Question Regarding he Anderson Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Question Regarding he Anderson Hitch

I have read numerous threads about the Anderson Ultimate Hitch, most folks seem pretty happy with theirs. However, I recently read a post where a person comments about how much he dislikes this hitch; apparently every time he goes to unhitch his 5th wheel, the ball catches and lifts the truck up and then drops the 5th wheel onto its stabilizer legs with a bang! This obviously has me very worried now.

I would appreciate any comments from owners of the Ultimate Hitch and any problems they have had while disconnecting from it, thanks in advance.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
And another unrelated question about the Andersen hitch - where do the safety chains attach to the trailer? Is there someplace on the kingpin arm that they can clip onto, or does some modification need to be made? I know if you get an Andersen that ETI will install the adapter on the kingpin, will they also take care of whatever is needed to hookup your safety chains?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
I have read numerous threads about the Anderson Ultimate Hitch, most folks seem pretty happy with theirs. However, I recently read a post where a person comments about how much he dislikes this hitch; apparently every time he goes to unhitch his 5th wheel, the ball catches and lifts the truck up and then drops the 5th wheel onto its stabilizer legs with a bang!
I'm confused, too... I don't understand how this could happen, because the Andersen Ultimate coupler has a very simple design with just a cylindrical socket for the ball, with a nylon liner in the top and a straight pin to go under the ball, which pulls entirely out of the way. I wonder if one version of the funnel which guides the ball into the coupler has a lip that catches the ball... and perhaps only if not installed properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
And another unrelated question about the Andersen hitch - where do the safety chains attach to the trailer? Is there someplace on the kingpin arm that they can clip onto, or does some modification need to be made?
There are two horizontal bolts which secure the Andersen coupler to the king pin. Andersen offers substitute bolts which have a loop (or "eye") attached to the head; that's where they intend for you to attach safety chains. Other anchors could be constructed, but so far I have only seen people using the Andersen kit.

Quote:
I know if you get an Andersen that ETI will install the adapter on the kingpin, will they also take care of whatever is needed to hookup your safety chains?
I can only guess that if you get the safety chain kit with these bolts, ETI will use them for the installation and attach the chains.

You do need somewhere on the truck for the safety chains to attach. Andersen seems to think that the hitch frame is appropriate, but it does not seem appropriate to me. The popular solutions are to either:
  • use the safety chain anchors provided with a ball-in-bed ("gooseneck") hitch if that's what anchors your Andersen, or
  • use safety chain loops that pin into the hitch mounting rails, if your Andersen is rail-mounted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
I apparently every time he goes to unhitch his 5th wheel, the ball catches and lifts the truck up and then drops the 5th wheel onto its stabilizer legs with a bang! This obviously has me very worried now.
If properly installed I do not understand why this would happen unless the slide pin is not being pulled out completely. I have the Anderson and never had that problem. If this was a common problem you would hear about it much more and I have never heard this being a problem.

Quote:
And another unrelated question about the Andersen hitch - where do the safety chains attach to the trailer? Is there someplace on the kingpin arm that they can clip onto, or does some modification need to be made? I know if you get an Andersen that ETI will install the adapter on the kingpin, will they also take care of whatever is needed to hookup your safety chains?
If you purchase the Anderson safety chain kit. It comes with bolts that have rings on the end of them. These bolts replace the ones for the King Pin Adapter. The other end of chain is connected onto the rails or rings installed in the bed of truck depending on the hitch attachment style.

Keep in mind older Anderson hitch's with the black metal cone that comes with the king pin adapter have a shorter bolt then the ones for late model Anderson king pin adapters that come with the Red plastic cone. Other words make sure the Anderson chain kit is the correct kit for the Anderson hitch you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Chain Kit DSC_1677.jpg   Safety Chain Kit rm3230_500.jpg   3221-lowered-flatbed-ultimate-connection-webjpg20170504023109.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
I have read numerous threads about the Anderson Ultimate Hitch, most folks seem pretty happy with theirs. However, I recently read a post where a person comments about how much he dislikes this hitch; apparently every time he goes to unhitch his 5th wheel, the ball catches and lifts the truck up and then drops the 5th wheel onto its stabilizer legs with a bang! This obviously has me very worried now.

I would appreciate any comments from owners of the Ultimate Hitch and any problems they have had while disconnecting from it, thanks in advance.
. I’ve had my 5.0TA with the Andersen hitch for almost 2 years now. And , like most, I’m very happy with it. Only one time did I have a small issue when disconnecting the trailer from the truck and believe it was pilot error! The site had a slight pitch downhill as I backed in. I put the tire chocks behind the rear wheels of the trailer and proceeded to raise the trailer off the ball. Apparently the chocks where not tight to the tires as the trailer rolled slightly backwards and the front jacks almost fell off the blocks I put under them. So now, I always check to make sure the trailer is solidly chocked. Also if there is too much pressure forward or aft between the ball and receiver,it is very difficult to release the locking pin. When this happens, after chocking the trailer I just put the truck in neutral and it will move enough to release the pressure. Set the parking brake, shift to park and the hitch locking pin will release. Then the trailer rises off the ball easily. The question about the safety chains... The safety chain accessory kit from Andersen comes with bolts that have rings attached. These bolts replace the bolts that attach the receiver to the trailer pin. I attach the truck side to the pop-up rings that came with the B&W turn over gooseneck ball kit. After the first couple of times hooking up and unhooking, I figured out how to use this hitch! It’s really easy! Solid as a rock, an no chucking noises that some 5th wheel hitch’s have. I purchased the aluminum version and it’s very lightweight and easily removed from the bed. Highly recommend it!
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

