21' Escape - Coming Soon - Photo mock up and floorplan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
21' Escape - Coming Soon - Photo mock up and floorplan

Ok...the photo is a bit rough...but I hope you will get the idea I am shooting for.

Reace
Attached Thumbnails
21\' Floorplan small.jpg   21\' photo shop small.jpg  
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Re: 21' Escape - Coming Soon - Photo mock up and floorplan

I know some people want the bed up front but I wonder why. If you back into most places, then the front is likely the street side. I would want the bed in back right where it is in the 19'. Does the front bed have some advantage?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

This layout wil be nice for the people who realy like the dinnete in the rear, and it looks like there will be a bit more open floor space. the front bed is a doudle not a queen isn't it?
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Where we usually boon-dock, the location of the dinette is moot, as either end would give us a good view, though we rarely eat at it, preferring the great outdoors. As far as campsites go, there too I have probably had at least as many that offer a view to the front, as much as a view to the rear, though some of the ones that do offer a view to the rear, have an awesome view, like backing onto a lake.

This layout does look to be quite open.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #5

I was realy curious as to what this would be like. I don't see any real advantage for us over a 19 ft, In fact the front bed is not as apealing to me, i think queen in the 19 ft is better suited for us and i am not sure how i would feel with a solid wall beside the bed for the bathroom, it might be a little to closed in for me. I am with you Jim I don't realy see the advantage of the rear dinnete, we almost never eat inside and in fact our dinnete will be almost always be as a bed for our daughter. But hey for some people the rear dinnete is a big thing so here is the alternative.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA

Evolution in progress! Waiting to see the competed design and specifications.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

I hate to be the naysayer in this but I gotta tell ya I think that Escape could well be shooting themselves in the foot with this offering. They have strongly established themselves in a niche in the travel trailer market that needed filling and have done it well. Rather than succumbing to a case of "two-footitis", I feel they should continue to improve on their current product line. I would hate to see the "small rig with big comfort" get lost in the rush to be all things to all people.

I know Escape is not about to consult me regarding their marketing plans but I am a bit skeptical about this one. We'll have to wait and see how it sells.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #8

I think they'll do just fine.. I personally like the corner bed and dinette in back.. The fridge may be larger as well not too sure..

But since the build them on demand.. The cost will be in building the mold and putting together the first one.. Everything else will be as the sales drive it.. I'm sure the guts will be the same..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 17

Doug, you might have missed The number one selling trailer was the half ton towable 22 feet to 38' in North America.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21

Wow, I like it, a lot!

What I like:

Front bed / Rear dinette. When one needs to be inside, usually due to weather, the best view is usually out the back of the trailer. Out the front is, almost always, the back end of your tow vehicle and the campground road. Putting the bed up front allows the "living room" (dinette) to be in the back where the view is likely to be better and a little more private.

Front bath. I also like the bathroom out of the middle of the trailer. The bath in the middle, for me, visually makes the trailer feel smaller. It forces the available floor space to be long and narrow.

Full size bed. Building a compact trailer always involves compromises on how much space to devote to what. For me, a queen size bed is overkill. Full size is plenty fine. At home, where we have 1600 sqft to work with, I like a queen size bed (and being able to walk around it). In a trailer, full size works fine (it is bigger than the bed in the 17'). As a bonus, in this layout, no more crawl over required in the middle of the night since the bed is north/south. It is an end crawl (like the 5.0), but, you don't have to climb stairs first. You have to compromise somewhere to get it all in.

No growth in the width. The trailer will still be compact, lightweight, and easy to tow and manuever.

What I hope for:

Windows! There is nothing like letting in lots of light to help make the space feel larger and less confining, expecially windows on all four walls. The 19' is pretty good that way, but, of necessity limited by the "big brown wall" down the left side.

A minor thing ... I would keep the fridge/microwave stack from the 19' and make that left side counter a little larger, like the one in the 5.0 (cabinets above and below), allowing another window in the middle of the left side.

