Go ahead and laugh. I'm cool! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Go ahead and laugh. I'm cool!

Okay, I'll admit it. Curiosity got the better of me and I laid down the money to get an IcyBreeze cooler / air conditioner. Yes I did! $469.93.

This is actually a fairly impressive machine. It carries a lifetime, fully transferable warranty that requires only the presence of the machine to activate. Nice. The components seems to be high quality. Made in America. I bought the 10 amp battery, their biggest one.

So the first thing I did was give it the old acid test. I closed up all the windows and turned off the fans and let the trailer get up to 93° with 27% humidity. Full Sun beating down on it and taking the temperature of the slanted wall in the sleeper compartment, the temp was 103° at it's worst, near the moonroof. After 4 pm the temp went down to about 90° outside. The trailer was very hot and getting hotter. Full Sun.

I put about 20 lbs of ice in a very warm cooler, added three quarts of water and tested out the fan and the heat exchanger. This unit does not increase the humidity as it cools the air. As you know this is a deal killer if this does not work.

The first hour I powered it by using my Prymax 500WH portable power supply. The fan alone takes 21 watts on low, 28 watts on medium and 30 watts on high. When you turn on the heat exchanger it consumes 37 watts (and ice). After about 10 minutes, I put it in full blast cooling mode and high fan and switched the power source to the trailer! Then I pointed it at the dinette and sat down in that heat and drank a beer. I got to get something out of this test.

After 30 minutes the temp inside the trailer dropped to 90.5°. The IcyBreeze exhaust was pointed directly at me. I liked it and it kept me cool enough to stay inside the trailer with all the windows shut. Then the ice ran out.

So I went back to the ice store and bought 40 lbs. I filled up the cooler and drained a bunch of water off. Less water means colder water to circulate.

The temp started to go down more when I decided to open the windows to judge the effect of incoming air. The temp went right back up to 93°. So I sealed it up again, turned on the MaxxFan and a smaller one I have and had another beer.

Again I got the temp down to 90.5° in about 30 minutes. Two hours later it was down to 86.1°. The Sun was still beating on it. The later in the day I tested, the easier it was for the IcyBreeze to cool down the trailer. I would cool it off even more if I gave it more time.

My estimation is; it worked. I could stay in the trailer the whole time. I wish it was a little cooler but it did work. The humidity bounced a percent or two but never really got higher than 28%, except in short bursts. Probably from me. The trailer powered it while recovering from 81% back to 100% in about 30 minutes of low level sunlight. It can power this thing all day long (380 watts of solar charging).

Next test.
The following morning at around 8 am, the temp was already 77° inside the trailer. I plugged in the cooler to the trailer and only turned the fan on high. No condenser. I used the ice from last night. I did not add more. Just using the fan does not evaporate as much ice.

After 30 minutes the temp inside was down to 75°.

At 9 am the temp outside was 81° and inside it was still down to 76.6. I turned the fan to high and the heat exchanger on. The trailer walls were about 78°. Today is suppose to get to about 93°.

Here is the progression thru the day.
9:15; 75.9°
9:30; 75.3°
9:45; 75.3
10:00; 77.1° Ice change. 40 lbs.
10:15; 78.8° Vents were closed! 84° outside
10:30; 76.5 86° outside
10:45; 76.8
11:00; 77.7 88° outside
11:15; 79
11:30 80.1
11:45; 80.6 88° outside, 101.7 max ceiling temp by moonroof
Noon; 81.6 102.7 max ceiling temp by moonroof
12:50; 84.3 90° outside4 104.9 max ceiling temp by moonroof
2:00; 86.0 93° outside4 104.9 max ceiling temp by moonroof
2:20; 87.6° 91° outside. Ice change 20 lbs.
2:30; 86.6 70 db highest setting
2:45; 85.6
3:00; 85.2 90° outside
3:15; 84.7
4:00; 82.7

So there is a place in my equipment for this cooler. Mind you I have an impressive list. This test was with horrible conditions. Hot, direct Sun, no wind, in the corner of my driveway. No respite. As the Sun marched across the sky, it baked that trailer as bad as it gets! Power was fine. Humidity increase did not happen. db level was between 60 and 70 db.

Here is one more big thing. We had a nice, cool breeze the whole time. It was very nice and it made a very big difference even with the temp in the mid to high 80's. It totally cooled the dinette. It eats ice like crazy so you need to have 20 to 40 lbs for a big difference. Plus I drained out a lot of cold water cause I wanted to run this thing at maximum coolness. You could maximize efficiency in less than blow torch hot days by managing water better.

Why is this important? This was done away from conventional 30 amp service in worst case conditions. This is a feature I greatly desire when boondocking, which is common for us. I am about to start another trip with minimal power the entire way and my air conditioner refuses to start.

I also hate the conventional air conditioner because it is so loud! Way too loud for me. The decibel level of the IcyBreeze was never even half of the air conditioner. I would measure the db level of mine except it presently will not start. Am I repeating myself?

Is the IcyBreeze a perfect system? No! Not at all. But it's the only backup system I have. And if you add shade and less severe temperatures, it works even better. I only did full Sun, high heat tests. Plus it holds beer, wine and water (carbonated, I like bubbles).

It's coming with us to Michigan so we will give it a working test. It's gonna see lots of beach conditions and full Sun. If it doesn't work, I will hear about it. For sure. But for camping away from power, this is an option. And the breeze is totally understated.

I can send it back. Am I going to do that? No! I'm keeping it.

Does anyone know a really great, honest Dometic air conditioner repairman? Here or there, I got wheels.

-Tim, out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1879.jpg   IMG_1880.jpg   IcyBreeze-1.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
Gotta think that's blowing a lot of moisture
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 E19
Hey Tim!

Is the issue that the thermostat is not responsive to finger touch? If so, I have a spare Dometic Capacitive Touch (new in box) (white) that I can send you.

John (Wackyburggeezer)

BTW Nice bit of desperation research!
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
Hey Tim!

Is the issue that the thermostat is not responsive to finger touch? If so, I have a spare Dometic Capacitive Touch (new in box) (white) that I can send you.

John (Wackyburggeezer)

BTW Nice bit of desperation research!
Thanks John, unfortunately it starts to start up, then just dies out. Lasts about 20 seconds.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
Gotta think that's blowing a lot of moisture
None! It actually has a heat exchanger. No moisture is transferred to the outgoing air. If it did, I would send it back.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What does 40 lbs. of ice cost?
Old 07-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
$8. Yup!
Old 07-09-2021, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
~$5 USD in my neck of the woods, YMMV.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
The cooler breeze blowing right onto you is bound to be helpful. Glad you found something.

Where in Michigan are you headed? I grew up there and I enjoy getting back most summers (not last year or this year though). Let me know (PM or otherwise) if you want to know some points of interest.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The cooler breeze blowing right onto you is bound to be helpful. Glad you found something.

Where in Michigan are you headed? I grew up there and I enjoy getting back most summers (not last year or this year though). Let me know (PM or otherwise) if you want to know some points of interest.
Both peninsulas and at least one island. Favorite places. Lots of lakes, lots of cherries, blueberries and corn, tons of sand and perch!

I am going to eat perch sandwiches for over three weeks! Walleye and whitefish too!

Michigan rocks and yes, share your favorites! I grew up there too so did my wife from Kalamazoo!

Ending on a lake in Grand Rapids for a week of skiing and everything else!
Old 07-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Could you use block ice in it?
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Could you use block ice in it?
Absolutely if you can get it! And your results will be better.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
what about using gallons or half gallons of water, frozen?
Old 07-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
That’s quite a report. I was in Amish country one summer in about June or July. It was a furniture store. There was a sign “pop in cooler in the garage $.50.” I headed for the “garage”. There was a large conventional igloo cooler like a 100 quart model. I opened it up. 2/3 of the cooler had a huge block of ice and the other 1/3 about 15 cans of pop setting in about 4 inches of slightly murky water. There was a towel nailed to the wall above the cooler. I looked at the ice. There were sticks, leaves and some weeds in it. I knew instantly that it had been cut from a nearby lake or river months before and stored in an icehouse and was doing its job. The towel was to wipe the dirt and little pieces of leaves off the pop can. 50 cents, how could I go wrong?