🤔 By stabilizer legs they mean the landing gear? How do you drop the trailer onto the the things that are lifting it? I think what may have happened was that the trailer was not properly chocked before lifting and there was a side load on the ball. There is no lip that can catch the ball. I could not be happier with my Anderson hitch.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I've found that by chocking the front wheel (to the front) and the rear wheel (to the rear) it eliminates all jumping/skipping if you are raising up the trailer off the Andersen hitch even if there is some tension due to slope.

I'm very happy with the Andersen setup.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
We have never had any problem unhitching. I do not see had one could, unless you somehow loaded or tensioned the connection (maybe by starting to raise the trailer before unlatching?).
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We purchased Reese rails for our 2015 F150. The Andersen pins that hold the hitch to the rails rock and cause the hitch to clunk when starting. This week I'll be installing a shim to stop the clunking. It seems others don't have this problem, but we do. If I had it to do over again I'd install the gooseneck version.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
KMG

Quote:

To me, something doesn't seem right with what you describe is happening.
When you unhitch you release the hitch and lower the trailer leg. If the hitch doesn't release and the legs extending raise the truck, how can the trailer drop on to it's legs? If the legs are raising the truck then they are on the ground. Sorry if I'm reading it wrong. Thanks
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:

I had the catching problem, but not the dropping action. For me the trick is do not turn off the truck when unhitching or hitching up. When the truck with an automatic transmission is turned off, the truck moves very slightly forward or backwards even with the parking brake on and this is enough to put pressure on the ball. Happens with bumper pull trailers too.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #13

Thanks so much to all of the people who responded to my inquiry After reading your replies I almost wonder if this individual was not using the release cable properly or perhaps did not install the hitch properly. I have read many more reviews on these hitches and the majority really like them.

I am seriously considering getting the Anderson Ultimate hitch. Hopefully some of you folks are at the rally this year and we can discuss further. Of course you may have to drink one of my beers in return
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Scenario not possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
To me, something doesn't seem right with what you describe is happening.
When you unhitch you release the hitch and lower the trailer leg. If the hitch doesn't release and the legs extending raise the truck, how can the trailer drop on to it's legs? If the legs are raising the truck then they are on the ground. Sorry if I'm reading it wrong. Thanks
I agree. It's not possible to lift the trailer without the jacks being on the ground.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We purchased Reese rails for our 2015 F150. The Andersen pins that hold the hitch to the rails rock and cause the hitch to clunk when starting. This week I'll be installing a shim to stop the clunking. It seems others don't have this problem, but we do. If I had it to do over again I'd install the gooseneck version.

Enjoy,

Perry
Have you made your shims yet? I checked my setup and I have 1/6” or less vertical play.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Have you made your shims yet? I checked my setup and I have 1/6” or less vertical play.
As a matter of fact, I installed front and rear shims yesterday, and am guessing there is now 1/16" or less, of vertical play (hard to measure). We leave on the 23rd for AZ, so we'll find out if this fixed the clunking. Pretty sure it's over though.

Today I'm going to raise the hitch on the 5.0 to the upper set of holes so I can raise the ball in the pickup. The camper was setup incorrectly at Escape. Currently it sits a little over 1 1/2" too high in front. If my math is correct we should be within +-1/4" from level. We left our trikes at home on the maiden voyage, so this time we'll have the trikes in the bed of the pickup and want as much clearance for the tires as we can get. Clearance for the trike tires is the reason why we purchased the lift kit.

The weather here is snowless, grey, and dreary. Can't wait to head south!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #17

How thick are your shims?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
How thick are your shims?
I haven't my trailer yet, but I am wondering if this is what would work?

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...Dampeners.aspx

(i am trying to attach a picture, but it doesn't seem to be working!)
Attached Thumbnails
1.png  
Old 01-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I haven't my trailer yet, but I am wondering if this is what would work?

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...Dampeners.aspx

(i am trying to attach a picture, but it doesn't seem to be working!)
🤔 for $3 I’d give them a try.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
Ours has never given us a bit of grief. When we raise the front stabilizers to release the trailer from the truck, the truck gradually lifts then releases. Sometimes it will raise up about 1/2" higher than its normal position before it releases, then rebound back down that 1/2", but I don't think that tiny bounce is anything to worry about. Wouldn't trade our Anderson for any normal 5th wheel hitch.
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote