/Southern Colorado in August? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2023, 05:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Northern New Mexico/Southern Colorado in August?

We will be in northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado in August to escape the Texas heat. Any gatherings planned we might be able to drop into?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
We will be in northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado in August to escape the Texas heat. Any gatherings planned we might be able to drop into?
No formal ones that I know of. Keep Linda and I posted on your northern New Mexico plans and maybe we can meet you all some where. We spend a lot of time up there especially near Cuba. Lots of dispersed camping and our favorite NFS campground, Clear Creek.

Gino, Linda and Sage a.k.a SageRpod
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
No formal ones that I know of. Keep Linda and I posted on your northern New Mexico plans and maybe we can meet you all some where. We spend a lot of time up there especially near Cuba. Lots of dispersed camping and our favorite NFS campground, Clear Creek.

Gino, Linda and Sage a.k.a SageRpod
Hmm, sounds like a nice place. Have you been to Fenton Lake, and if so, how did you like it there?

Summer is a great time to be under the evergreens in the mountains, and a lake is a plus!
Old 06-16-2023, 07:09 AM   #4

Thanks, will be in touch when we have a better idea on when and where we will be.

Who knows, maybe we can just have a 'pop up' gathering somewhere if folks want to get together informally.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Hmm, sounds like a nice place. Have you been to Fenton Lake, and if so, how did you like it there?

Summer is a great time to be under the evergreens in the mountains, and a lake is a plus!
Fenton Lake is really beautiful and really popular in the summer, so we try to avoid it until the Fall when school is back in session. Lots of campers and UTVs running amuck. Still, it's worth checking out if you haven't been there before.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Fenton Lake is really beautiful and really popular in the summer, so we try to avoid it until the Fall when school is back in session. Lots of campers and UTVs running amuck. Still, it's worth checking out if you haven't been there before.
Thanks for that. There's a bit of good news on the park webpage in regard to the UTVs:
No 4-wheelers, ATV's, UHV's, OHV's, UTV's, or anything in between allowed at Fenton.
Posting Dates: 11/3/2022 - ongoing
Suits me.

Looking at the map, I do see a ton of trails around there. I bet the dirt bikers and 4-wheelers have a ball in that forest. And maybe a few campers looking for boondock spots (as you mentioned previously). I shall have to go exploring one of these days.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for that. There's a bit of good news on the park webpage in regard to the UTVs:
No 4-wheelers, ATV's, UHV's, OHV's, UTV's, or anything in between allowed at Fenton.
Posting Dates: 11/3/2022 - ongoing
Suits me.

Looking at the map, I do see a ton of trails around there. I bet the dirt bikers and 4-wheelers have a ball in that forest. And maybe a few campers looking for boondock spots (as you mentioned previously). I shall have to go exploring one of these days.
Mike G. Remember we are talking Norther New Mexico. What is not allowed and what really happens are two different things!

There is a section of the BRD nearby so you will see lots of the bigger adventure bikes and yes, lots of great dirt bike riding out there as well. Rode out there quite a bit when I healed faster if you know what I mean
Old 07-05-2023, 06:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

An update: We stopped by for a picnic on Sunday. The lake recreation area was packed to the gills. If you can go with hookups, the stream-side sites are quiet and beautiful. The area with hook-ups was crazy crowded.

Park rangers there are plentiful and patrol regularly. You are correct, no OHVs allowed and none to be seen.

Unfortunately something happened at the lake while we were there and a number of emergency vehicles arrived. The Park was closed shortly after. Hope everyone concerned is okay. Headed back into the woods. Talk later.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
An update: We stopped by for a picnic on Sunday. The lake recreation area was packed to the gills. If you can go with hookups, the stream-side sites are quiet and beautiful. The area with hook-ups was crazy crowded.

Park rangers there are plentiful and patrol regularly. You are correct, no OHVs allowed and none to be seen.

Unfortunately something happened at the lake while we were there and a number of emergency vehicles arrived. The Park was closed shortly after. Hope everyone concerned is okay. Headed back into the woods. Talk later.
Thanks for sharing your findings! Yep, "Hookups? We don' need no stinking hookups!"
Old 07-07-2023, 04:17 PM   #10

NM, CO Railroads and Pets

As part of our NM/CO trip we want to take the steam railroads out of Chama and Durango. I have learned that they do not allow pets, so we are looking for dog sitters in each city. Any recommendations or tips?
Old 07-07-2023, 07:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
As part of our NM/CO trip we want to take the steam railroads out of Chama and Durango. I have learned that they do not allow pets, so we are looking for dog sitters in each city. Any recommendations or tips?
Hi marant,

If you don't get a better suggestion on pet sitters, you might try the website "Rover". My daughter did pet sitting & dog walking through that site, & it worked quite well. Like with Uber, both the service provider & the service user rate each other, so you can see the ratings of anyone you might consider using. If I recall, the fees are negotiated between the parties, with Rover getting a small cut.

Enjoy the train rides. We did the one out of Durango years ago - recommended.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 01:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Both of those trains are wonderful trips done both a couple of times. Well worth the money great scenery on both. On the Durango you go by a couple of wonderful waterfalls
Old 07-09-2023, 08:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
We've take both the Chama and the Durango rides. Personally, I liked Chama better though the Durango ride is more popular.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #14

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your findings! Yep, "Hookups? We don' need no stinking hookups!"
It's not camping if you need hookups. We want to get away from the noise and the beerlights.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-09-2023, 10:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Thanks, will be in touch when we have a better idea on when and where we will be.

Who knows, maybe we can just have a 'pop up' gathering somewhere if folks want to get together informally.
Please post the date and place when you are ready. We may be interested if we can find a nice camp ground with electricity and water hookup to escape the Arkansas heat and humidity.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:39 PM   #16
Site Team

Clear Creek campground has a very nice group camp area. It is in the Santa Fe National Forest north of Cuba, NM at about 8600' asl. No hookups, but they do have a water hydrant to fill containers. This is one of our favorite campgrounds: clean and quiet. The area is spectacular in the Fall but closes the last weekend in October. Last year we stayed the weekend before it closed and drove home in snow flurries.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Please post the date and place when you are ready. We may be interested if we can find a nice camp ground with electricity and water hookup to escape the Arkansas heat and humidity.

Tonny LR
Right now our early itinerary is to Tye, TX for one night, then to Palo Duro SP for a couple of nights, then to Santa Rosa NM for a couple of nights. From there we will go to Chama NM for 3-4 nights to take the steam train. After that we will go to Chaco Canyon for a couple of days. Plan to take the gravel road into Chaco, but very slowly. After that we will head to the Durango area for another steam train.

Why Tye, TX? It is a dumpy little RV park about the right distance for the first day. In addition to that, it is right at the departure end of the runway for Dyess AFB. If they are flying a perfect place to watch B-1 and C-130 aircraft fly. Nothing much more impressive (and louder) than a B-1 in full afterburner 3-400 feet overhead as they leave, especially at night. As a former USAF 130 pilot I think it is great. My DW not so much.

Anyone interested can PM me for details and projected dates.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Why Tye, TX? It is a dumpy little RV park about the right distance for the first day. In addition to that, it is right at the departure end of the runway for Dyess AFB. If they are flying a perfect place to watch B-1 and C-130 aircraft fly. Nothing much more impressive (and louder) than a B-1 in full afterburner 3-400 feet overhead as they leave, especially at night. As a former USAF 130 pilot I think it is great. My DW not so much.
Your wife is a saint to put up with that noise for you.

Music to my ears would be hearing loons calling at night out on the lake.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:42 AM   #19

"Your wife is a saint to put up with that noise for you. "

Absolutely, and she has been for 53 years!