Fire Extinguisher - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2024, 04:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 21
Fire Extinguisher

Just a reminder with camping season starting to get in full swing, please check your fire extinguisher and make sure it is up to date and not expired. We carry a total of 3. 2 small ones in the camper and one 10 lb in the truck. Never know when you or a fellow camper might need help .
Old 04-23-2024, 09:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2023 E19
In the same vein:

If you don't carry a first aid kit, now is the time to pick one up. If you already carry one, be sure to inspect it to ensure that it is accessible and complete before heading out.

Spring is a good time inspect both the smoke and propane detectors, ensure that neither are outdated, and replace the battery in the former.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Just a reminder with camping season starting to get in full swing, please check your fire extinguisher and make sure it is up to date and not expired. We carry a total of 3. 2 small ones in the camper and one 10 lb in the truck. Never know when you or a fellow camper might need help .
Last year I went to the Fire & Safety store to update my fire extinguisher. The guy recommended a larger model than the ETI-supplied little white one. He wanted me to take a 5 pounder but I went with a 2.5 pound ABC model to mount beside the door. We always carry a 5lb one behind the seat of the truck, too.

In my working days, the Health & Safety Dept. expected us to agitate an extinguisher monthly to keep the contents from settling and clogging during use. I'm not that diligent in real life but turn them upside-down a few times when I notice them.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post

In my working days, the Health & Safety Dept. expected us to agitate an extinguisher monthly to keep the contents from settling and clogging during use. I'm not that diligent in real life but turn them upside-down a few times when I notice them.
Our yacht club requires yearly safety inspections including fire extinguishers. The guy turns it upside down, gives it a couple of wacks with a rubber hammer and puts a new sticker on it. But not for free.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Our yacht club requires yearly safety inspections including fire extinguishers. The guy turns it upside down, gives it a couple of wacks with a rubber hammer and puts a new sticker on it. But not for free.

Ron
Yup it's the sticker that make it safe dontcha know!

I was a facilities manager and I had to hire four separate fire inspection companies to service and test the emergency lights and exit signs, the fire alarm system, fire sprinkler system, and the fire extinguishers.

One year right after having the lighting tested I went around and pressed all the buttons and there were half a dozen emergency light fixtures with new stickers that didn't work at all. I talked to the fire marshal about it but the guy who owned the company was a volunteer fireman and so he didn't want to do anything about it even though it was a public library. (I expect he did have a talk with him)

The fire marshal did allow me to test and repair/replace the emergency lighting and exit signs after that. I printed up my own inspection stickers, and I would send him a report every year.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I also arranged all the safety trainings for the staff and one year for the fire extinguisher training I brought in a really old fire extinguisher that had ben left to sit for at least ten years and it worked perfectly. I'm not recommending doing this but if you do have an old extinguisher that hasn't ever been turned over and wacked don't throw it out, replace it and then keep it as a back up.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote