New to Escape... new to RV'ing... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #31
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,682
I believe the switch under bed by the water heater is your 12v heat pads, at least that was where mine was located. The battery disconnect is for when you are in storage to stop any parasitic drain on the battery. The toilet uses water to flush and every now and then you put a couple of drops of the blue stuff in the toilet and let it sit there until next use. You always empty the black first and then the grey, that way the cleaner grey water flushes out your waste line. Only dump when full to utilize the benefit of the volume of water.
__________________

__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
dave macrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Posts: 844
My advice , for what its worth ( which isn't much ) would be to call Eti and go back out there for a bit of a orientation. There is alot to learn, especially when you are new to all of it. Looks like you live fairly close to the factory.
__________________

__________________
MacRae, 21ft
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
St.Albert Alberta
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delta, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
OK after months of silence, an update. Picked up the Trailer mid June and have only just got out to use it.. (New Job, much travelling for work 78k airmiles so far this year, new house... some small renos).

The trip went well, very well, with a few challenges... We went to Tyax in the Chilcotins and had a wonderful long weekend camping at the lakes Tyaughton and Marshal. FJ tows fine, (we added an Anderson hitch, not sure if it helps but towing sure is easy). Some of the roads there are pretty steep but no problems, just slow up and down. Lillooet to Pemberton is an awesomely pretty drive...

So a few queries: Mostly our ignorance, we've always dry camped with our Landrover and Tents. Its all new to us. PLEASE don't laugh at some of these questions!


1. The Toilet... We simply don't know what to do with it and haven't used it... Do we put the bottle of chemicals into the toilet before use? during use? After use?


2. Emptying the grey/black water tanks... Where do you do this? We haven't had anything added to the black one, but the grey one fills up awfully fast if you're linked to a water supply... Campsite we stayed at had no facilities for waste disposal...


3. Battery Disconnect Switch.. Front Left hand side of dinette... When do you turn it on or off?


4. Switch under the bed, near hot water tank. What is it for? Which position is on? Up/ down? When do we need to bother with it?


5. Smoke/CO detector. We don't seem to be able to do anything in the trailer without setting this think off.. Unless we have windows open,. doors open and the extraction fan on the da&^ Thing beeps incessantly... Is there a sensitivity setting? Or is that just the way we have to roll, keep all ventilation open??


6. Quick connect Gas line... OK so we bought a small two burner gas cooker for outside, but it uses those little camping cylinders... I can get a converter to use a 20lb bottle, but that doesn't look anything ike the thread on the flexible pipe... Also I guess the stove expects high pressure, when the quick connect is after the regulator so low pressure? How does one connect the cooker? Any clues?

Not managed to download any pictures, but will post some after our next trip, up to Calgary back working our way slowly through the rockies, heading out on Thursday..

Cheers

David
Dave:
1) We always put a cup or so of the toilet chemical down the toilet prior to using the toilet after emptying the tank. (however we only use the toilet for #1).
2)You empty your black and grey tanks at a Sani-Dump located in most campgrounds or down the sewer connection in your campsite if you are camping in a full service site. Black first, grey second as mentioned.
3)As mentioned turn it off when ever you are not using your trailer, if it is not hooked up to 110 power.
4)Don't have a 19 so I don't know what this is.
5)There is something wrong with your detector or heaven forbid something is leaking. Contact Escape Trailers for advice.
6)Don't know this one either.

Hope this helps.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
...
5. Smoke/CO detector. We don't seem to be able to do anything in the trailer without setting this think off.. Unless we have windows open,. doors open and the extraction fan on the da&^ Thing beeps incessantly... Is there a sensitivity setting? Or is that just the way we have to roll, keep all ventilation open??
...
David
We also (summer 2013) had a similar problem with our smoke detector going off frequently, often when the humidity in the trailer was a bit high. We tried changing batteries, but that did not work. Finally, Reace sent me a replacement smoke detector and I swapped it out with ours, and sent back the original. Since then, we have had no issues with the smoke detector. You may want to contact Reace and ask his opinion.

We also have more recently experienced problems with the CO/propane detector going off for no apparent reason, usually when trailer is not being used and is mostly closed up with propane off. I ended up replacing the detector this summer when we were on vacation (about $150).
__________________
2013-19' & 2013-15B {avg is two 17's}, towed by 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
By all means, view the video orientation here on the Escape Forum in the Documents section:
Escape Training/Orientation Video

It will answer several of your questions with visuals to boot! Should be helpful for you.
__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
santacruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
David

We also have more recently experienced problems with the CO/propane detector going off for no apparent reason, usually when trailer is not being used and is mostly closed up with propane off. I ended up replacing the detector this summer when we were on vacation (about $150).
co/propane detectors are supposed to have a life of around 10 years. If one fails early, it might pay to take it up with the manufacturer if the trailer is out of warranty.
__________________
2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, 2008 FJ Cruiser (it's like sitting in a prozac tablet)
Posts: 38
Thanks all. Much to follow up on...

David
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
OK after months of silence, an update. Picked up the Trailer mid June and have only just got out to use it.. (New Job, much travelling for work 78k airmiles so far this year, new house... some small renos).