I’ve had several good vacations in Michigan. Lots to do and see. My favorite is Kitchitikipee “The big spring” with the monster brown trout 50 feet below the raft and you can see them cruising about. That’s at Palms Book state park in the UP. Have a few beers and camp at Tahquenamon Falls. When you get tuned up, read aloud in full voice around your campfire a few pages about falls and the river from Longfellow’s, The Song of Hiawatha. You’ll be a star, at least in your own mind. I know I was. Good luck and have a great vacation.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-09-2021, 10:51 PM   #15

I wouldn't spoil the taste of fried perch by putting it between slices of bread! LOL.

Some of the spots that stand out to me (Big Spring has already been mentioned):

It's been a few years since I have been to Negwegon SP, but every time I have been there it's been deserted or nearly so. It's nice when one can have a beach pretty much to oneself.

Driving the Tunnel of Trees to Cross Village is always nice, with a Polish-style meal waiting at Legs Inn.

Leelanau SP is nice for its out-of-the-way quietness. There's a lighthouse on the grounds. A couple miles south, there's a nice trail on SP land leading to a sandy Lake Michigan beach.

My favorite swimming hole is at Bar Lake, about 3 miles N of Empire. Bar Lake is really more of a pond separated from Lk MI by a sand bar, but the water will be nice and warm this time of year. Or walk about a hundred yards west to the big lake.

If I have time to ride the ferry to Mackinac Island, I will take my bike and ride it all the way around the island. It's more fun (and healthier) than the fudge. I worked on the island one summer as "the village blacksmith"... my job was to hammer names into horseshoes for souvenirs, and to mind the store. Ahhh, the memories.

In Mackinaw City, be sure to stop by the town bakery (a half-block north of the ferry parking) at get some of their pecan rolls and cinnamon bread. Fabulous stuff.

In da UP, I have fond memories of camping at Woodland Park CG in Grand Marais. I hear that the little shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point is worth seeing now (when I was there in the '80s it just wasn't much yet). Oh, and whenever I'm in the eastern UP I make a point of stopping at Michigan Maple Syrup | Maple Syrup For Sale From Michigan Maple Farms located, from Rudyard, about 4 miles N and a mile W, to stock up on their maple blueberry syrup. They have plain maple syrup and some other flavors, too, as well as maple candy, maple spread, and so on. Another good place for maple syrup is Harwood Gold near Petoskey, but they don't make the blueberry infused maple I like.

In western UP, if you happen to find yourselves in Stephenson (US-41 not far from the WI border), be sure to drive west into the downtown and do some tasting at the Threefold Vines Winery store. Just down and across the street they have a little brewery place, too. You're in luck if they have the smoky beer on tap. One of my grand-nieces married the son of the couple that run these places.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:46 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hint!!!

Hi: UncleTim... I just sit in front of a small fan with a glass of Bourbon and frozen branch. Aah!!! It's happy hour somewhere. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
what about using gallons or half gallons of water, frozen?
Hey I did not see this.

Frozen water is the best. Block ice, more times than not, is crushed ice put into block form. It still has holes all over it and that is bad for cooling.

Solid ice suffers none of that and is the preferred way to go. For my 165 quart Yeti cooler for my whitewater boat, I keep six 'Lock and Lock' containers in the bottom with frozen water. No mess and you can drink it when done. Everything stays nice and cool and nothing floats.

I didn't use that because I cannot find that when on the road, or I would!
Old 07-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: UncleTim... I just sit in front of a small fan with a glass of Bourbon and frozen branch. Aah!!! It's happy hour somewhere. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
What kind of bourbon?

For those that have net seen this post, here is a link to some UP pics.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post356353
Old 07-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 15A
Thanks for the review, I have been looking at the IcyBreeze.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
What kind of bourbon?

For those that have net seen this post, here is a link to some UP pics.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post356353
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that! Last October seems like forever ago.