Escape forced to change stove - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #61

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We had a Camp Chef oven when we had our 17. It seemed like a quality unit, but didn’t get used much, mostly because we couldn’t stow it in an easily accessible location, so was a chore to unload. We spent a year driving around, exploring in the 17, and ready access to an oven was missed. It was one of the main reasons we moved up to a 19 with a built in oven. That and the big bed!

So we hauled around the Camp Chef for a year, and learned that it doesn’t do great in windy conditions, and outdoor cooking is fine if weather *and* bugs cooperate. But the oven was less fun in cold temps or buggy conditions.

With the 19 and the built in its all moot. In trade we gave up some storage, but we do stow some stuff in the oven anyway when not in use. Oven gets used regularly now.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #62

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How often do you cook with the burners turned full up?
Trying to simmer is often more of an issue.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #63

We use burners both full on and simmer-low, and elsewhere in between, every day that we’re trailering.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As for the new stove, wish we had that!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape 17B (6/28/18)
Only 5800 BTU? EFI is kidding, right?

We're worried about the loss of BTUs with the new stove. In the 17B we have on order, there appears only to be enough room for a two burner unit (preferably sideways) - without sacrificing all the remaining counter space.

In our current Scamp 16, we replaced the stock low-output 3 burner drop-in with an Atwood/Wedgewood slide-in 3 burner with a 9000 BTU front burner and two 6500 BTU rear burners - mainly to have a faster cooking/boiling burner. How long does one want to wait for morning coffee?

We are not interested in having only 5800 BTUs for our largest burner.

We will talk to EFI about installing something like the ENO 2 burner Marine stove: http:///www.westmarine.com/buy/eno--...90?recordNum=5
Also availiable from Defender Marine http://defender.com at a better discount.

If EFI isn't able to do something like this, I guess, we'll just wait till we have the 17B and rip out/replace the factory installed drop-in cooktop.
After several ocean cruising sailboats (in my younger years) and 2 previous camp trailers, we find our cooking time together one of the best parts of camping.

Eric & Aline
Machinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How often do you cook with the burners turned full up?
Trying to simmer is often more of an issue.
While we mostly use the burner on summer, we do use it on high a lot too. Think water for coffee,such alone is good reason for a day boil.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #67

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinator View Post
... In our current Scamp 16, we replaced the stock low-output 3 burner drop-in with an Atwood/Wedgewood slide-in 3 burner with a 9000 BTU front burner and two 6500 BTU rear burners - mainly to have a faster cooking/boiling burner.
Anyone who likes that Atwood/Wedgewood slide-in cooktop, and is ordering a model other than the 17', might try asking ETI about installing one of those. It is the stove-only version of the stove-and-oven range which is optional in the larger Escape models, so they can get them and are familiar with the installation. It probably wouldn't fit in the 17', because either the sink or the stove must be over the furnace, and there isn't much depth available before crowding the furnace.

These slide-in units can be mounted lower in the cabinet, allowing for a flush cover... again, in the larger models where there is enough vertical space available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #68

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinator View Post
... If EFI isn't able to do something like this, I guess, we'll just wait till we have the 17B and rip out/replace the factory installed drop-in cooktop.
You might want to ask about the available vertical space from the counter surface down to the closest that you can get to the furnace - that is a limitation on what cooktop can be installed in the 17'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #69

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My first trailer had no heater, my second trailer had no bath, I was so happy to have heat and a bath and a kitchen in my third trailer. As long as the appliances worked I was a happy camper as it certainly was better than the alternatives. I had no choice in any of my trailers, other than Escape, as to type and make of appliance, you took what they gave you. Airstreams do not offer choices and they are very expensive. Just to put every thing in perspective.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #70

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Suburban got back to me and the output of the new SDS2-RV stove is 5800 BTU per burner.

