Tow Vehicle Peculiarites - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Just for the record, you can adjust the amount of weight distributed with a standard spring bar hitch by changing the number of free chain links and/or adjusting the hitch tilt.
From my (admittedly little) understanding of a traditional WDH and the Andersen hitch, by having minimal weight distribution on the Andersen, I still get full sway and bounce correction, while having only a little weight distribution. I don't think this is the case with a traditional WDH. In that sense my decision was Andersen or nothing. I don't think there is any point in having a traditional WDH and having it set up for minimal weight distribution. That said, I could also be completely wrong in this and I'm sure someone will correct me if that is the case.

I'm still debating the Andersen hitch as the VW has anti-sway control built into it's Brembo braking system and I don't plan on using the hitch for weight distribution as I figure even at max load (4500 lbs/450 lbs on hitch) I'll still be well under the (7,700 lbs / 616 lbs hitch rating of the T'reg so weight distribution is not only not recommended but likely not really needed.

I just think it's probably better to eliminate the sway before it begins (with Andersen hitch) than to control it after the fact with the vehicle's ABS system. It's only a few hundred dollars for the hitch. That's a lot less than the agony, expense, hassle and possible injuries if somehow a trailer manages to go into an uncontrollable sway situation.

bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #22

Trailer: ?
I am not at all convinced of the above claims for the superiority of the Andersen hitch.

jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
And I'm wondering what everyone did before all these expensive gadgets were available as recreational trailers have been around a long, long time. It must have been total mayhem on the roads.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
And I'm wondering what everyone did before all these expensive gadgets were available as recreational trailers have been around a long, long time.
Hi: KarenH... I think our fore Fathers drove just under the sway limit. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
And I'm wondering what everyone did before all these expensive gadgets were available as recreational trailers have been around a long, long time. It must have been total mayhem on the roads.
I know. I remember reading an anniversary issue of West World Magazine (magazine for Alberta Motor Association) a few years ago. They reprinted an article from their first issue. It was a how-to article for mounting patio door handles onto the dashboard of your vehicle so that your kids would have something to hang onto while standing up looking out the front window. How things have changed...
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Back then most cars could have handled a fiberglass or metal trailer with out any help but maybe some heavy duty shocks. Figure most medium sized cars curb weight was at 5k plus Lbs and 4 door sedans some where in the neighborhood of 6k plus Lbs. Pick up trucks rated for a half ton could usually hold 3/4 ton with out hitting the bump stops etc etc. Not to mention none had computer controlled engines and suspensions oh and you could get in a 10Mph crash and get out wipe the paint off the bumper and go on. LOL

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #27

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
Tow vehicles

As a baby of about 1 year my folks with the three of us kids left Colorado for Montana and then Washington in a +/- 3000# 1939 Ford towing a house trailer about 28' long. The hitch was a piece of 2x4 steel channel bent to fit inside the rear bumper with U bolts around the bumper braces and a ball in the center. Of course I don't really remember the trip but we do have pictures and the hitch was kept for use on a couple of later cars that I do remember. No WDH but I'm sure the 85 horse engine allowed top speeds of 40 to 50 on level and 10 to 20 on a hill in 2nd gear. My guess at that speed there was no sway as the trailer had a constant pull back, probably even down hill. I would guess at least one of us kids spent a lot of time above the back seat without a seat belt. All things I wouldn't do now or allow grand kids to do now.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Back-in-the-day (with rose colored glasses), compared to today: roads were narrower, there were fewer drivers per household, speeds were slower, cars were massive, gas was cheaper, MPG was horrible, drivers did stooopid things and died.

Out of all these things only the last one still applies.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yep, nobody does that anymore. Now we have laws.... We can look back on those photos of huge trailers being towed by vehicles a quarter of their size and marvel at how they did it. Some of those photos are pretty funny. They had their version of WDHs with wheels at the front of the trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
As a baby of about 1 year my folks with the three of us kids left Colorado for Montana and then Washington in a +/- 3000# 1939 Ford towing a house trailer about 28' long. The hitch was a piece of 2x4 steel channel bent to fit inside the rear bumper with U bolts around the bumper braces and a ball in the center. Of course I don't really remember the trip but we do have pictures and the hitch was kept for use on a couple of later cars that I do remember. No WDH but I'm sure the 85 horse engine allowed top speeds of 40 to 50 on level and 10 to 20 on a hill in 2nd gear. My guess at that speed there was no sway as the trailer had a constant pull back, probably even down hill. I would guess at least one of us kids spent a lot of time above the back seat without a seat belt. All things I wouldn't do now or allow grand kids to do now.
Jack of Tucson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Also looking back on those times the roads were less congested and there weren't nearly as many people traveling and driving or towing rv's. I'm glad that I'll be towing a light fiberglass rv and have the advantage of learning from others experiences.

« It's Time | Hello! »