Baffle for 4.3 and 6.7 fridges - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm a little baffled now. In post#20 here, Reace stated that the baffles did not seem to work, so why would someone undertake this change?

Old 07-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #72

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Reace started his post with this: "Well...the fridge saga continues. Although the fridges definitely work better with the baffle installed, there is a limit."

Like many problems, there is evidently no single solution. Differing approaches working in tandem are hopefully going to make these larger RV refers work without having to constantly worry about food spoilage.

Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #73

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm a little baffled now. In post#20 here, Reace stated that the baffles did not seem to work, so why would someone undertake this change?
I think Reace is just echoing what alot of others have said -- that high ambient temps cause absorption fridges to not work well. Even if the baffling/venting system is "near perfect" as he quoted from the Norcold site, there may not be enough of a temperature difference at the top to allow condensation to happen.

For those who live and camp in colder climates, I don't really see an issue, unless there's something defective in the unit. Sure, there will be days when it's hotter than others, and the fridge performance may suffer, but not enough to look for another technology IMHO.

But, we live in South Texas, and we plan to camp here alot as well. Since our build hasn't been started yet, I'm looking more and more into the possibility of an ac/dc compressor fridge. With one solar panel we should be able to run for a couple days off grid. If we add more solar, who knows?
Old 07-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #74

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
I assume we have the new baffle in our 4.3 cf and I am happy to report that we had absolutely no problem holding the temperature in 97F (36C) weather. Love our fridge, love our trailer.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"Definitely work better" is enough for me to spend a Saturday on it. At least when I'm done with the baffle, fans, and insulation I will know I have it is the best it can be.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Well, Tom, how did you do today?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Well I had some time today so decided to start looking at how I was going to install the new baffle design on my Escape 19 trailer. And to my surprise the baffle design where already installed on my trailer. My trailer was manufactured middle of this last last April. What's funny is when I had just talked with ETI yesterday they told me my trailer was to early to have the new baffle system installed on it. So I guess the moral of this story is if your trailer was manufactured around April or May time line of this year you should check to see if you do are don't have the new baffle design before you do anything. As most of you Escapers already know if you can see the outlet as in the attached picture then you have the new baffle design.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #78

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Found I have the new baffle setup in my TA, completion date early June. Also found there is an on/off switch and fuse inside the fridge access vent for the Texas Fan, shipped position is off (see below). Guess there was a good reason I did not hear it running when it got hot out. It goes to a single fan located at the top of the fridge, same area as what looks like the temp sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fan Switch 1.jpg (53.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg fan switch2.jpg (36.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #79

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Picture of my baffle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (118.0 KB, 53 views)

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #80

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We have a trip planned next weekend so not today although I did look at it and do some planning. Fridge removal is very easy just will need a hand by someone other then the wife (she don't read the forum). I really wanted to just jerk it out and go for it but resisted. Also while at Lowes I looked at different insulation I might use and found out they don't sell 1X1 just 1X2 so will probably just use them. Will probably move the electrical plug too because I had the fridge come unplugged once. Need time to order some fans and switches once it's out too.

I will have a bunch of material left over too like most of a 4X8 sheet of paneling and extra insulation so maybe I can talk my mod partner Parker into coming to Tennessee and we could have a fridge mod session.