Quick generator question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2024, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quick generator question

Iím considering buying a generator to extend camping season and to recharge AGM batteries after extended time in the shade/rain. I have VERY limited electrical knowledge.

My question what else do I need Ö I remember that I need an adapter because of electrical grounding issues.

We run an electric fridge and solar. All I want to do is recharge batteries
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:45 AM   #2

Is something like this all I need ?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6735.jpg  
Old 05-02-2024, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: n/a
Are you thinking of a neutral ground bonding plug? This would likely be required to allow the generator power to pass through the EMS.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...plug-rvt-1076/
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 02:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If all you wish to do is charge thew batteries, even a 1K generator will work, but it won't run microwaves, most toasters, coffee pots, etc. I used a 900/700 watt propane only generator to recharge batteries when I had lead acid batteries, but when I switched to lithium, they draw more through the converter than the generator can produce.

Most electric (compressor) refrigerators only draw a couple of amps off & on, but over time can require more capacity than the standard 6V lead acid system can provide. Depending on the amount of solar & the weather, you may need a larger generator.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Are you thinking of a neutral ground bonding plug? This would likely be required to allow the generator power to pass through the EMS.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...plug-rvt-1076/
You can make one like in the video, or you can buy one premade for under $10.

Neutral Ground Bonding Plug for Portable Inverter Generator-Camper for Open Ground Error, Grounding Plug Surge Protector Generator with Floating Neutral on RV Plug, Generator Grounding Kit
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:25 PM   #6

thanks for these replies - I appreciate them. I have another "electrical newbie" question

neutral ground bonding plug - something like this plug ... wouldn't i need to do more than plug it into the generator .... like add a grounding wire?
Attached Thumbnails
EEE2AB4A-2397-4839-8549-73FA345F3A25.jpg  
Old 05-03-2024, 02:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Nope, it just plugs into one of the 2 outlets on the generator..
The other outlet gets the 20 to 30 Amp adapter that hooks up to your heavy cord coming from the trailer. And you should be good to go. I just leave my neutral plug in all the time. I have two adapters, 20 to 30 amp and 50 to 30 amp
Because sometimes 20 amp service is all that is provided by the campground and other times the 30 amp beaker or the 30 amp outlet is faulty from age and abuse. Just like me.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-03-2024, 02:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
thanks for these replies - I appreciate them. I have another "electrical newbie" question

neutral ground bonding plug - something like this plug ... wouldn't i need to do more than plug it into the generator .... like add a grounding wire?
Yes, you need to connect a wire between the ground (green terminal screw) and the neutral (silver terminal screw) inside the plug. Unless you are buying one premade, then they should already be connected.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There are some Generators that come with a lug o the corner of
The generator which to which you can attach a heavy copper wire or copper strap to copper rod that is driven into the earth. I haven’t seen that set up for a number of years. It does not exist on my Honda 2200i however I do have a 20 year old open frame construction generator that is equipped with a lug. We used to ground generators used at special events where the public was present. Never know what kids or drunks will do.

Here’s one made by Southwire small reasonably priced, and easy. Note the part number for other sources should you prefer.
https://inverterservicecenter.com/ne...uthwire-44400/

Iowa Dave
Old 05-03-2024, 07:22 PM   #10

thanks I really appreciate all these responses.

1. I spent a few hours of my precious retirement this afternoon trying to cobble together a plug like the one in my post #6 above - my hope was to attach a copper wire to the Honda generator's grounding screw - hoping this would take the error codes. But that plug and my trailer electric cord cable can't fit on the Honda Generator at the same time.

2. so now I'm on a hunt for the Southwire 44400 (post #9 thanks Iowa Dave) nearby me in Canada or I'll get it shipped via Amazon.

again, thanks for all this help ... I didn't know the name of what I'm looking for ...
Larry
Old 05-03-2024, 09:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My Honda 2000 doesn’t have a lug, but it does have a screw that I keep a green #12 ga wire attached to for connecting to a rod at events.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
thanks I really appreciate all these responses.

1. I spent a few hours of my precious retirement this afternoon trying to cobble together a plug like the one in my post #6 above - my hope was to attach a copper wire to the Honda generator's grounding screw - hoping this would take the error codes. But that plug and my trailer electric cord cable can't fit on the Honda Generator at the same time.

2. so now I'm on a hunt for the Southwire 44400 (post #9 thanks Iowa Dave) nearby me in Canada or I'll get it shipped via Amazon.

again, thanks for all this help ... I didn't know the name of what I'm looking for ...
Larry

If you have a "floating neutral" generator, (and most small ones are) the Progressive EMS will not allow power to the trailer as it sees this condition as a neutral/ground related fault (it's not for this gen situation) , unless you put the EMS in bypass mode.

So, if you want to utilize the EMS while on gen power, you need to "bond" the neutral to the ground in the gen, as described above with a bonding plug. You are not "grounding" the generator, you are bonding the neutral. It needs to be bonded, not "grounded".

A generator used with "extension" cords to power a travel trailer does not need a ground rod tied to the gen frame.

This, though simplistic, may help:

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...grounding-rod/

From what you have posted, I'd suggest you buy a neutral bonding plug (1) if your trailer has an EMS and (2) the generator you end up with has a floating neutral.(likely)
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:44 PM   #13

This morning Based on info from our Forum I purchased a “generator neutral-ground bonding plug” (Southwire 44400) at a RV Dealership nearby.

I don’t understand how the electrical works. It’s hard to even figure out the basic issues when I didn’t know the basic terms (that seems to be true in any field or area of study). With forum members help I learned just enough of the basics and the correct terms to move forward.

Now I just have to wait for rain and clouds to watch the generator do it’s work recharging batteries. I’m tempted to run the fridge furnace and lights when it’s dark. But I live in a neighbourhood.

Thanks to the knowledgeable people on our forum willingly and patiently sharing info.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
This forum is full of information. Itís one reason I chose an Escape over another Bigfoot. You have now learned one more valuable piece of information. Many of us have learned to RV over 50 years of life taught lessons. You will continue to learn as we all will. We all learn from each other. Now you can go make more memories.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Now I just have to wait for rain and clouds to watch the generator do itís work recharging batteries.................
Which gen did you end up with? I saw you stated Honda..............
Old 05-04-2024, 05:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Which gen did you end up with? I saw you stated Honda..............
We bought a Honda EU1000i

Here is the rational:

our 17B is our 1st Trailer ordered and picked up 10 yrs ago 2014

Our present set-up. Now run with a NovaKool electric fridge(changed out that much discussed Donetic). We are not heavy electric users mostly Pr Parks in ten years have used full hookup camp grounds about a dozen times, used AC 2 or 3 times. No tv/micro wave.

Powered by 160 rooftop solar factory installed, 130w portable solar with 2 6v AGM Batteries. Last year we were out 40 nights. We have to watch battery levels (I move the portable solar panel around when camping at Cultus in the shade for a week or when spending a few nights in heavy rain during shoulder seasons (when I camp on my own).

I don’t run the AGMs down. However, even though I basically hate generators while camping, now at 70 years old I’m wanting things to be easier/simpler while still trying to be a bit of a minimalist. The Eu1000i fits under my truck’s backflip and isn’t too heavy.

Those are some of my thought processes in going into the world of generators. (I’ve always been interested in what our forum members systems are and what their camping styles/goals are. So I provided all this information for anyone else wired similarly to me.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:09 AM   #17

SOME more GENERATOR ADICE please

I hope I’m not trying everyone’s patience. My generator questions continue.

I bought:
a brand new Honda EU1000i
Neutral Bonding Plug
Adapter energizer (15 amp male / 30 amp female)

ISSUE: the trailer EMS does not accept generator current. I’ve tried it with the EMS both on/off. I let the generator warm up and then connect to the trailer (2014 17B with ETI build EMS and electrical system. We are the original owners).

HOWEVER: when using the adapter the trailer accepts shore power. Electric fridge and coffee grinder work.

I’m stumped. Do I need a different adapter for the generator even though the adapter works for the house power? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help Larry
Old 06-21-2024, 11:55 AM   #18

Are you sure the gen is producing power?

Plug something (small load) directly into the gen if you don't have a meter to test with.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:20 PM   #19

Thanks for asking me to check the generator !

It won’t start. It has gas, Perhaps it blew a fuse or something. I’ll take it to the shop where I bought it and have it checked.
Old 06-22-2024, 05:07 PM   #20

Honda EU1000i Generator started and yes it produces electrical power (runs my coffee grinder from the generator alone).

HOWEVER when I plug EU1000i into the trailer, the EMS seems to accept power for a second, then the generator revs and the EMS shuts off.

*** The EU1000i continues to run but with the OVERLOAD button on ***

The trailer EMS doesn't accept the above generator's electrical charge in EMS on or bypass.

We have a 3500 Champion inverter generator (for at home power outages). The EMS accepts the Champion's power (with the neutral bonded plug) trailer lights, fridge coffee grinder work. So i'm assuming my onboard electrical system is working.

? why is my little Honda EU1000i going into overload when the EMS accepts its' electrical charge I can see that other Escape owners have used this size of generator on our trailers. Am I doing something wrong?? Any help and advice would be appreciated.