New Member, 2019 Escape 19' - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
Yes, I think some of the videos I've watched have mentioned they have a small step stool, or platform they use. I'm not sure what the dimensions are in the stall yet either. There is usually a ledge that the toilet is installed on. Once I have it installed, I plan to measure and either build or buy an appropriate height step or platform for the bottom of the shower.
Bernese, check out videos on porta potties. I haven't seen very many with widespread approval as there are usually a couple of reviewers that have negative comments. I did look at the one with bags, and even ran into a van this spring that uses that system. But the drawback is long term cost with bags and possible leakage. I know how things can bounce around in a trailer so a porta potty wasn't a good choice for me.
__________________

lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Milton, Delaware
Trailer: None yet
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
Yes, I think some of the videos I've watched have mentioned they have a small step stool, or platform they use. I'm not sure what the dimensions are in the stall yet either. There is usually a ledge that the toilet is installed on. Once I have it installed, I plan to measure and either build or buy an appropriate height step or platform for the bottom of the shower.
My first thought is the cassette toilet and the ease of removal from the outside. Can that be installed in the Escape?
__________________

Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
My first thought is the cassette toilet and the ease of removal from the outside. Can that be installed in the Escape?
That wouldn't work for boondocking as it would need emptying at least once or twice a week at a dump station. To me, it looks potentially messy. A compost can last weeks before you empty and it goes into common garbage. You would need to know the dimensions for the cartridge to see if it would fit under the shell for the bathroom. That space has the black water tank, so eliminating it would open up that space. But I don't know the dimensions that would be required. I doubt Escape would install that for you.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Milton, Delaware
Trailer: None yet
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
That wouldn't work for boondocking as it would need emptying at least once or twice a week at a dump station. To me, it looks potentially messy. A compost can last weeks before you empty and it goes into common garbage. You would need to know the dimensions for the cartridge to see if it would fit under the shell for the bathroom. That space has the black water tank, so eliminating it would open up that space. But I don't know the dimensions that would be required. I doubt Escape would install that for you.
I've used cassette while camping in Europe. Easy and clean. Never had any problems. They have the access door in the side of the trailer so it does not interfere with anything under the trailer. If you can love a toilet, this is the one!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #25
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 17,575
Yes to cassettes, we had one in our T@da, easy to unload and easy to use in the winter with economical windshield antifreeze. Ours had it's own water supply tank, isolated from the rest of the trailer.
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong.....
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Milton, Delaware
Trailer: None yet
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes to cassettes, we had one in our T@da, easy to unload and easy to use in the winter with economical windshield antifreeze. Ours had it's own water supply tank, isolated from the rest of the trailer.
Agree...best thing. I'll see how much of the work ETI can do to accommodate this. However, who would do the installation? It will mean breaking through the fiberglass shell to install the door. Naturally, I'd prefer ETI to cut the hole. Don't want some knucklehead breaking something!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 12,730
I don't get it. The black tank in a 17B holds 19 gals. A cassette holds five gallons?

When boondocking, where are you going to empty the cassette, every few days? Five gallons of effluent weighs more than 40 lbs.

The black tank in my 17B is already on wheels and needs emptying after about a week. My wife stays at camp with a camp chair and a good book while I take the trailer ( and black tank ) into town. Empty black and grey, fill fresh water and buy beer. Nothing easier.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #28
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 17,575
Diane, I doubt Escape will do any changes now, particularly with the bathroom set up. It works for them and 99% of their customers.
Glenn, you are absolutely correct, toting a 40 lb item 15 years ago is/was easier than it is now. I'll stick with the conventional set up.
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong.....
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't get it. The black tank in a 17B holds 19 gals. A cassette holds five gallons?

When boondocking, where are you going to empty the cassette, every few days?
If there are no services at the site at all, this is certainly an issue, although if towing with a pickup truck one can get and carry an extra cassette.

I think the idea is that if you are in a campground with a dump site, but don't have a sewer connection at your site, you can take the cassette to the dump site as often as required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
My first thought is the cassette toilet and the ease of removal from the outside. Can that be installed in the Escape?
Can? Yes. Easily? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
You would need to know the dimensions for the cartridge to see if it would fit under the shell for the bathroom. That space has the black water tank, so eliminating it would open up that space.
A cassette toilet is a one-piece thing, none of which would go under the bathroom interior shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
They have the access door in the side of the trailer so it does not interfere with anything under the trailer. If you can love a toilet, this is the one!
Right: "all" it needs is to be installed with the access side against an outside wall, and to have hatch cut in that wall... plus a water supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
I'll see how much of the work ETI can do to accommodate this. However, who would do the installation? It will mean breaking through the fiberglass shell to install the door.
With the vertical wall of the current generation of Escape bodies, the outside hatch isn't the issue. The problem would be that the toilet would either sit very high (on top of the black tank), or the black tank would be omitted (since it would have no purpose) and the moulded interior of the bathroom would need to be substantially modified to take out the step up over the black tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
I doubt Escape would install that for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Diane, I doubt Escape will do any changes now, particularly with the bathroom set up.
Because of the required modification of the bathroom interior, it would unlikely that Escape would have ever done this modification, and it seems extremely unlikely now. I think someone asked Escape about this a while ago, and confirmed that they would not do it, but I may be mistaken.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,147
ledge height

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
There is usually a ledge that the toilet is installed on.
The black tank sits on top of the trailer's floor. The bathroom/shower interior is moulded fit around and over it. The stock toilet mounts to the top of the tank, so the connection is through a hole in the bathroom/shower interior lining. So the ledge height is the height of the black tank.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.