An observation ... There appears to be a little space left over at the end of the bed. I am thinking that eases entry into the bed by leaving a little aisle between the bed and cabinet. Might want to consider giving that up by not stretching the body quite the full two feet and make a true 21'. Sometimes smaller is better. Back to those compromises ...

Great job! Looking forward to what comes next.

Bill
keager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #11

Maybe so, but these trailers are pulled by the half- or three quarter-ton gas guzzlers that will also be required to pull the 21. I just think the uniqueness of the Escape trailers will be lost with the addition of the 21.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
davel

I find it interesting that in this economy and fuel prices a larger heavier trailer would be needed. I agree with nuthatchBC that they continue to improve the line. One suggestion I have is get a full size bed in the 17. I had a long talk with Reese and it comes down to moving the door forward about 2 feet. This would allow a mini 19 floor plan. Personally the bed size has kept me from buying. I looked long and hard at the 19 and don't want the extra size and weight.

Dave
Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 17

Half ton size towable being the greatest public demand, as in best selling, makes me personally not skeptical at all. It would be nice if that front bed hinged up on gas shocks to get at under bed storage. No spouse crawl over looks nice. It will be fun to see how it all works out in the end. Maybe we will be able so see how the molds are coming along in the future like in the past with the 5th and 19. A new mold does not come around very often
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #14

I couldn't resist a sketch of my own. I'm calling this the "Rob and Laura Petrie" for reasons that become apparent when you see the sketch. At least it solves the problem of climbing over each other to get out of bed. : --Liz
Attached Thumbnails
Rob and Laura sm.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Liz, I like the twin bed concept, it would have to be a reverse layout though, as you have the door over a wheel well, which would not work.

Your naming it is like the joke about the ceiling, it is over my head.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21

Heavier is a relative term. Adding 2' of fiberglass and frame will probably only be around 350 to 400 pounds (check the dry weights of the 15, 17, and 19). A lot of the weight is equipment, not shell. I am betting Reese brings the 21' in under 3000 pounds dry (my guess is 2900 pounds). Even loaded for the road the Escape 21 is probably going to weigh about the same as the majority of the 17' Casitas out there. No half ton pickup required. If you are comfortable towing a Escape 19, you should be just as comfortable with an Escape 21. SUV's, small pickups, and properly equipped minvans should just fine for this Escape. In my opinion, this is an improvement to the Escape product line, not a departure from it.
keager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Dmac and davel, I was thinking the same things. Escape is about to leave the realm of lightweight trailers with a 21'. As far as I am concerned, the 19' is the biggest fiberglass egg that can be towed with a mid-sized SUV. What TV is being suggested for this 21'.

The bed is probably the biggest deal to people. I would have liked a 17' but we didn't get one mostly because of the bed. If the 17' were changed as you mention to have a bigger bed, that would sell many more 17s.

I am guessing that they will drop either the 17' or 19' or 15' (as they pretty much dropped the 13') because they will figure there is too much overlap and not enough market. Maybe they will still take orders for what is dropped like they do for the 13'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I was at the Escape factory today getting my refrigerator fixed (THANKS, REACE!!!) If you get a chance to go to Chilliwack, ask him to walk you through the mock up of the 21' they have put together in a 19' shell. Seeing it in 3D gives you an idea of how open the feel is. Of course, there are probably as many ideas on layout are there are people, but the basic plan looks good.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #19

Reace is not one to jump into something new without a lot of thinking. They are missing the 21ft market. Bigfoot is building a 21 front bed in limited supply for dealers. Used Bigfoot 21's are hard to find. At Bandon Reace spent a lot of time looking over two 21ft Bigfoot's. New molds are very expensive to make and Reace said he may lengthen the 19ft body to 21 without a lot of costs. No other manufacturer has ever asked trailer owners what they would like to have in a new model.
Chuck
Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #20

lets face it, Tammy and Reece have a buisness that has to be profitable thats the reality. If they feel that there is market fir this trailer and it will help their buisness then all the power to them, they build several different trailers so that people with different tastes have choices. I would imagine they have had interest in a 21 ft or they would not be putting resources into it. Just becasue a trailer is different to what a individual already has doesn't make it a poor idea it just makes it a different option for others