Pulled The Trigger - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ridgeway, South Carolina
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Posts: 25
Pulled The Trigger

I have been a member of this forum for a short time now and have gained valuable information by reading numerous posts. My wife and I pulled the trigger on an E21 and must have our Build Sheet completed by September 13th. I have a question for all E21 owners. Looking back now what you have or have not done in selecting options/additions for your E21. Your input would be greatly appreciated. We pour over the Build Sheet on a daily basis and want to be sure we don't miss anything.
__________________

Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,758
Here's a thread for you, might skip to near the end to get the more recent entries.

If you could do it again, what would be different?
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,385
Here is my take, after owning 2 new Escape 21's, a 2014 and now a 2019. The stock Maple interior is a lot nicer than the stock oak interior, for several reasons. The floor is darker in the maple and hides dirt easier. The counter tops are darker and contrasts better with the standard stainless sink and stoves. The new faucet in the new style is really nice. The non wood oh cabinet inserts gives a nice contrast. So definitely maple standard interior. Love the extra window over the drawer stack and frameless awning windows and power awning. Front box is a necessity as is the EMS and solar an the extra insulation package. No antenna needed as most cg have cable, so cable ready is all you need. The extra bath window lets in needed light in the bath as well as needed ventilation. That's my story, oh and the chrome wheel package to add some sparkle.....
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ridgeway, South Carolina
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Posts: 25
Thanks Bob......that was helpful.
Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is my take, after owning 2 new Escape 21's, a 2014 and now a 2019. The stock Maple interior is a lot nicer than the stock oak interior, for several reasons. The floor is darker in the maple and hides dirt easier. The counter tops are darker and contrasts better with the standard stainless sink and stoves. The new faucet in the new style is really nice. The non wood oh cabinet inserts gives a nice contrast. So definitely maple standard interior. Love the extra window over the drawer stack and frameless awning windows and power awning. Front box is a necessity as is the EMS and solar an the extra insulation package. No antenna needed as most cg have cable, so cable ready is all you need. The extra bath window lets in needed light in the bath as well as needed ventilation. That's my story, oh and the chrome wheel package to add some sparkle.....
Hi: cpaharley2008... That's your story and you're stickin' to it, but someday you'll see the error of your ways. Alf

escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ridgeway, South Carolina
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is my take, after owning 2 new Escape 21's, a 2014 and now a 2019. The stock Maple interior is a lot nicer than the stock oak interior, for several reasons. The floor is darker in the maple and hides dirt easier. The counter tops are darker and contrasts better with the standard stainless sink and stoves. The new faucet in the new style is really nice. The non wood oh cabinet inserts gives a nice contrast. So definitely maple standard interior. Love the extra window over the drawer stack and frameless awning windows and power awning. Front box is a necessity as is the EMS and solar an the extra insulation package. No antenna needed as most cg have cable, so cable ready is all you need. The extra bath window lets in needed light in the bath as well as needed ventilation. That's my story, oh and the chrome wheel package to add some sparkle.....
Thanks for your input Jim. We are still on the fence with the thermal windows given recent problems some are experiencing. We did not include the bathroom window, but will probably do so for the extra light.
We opted for the Oak interior as we like the darker wood and although some have stated the Maple trim will darken to match the paneling, Im still not sure it will to the point that we would like.

Not a big fan of acrylic inserts either. Over time they will get scratched and could possibly crack. Could be a problem to replace them seeing how cabinet doors are constructed.

Have already purchased a set of custom rims to swap out when we get home with trailer. We elected to purchase our own vinyl flooring, Formica and fabric to make trailer our own. Went with a darker Formica to complement the sink and stove top. Flooring is a 6 wood plank pattern with muted browns and grays and fabric for cushions is charcoal with a lighter gray squiggly pattern. Were hoping it all comes together to our liking as putting together small samples can be misleading until you see the big picture.

Went with the front box for sure. I can see it being VERY useful.
Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,808
Wow, that was easy. Here I was going to contradict just about everything Jim said and you've expressed preferences different than his.

I love maple, I did our whole office in custom maple furniture, desks and cabinets but for the interior of the Escape, I'll just give a polite no for a number of reasons.

Aside from the double glazed windows, sliders again for us and a tongue box but everything else is pretty much personal preference.

Yah, it's hard doing the build sheet when everyone under the sun chimes in with their "must haves". After you've had one it gets easier. Our build sheet for the 21 took about 10 minutes.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ridgeway, South Carolina
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wow, that was easy. Here I was going to contradict just about everything Jim said and you've expressed preferences different than his.

I love maple, I did our whole office in custom maple furniture, desks and cabinets but for the interior of the Escape, I'll just give a polite no for a number of reasons.

Aside from the double glazed windows, sliders again for us and a tongue box but everything else is pretty much personal preference.

Yah, it's hard doing the build sheet when everyone under the sun chimes in with their "must haves". After you've had one it gets easier. Our build sheet for the 21 took about 10 minutes.

Ron
Thanks Ron,
Know what you mean about the sliders. Thats what we went with.
Ive been in the commercial glass business for 48 years and can tell you the thermal windows will be a problem now and down the road as well. Given the make-up of the windows and the constant vibration going down the road along with the wind they will fail for sure. Im at a point in my life where I would much rather enjoy my trailer than to correct items that can be preventable. Thanks for your input!
Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kent, Ohio
Trailer: 2017 21
Posts: 106
Two things I wish I’d got, the inverter and the ems protection. Using a inexpensive external till I have time for that install. I wonder if anyone knows if the single outlet inverter option uses the same 1500 inverter or a smaller one ?

The electronics are a pain to retrofit, though I will.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,808
The single outlet inverter retro-fit is quite easy to do. Even adding in the microwave outlet is quite doable. A simple double pole, double throw switch works quite well as a transfer switch.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #11
Bea
Senior Member
 
Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Northern California, California
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 159
Welcome!

Welcome Olddog, Glad you pulled the trigger! We poured over our build sheet daily before our confirmation date, too. So exciting! For us, our items that come to mind are:

-Front storage box (priceless...glad you are going with this)
-All 3 extra windows. (Love all the light and we frequently crack the bath and short stack window for ventilation at night)
-Awning windows (can use in rain) and thermal windows (decreases condensation)
-Reinforced bathroom wall (We installed a shelf, etc just the way we like on that wall)
-High axle lift (Peace of mind and helps protect the foam insulation underneath)
-Extra insulation (not only for temp control, but noise...very quiet inside)
-Outside access under dinette on both sides (Use both a lot)
-2 inside access doors under bed (very helpful)
-Propane quick connect (for BBQ/fire pit and propane generator)
-lots of USB and 12/V sockets (so handy to charge things)
-Electric awning (so far so good!)
....IMHO, we recommend getting all the custom/addition items you can afford!

As far as regrets, the only thing we wonder about not getting is the inverter. We never had one before and didn't realize the one ETI installs, powers not only smaller electronic things but... their microwave, as well (not the AC, but we knew that). Had we known it powered the microwave, we might have considered it for quick hot meals at rest stops and such. But for now, we are using a small portable inverter, mostly for laptops and leave the microwave at home when we go to places without hookups. (Wow, lots of extra storage in that cabinet without the microwave!)

One more thing... Our Sales Rep verbally told us (while we were visiting ETI before our confirmation date) that we would be getting the new style faucet. At that time, the maple interior had just come out and our Rep, for some reason thought we would be getting the new style faucet, even though we ordered the oak interior. Needless to say, we ended up with the old style faucet, understandably because there was nothing in writing about the new style faucet anywhere on our build sheet. However, we are perfectly fine with the old style faucet; works just fine. Our Sales Rep was super in every other way and this just wasn't that big a deal to us. We can always change the faucet later, if we decide to....

Bottom line, if you really want something, and ETI verbally agrees to it, be sure it's written down on your build sheet because, after your confirmation date, when your trailer goes into production they follow your build sheet with impressive accuracy!

Again, welcome to Escape World! Here's to many happy days in your future E21! - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ridgeway, South Carolina
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Posts: 25
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Welcome Olddog, Glad you pulled the trigger! We poured over our build sheet daily before our confirmation date, too. So exciting! For us, our items that come to mind are:

-Front storage box (priceless...glad you are going with this)
-All 3 extra windows. (Love all the light and we frequently crack the bath and short stack window for ventilation at night)
-Awning windows (can use in rain) and thermal windows (decreases condensation)
-Reinforced bathroom wall (We installed a shelf, etc just the way we like on that wall)
-High axle lift (Peace of mind and helps protect the foam insulation underneath)
-Extra insulation (not only for temp control, but noise...very quiet inside)
-Outside access under dinette on both sides (Use both a lot)
-2 inside access doors under bed (very helpful)
-Propane quick connect (for BBQ/fire pit and propane generator)
-lots of USB and 12/V sockets (so handy to charge things)
-Electric awning (so far so good!)
....IMHO, we recommend getting all the custom/addition items you can afford!

As far as regrets, the only thing we wonder about not getting is the inverter. We never had one before and didn't realize the one ETI installs, powers not only smaller electronic things but... their microwave, as well (not the AC, but we knew that). Had we known it powered the microwave, we might have considered it for quick hot meals at rest stops and such. But for now, we are using a small portable inverter, mostly for laptops and leave the microwave at home when we go to places without hookups. (Wow, lots of extra storage in that cabinet without the microwave!)

One more thing... Our Sales Rep verbally told us (while we were visiting ETI before our confirmation date) that we would be getting the new style faucet. At that time, the maple interior had just come out and our Rep, for some reason thought we would be getting the new style faucet, even though we ordered the oak interior. Needless to say, we ended up with the old style faucet, understandably because there was nothing in writing about the new style faucet anywhere on our build sheet. However, we are perfectly fine with the old style faucet; works just fine. Our Sales Rep was super in every other way and this just wasn't that big a deal to us. We can always change the faucet later, if we decide to....

Bottom line, if you really want something, and ETI verbally agrees to it, be sure it's written down on your build sheet because, after your confirmation date, when your trailer goes into production they follow your build sheet with impressive accuracy!

Again, welcome to Escape World! Here's to many happy days in your future E21! - Bea
Thank you for all your comments Bea. I will certainly take them into consideration. And thank you for the welcome. We are looking forward to our new E21 and all the camping we plan to do.
__________________

Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×