For what it's worth this is 700 BTU less than the current Suburban 2 burner stove and 1400 BTU less than the large burner on the 2 or 3 burner Atwood currently used by ETI.
Thanks for looking into this for us ordering new trailers.
As I said, I love the looks of the new stove but now I am a little concerned about the lowish BTUs. However it is 2,100 more BTUs than the Dometic 3BR-1040132 RV: 3 burners @ 3700 BTU. I would assume that a company like Dometic would have not produced a stove that would not boil water.
That said...we cook outside unless the bugs and weather are bad. If we have power we use a dual hot plate inside.
It will probably do.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
also, for things like boiling water for coffee, that 9000 btu flame is likely larger than your kettle, so most of that heat will go to waste.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
If the prevailing attitude regarding tow vehicles is similar to that for tow vehicles, some will be satisfied with the smaller BTU output stoves that do the job perfectly well, while others will only feel comfortable if the stove has enough BTU's to bring a gallon of water to a boil in under a minute. Pick the one that makes you warm and fuzzy inside, but not from your stoves high BTU output.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #73

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
BTW all, I did email ETI and the stove change does not affect the stove/oven combo, fyi...
I was just curious, I personally am not worried about BTU, as really, I think you use the same amount of propane with less/more BTU in theory, you just wait longer/shorter, and when I'm camping, I've got nothing but time. Just my take on this present discussion
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #74

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We use burners both full on and simmer-low, and elsewhere in between, every day that we’re trailering.
We have a high BTU stove at home, but I think we'd need full blast in a camper quite a bit, boiling water for various things.

After a heavy week of baking biscuits, beer bread, and granola at home, I'm being walked to the oven/stove side! Reading that Camp Chef stoves are fickle, and being reminded that weather and bugs may also deter from use, I'm wavering. That combined with the lower BTU stoves, despite that they look great!

How much does the installed oven heat up the interior?
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #75

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My first trailer had no heater, my second trailer had no bath, I was so happy to have heat and a bath and a kitchen in my third trailer. As long as the appliances worked I was a happy camper as it certainly was better than the alternatives. I had no choice in any of my trailers, other than Escape, as to type and make of appliance, you took what they gave you. Airstreams do not offer choices and they are very expensive. Just to put every thing in perspective.
This is so true. On some level I wish there were less choices
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
How much does the installed oven heat up the interior?

We’ve only had our built-in since August so can’t comment on use in warm weather. I’ll just say that you *must* run the hood vent during use, and that should suck a lot of residual heat, as well as combustion byproducts, straight outside. Also, do not stack anything heat sensitive, eg spice jars, on the narrow counter strip behind the stovetop. That’s where the oven vents its hotness. And if you do, ahem, happen to make this mistake, we’ll, then it’s your excuse to get a whole new ensemble of spices. (You can surmise how I figured this out.)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Spices need to be stored in a cool, dark place, no matter how pretty the little jars are.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #78

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Thanks for looking into this for us ordering new trailers.
As I said, I love the looks of the new stove but now I am a little concerned about the lowish BTUs. However it is 2,100 more BTUs than the Dometic 3BR-1040132 RV: 3 burners @ 3700 BTU. I would assume that a company like Dometic would have not produced a stove that would not boil water.
That said...we cook outside unless the bugs and weather are bad. If we have power we use a dual hot plate inside.
It will probably do.
No problem. I only listed the BTU’s for some perspective across different brands/models. There is absolutely no doubt the new stove will be perfectly fine for most users.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #79

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
If the prevailing attitude regarding tow vehicles is similar to that for tow vehicles, some will be satisfied with the smaller BTU output stoves that do the job perfectly well, while others will only feel comfortable if the stove has enough BTU's to bring a gallon of water to a boil in under a minute. Pick the one that makes you warm and fuzzy inside, but not from your stoves high BTU output.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #80

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE...."Effective April 1, 2018 Escape Trailer Industries will be installing a stainless steel 2- burner cooktop (Suburban SDS2 – RV) as their standard cooktop.”

I would like to know the price of that new Escape 2-burner recessed cooktop but Escapes' website does not tell it, Amazon doesn't sell it, and Suburban's website doesn't list that model. They do show their Euro Series model, (the FC1336 flush mount) pictured here.

By the way, Donna, I have this Walmart pot, and it has become my go-to-pot for everything. Think it would work on a recessed burner regardless of model.
Attached Thumbnails
Suburban stovetop.jpg   stove4.jpg