Cross Country (US) Trip and Inquiring about Maintenance prior to Departure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2024, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Cross Country (US) Trip and Inquiring about Maintenance prior to Departure

I'll be driving about 2500 miles--from west to east--over 2 weeks. My trailer is a 2020 21NE which has taken maybe 3-4 short trips a year; no longer than 4 days or 300 miles each way.

I haven't done anything to the trailer except wash and wax it and tighten the lug nuts prior to each trip.

Im just wondering if there's anything I should do/check/replace--that isn't out of the ordinary--before departing in a month.

Disclaimer: I am probably the least handy person to post on this board so most likely anything that needs to be done will have to be handled by an RV guy.

Thanks
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by L in NV View Post
Im just wondering if there's anything I should do/check/replace--that isn't out of the ordinary--before departing in a month.
Hi, L in NV. Glad to hear about your travel plans, and you’re smart to think about having your Escape in tip-top shape for the long trip.

One thing I would advise you to consider having done before you leave is the regular scheduled maintenance for lubricating the trailer wheel bearings. Dexter recommends this be done every 12 months/12,000 miles. We had ours done by an RV technician earlier this year, and a couple surprising issues were discovered and addressed before they might have become a MAJOR problem for us out on the road. The technician also inspected the brakes (finding them in good condition), which is a good idea too.

We are so glad we took care of this before camping season started - especially because we also have a long trip planned for later this year out to the “Mighty Five” National Parks in southern Utah.

Safe journeys, and happy camping!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Not to be contrary but this is a very low mileage trailer. I'd call it barely broken in.

While I'm all for doing safety related items after decades of owning a variety of trailers I don't subscribe to the frequent wheel bearing service theory.

Aside from checking tire pressures and making sure all the tail lights are working I'd just head off down the road. Come to think of it that's exactly what I'm doing tomorrow.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Aside from checking tire pressures and making sure all the tail lights are working I'd just head off down the road. Come to think of it that's exactly what I'm doing tomorrow.

Ron
You obviously have far more experience and expertise in trailering than I do, Ron, but on this our first bearing service after just under two years of ownership and about 10,000 miles we were very grateful to have it done before we towed much longer.

One wheel, in particular, had grease the tech said was obviously not of the proper grade. It looked and smelled burnt. Yikes! There were bearing grease issues with all four wheels. That’s why I cautioned having them done sooner rather than later the first time to catch obvious foul ups like this - especially with a long haul planned.

I respect your opinion, though, so - as always - YMMV.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Not to be contrary but this is a very low mileage trailer. I'd call it barely broken in.

While I'm all for doing safety related items after decades of owning a variety of trailers I don't subscribe to the frequent wheel bearing service theory.

Ron
I'm a path of least resistance guy so this is the kind of answer I was hoping for.

This trailer def does not have 10k miles on it.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a path of least resistance guy so this is the kind of answer I was hoping for.

I’m not being argumentative here, this is a question for my understanding. When a maintenance schedule calls for service to be done every 12 months/12,000 miles does the mileage supersede the calendar length? If the trailer hasn’t reached 12,000 miles does the 12 months (or much longer) matter?

I had this question before we decided on getting the bearing service done, so I’d like to know for the next interval. Of course, it turned out with the serious issue our trailer had with inappropriate bearing grease on one of the wheels and other strange issues from day one we’re very glad we did it now.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I'll be driving about 2500 miles--from west to east--over 2 weeks. My trailer is a 2020 21NE which has taken maybe 3-4 short trips a year; no longer than 4 days or 300 miles each way.

I haven't done anything to the trailer except wash and wax it and tighten the lug nuts prior to each trip.

Disclaimer: I am probably the least handy person to post on this board so most likely anything that needs to be done will have to be handled by an RV guy.

Thanks
Yearly, typically before long trips I repack the wheel bearings using the EZ-Lube fitting. I also adjust my brakes as my 2020 Escape 19 does not have self-adjusting brakes. Later Escapes have self-adjusting brakes I don't know when the specific transition point was. Other I would also have your guy check for any loose bolts, screws or other items.

Our Escape 19 probably has 25K miles on it. WA to OH, OH to FL, FL to OH, OH to MT, MT to OH, OH to FL, FL to TX, TX to FL, FL to OH, OH to WA, WA to OH, OH to UT, UT to OH that I can think of off the top of my head. That doesn't include multiple shorter trips from OH to NY, ID and MI. We'll be heading out OH to AK through Canada and back for a 4 month trip this year.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I would also check the manufacture date on your tires. Older than 5 years might be dicey, even if they look fine. You can't assume they were recently manufactured before being installed. That means all five tires. You live in a hot sunny place. Have the tires been constantly exposed to sun?

If you don't have one, a tire inflator may also be insurance. Make sure you have a lug wrench that fits your trailer tires--your tv may have different sized lug nuts.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Usually the path of least resistance includes proper maintenance.

I would definitely at least have the wheel bearings repacked and the brakes adjusted.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

I would definitely at least have the wheel bearings repacked and the brakes adjusted.
Same here.
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I would also check the manufacture date on your tires. Older than 5 years might be dicey, even if they look fine. You can't assume they were recently manufactured before being installed. That means all five tires. You live in a hot sunny place. Have the tires been constantly exposed to sun?

If you don't have one, a tire inflator may also be insurance. Make sure you have a lug wrench that fits your trailer tires--your tv may have different sized lug nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

Thanks.

I need to check the tires (trailer's in storage). Storage is covered but outside. One side of the trailer is partially exposed to the brutal sun here but other is totally shaded because I occupy the last slot in the lot.

I have the lug wrench with fittings for both rv and tv and I've got an air compressor.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Same here.
I guess I'll go ahead and get this done. I have a list of things to do before this trip/move that grows by the day but Im going to feel really crummy if bad planning on my part......
Old 05-03-2024, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post

oct 2019 so I think I'm ok. I'll replace them after this season.