The trip went well, very well, with a few challenges... We went to Tyax in the Chilcotins and had a wonderful long weekend camping at the lakes Tyaughton and Marshal. FJ tows fine, (we added an Anderson hitch, not sure if it helps but towing sure is easy). Some of the roads there are pretty steep but no problems, just slow up and down. Lillooet to Pemberton is an awesomely pretty drive...

So a few queries: Mostly our ignorance, we've always dry camped with our Landrover and Tents. Its all new to us. PLEASE don't laugh at some of these questions!


1. The Toilet... We simply don't know what to do with it and haven't used it... Do we put the bottle of chemicals into the toilet before use? during use? After use?


2. Emptying the grey/black water tanks... Where do you do this? We haven't had anything added to the black one, but the grey one fills up awfully fast if you're linked to a water supply... Campsite we stayed at had no facilities for waste disposal...


3. Battery Disconnect Switch.. Front Left hand side of dinette... When do you turn it on or off?


4. Switch under the bed, near hot water tank. What is it for? Which position is on? Up/ down? When do we need to bother with it?


5. Smoke/CO detector. We don't seem to be able to do anything in the trailer without setting this think off.. Unless we have windows open,. doors open and the extraction fan on the da&^ Thing beeps incessantly... Is there a sensitivity setting? Or is that just the way we have to roll, keep all ventilation open??


6. Quick connect Gas line... OK so we bought a small two burner gas cooker for outside, but it uses those little camping cylinders... I can get a converter to use a 20lb bottle, but that doesn't look anything ike the thread on the flexible pipe... Also I guess the stove expects high pressure, when the quick connect is after the regulator so low pressure? How does one connect the cooker? Any clues?

Not managed to download any pictures, but will post some after our next trip, up to Calgary back working our way slowly through the rockies, heading out on Thursday..

Cheers

David

HI, David,

Someone at your campground should be able to tell you where the nearest dump station is located. Toilet chemicals are often sold in packets. After each time dumping tanks and closing black valve, a packet can be thrown down the toilet with four liters of water. Then when traveling, it is sloshing around the tank.


Battery disconnect switch should be turned off when in storage or maybe while having work done. Ours goes down for "off." Keeps the detectors or anything from draining the battery. See if up or down for the switch turns your propane detector off.

You'll get it all soon enough.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N/A, Indiana
Trailer: Escape
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
OK after months of silence, an update. Picked up the Trailer mid June and have only just got out to use it.. (New Job, much travelling for work 78k airmiles so far this year, new house... some small renos).

The trip went well, very well, with a few challenges... We went to Tyax in the Chilcotins and had a wonderful long weekend camping at the lakes Tyaughton and Marshal. FJ tows fine, (we added an Anderson hitch, not sure if it helps but towing sure is easy). Some of the roads there are pretty steep but no problems, just slow up and down. Lillooet to Pemberton is an awesomely pretty drive...

So a few queries: Mostly our ignorance, we've always dry camped with our Landrover and Tents. Its all new to us. PLEASE don't laugh at some of these questions!


1. The Toilet... We simply don't know what to do with it and haven't used it... Do we put the bottle of chemicals into the toilet before use? during use? After use?


2. Emptying the grey/black water tanks... Where do you do this? We haven't had anything added to the black one, but the grey one fills up awfully fast if you're linked to a water supply... Campsite we stayed at had no facilities for waste disposal...


3. Battery Disconnect Switch.. Front Left hand side of dinette... When do you turn it on or off?


4. Switch under the bed, near hot water tank. What is it for? Which position is on? Up/ down? When do we need to bother with it?


5. Smoke/CO detector. We don't seem to be able to do anything in the trailer without setting this think off.. Unless we have windows open,. doors open and the extraction fan on the da&^ Thing beeps incessantly... Is there a sensitivity setting? Or is that just the way we have to roll, keep all ventilation open??


6. Quick connect Gas line... OK so we bought a small two burner gas cooker for outside, but it uses those little camping cylinders... I can get a converter to use a 20lb bottle, but that doesn't look anything ike the thread on the flexible pipe... Also I guess the stove expects high pressure, when the quick connect is after the regulator so low pressure? How does one connect the cooker? Any clues?

Not managed to download any pictures, but will post some after our next trip, up to Calgary back working our way slowly through the rockies, heading out on Thursday..

Cheers

David
#4
Electrical switch under the bed by the water heater is for the fresh water and grey water tank heaters. The switch toggled down is in the off position. The switch should be marked indicating on and off.
__________________
"Never argue with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #40
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
#6 - The quick disconnect is AFTER the tank regulator, so it's low pressure. Anything you buy with a regulator on it will need the regulator removed. Check with a propane supplier for a source that can make you a hose of whatever length you need with the correct fittings on the ends for the quick disconnect on the trailer and whatever device you want to attach. I had to change out the ETI trailer quick disconnect because I could not find a mating piece locally. I had a 25 ft hose built with the fittings I needed on both ends for $40 USD.
__________________

__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.