Truck bed size - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Yorktown, Virginia
Trailer: NA
Posts: 15
Truck bed size

If you pull a 5.0TA with a 6 ft bed truck, will you still have room to put a truck tool box in the bed?
__________________

ChuckPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 664
What truck are you looking at, is the bed length exactly 6 feet? Typically short bed half tons are in the 5-1/2' range, our Ram quad cab has a 6'4" bed which allows adequate room for a toolbox in front of the hitch rails. With a shorter bed I don't think you'd have room for a standard toolbox, but there are many toolbox options out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recon hitch 1.jpg (161.2 KB, 20 views)
__________________

__________________
David, Mary, and 3 Cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Yorktown, Virginia
Trailer: NA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
What truck are you looking at, is the bed length exactly 6 feet? Typically short bed half tons are in the 5-1/2' range, our Ram quad cab has a 6'4" bed which allows adequate room for a toolbox in front of the hitch rails. With a shorter bed I don't think you'd have room for a standard toolbox, but there are many toolbox options out there.
Thanks for the nice pic and reply. I don't have the truck yet but was considering a Toyota Tundra and the short bed is 6.5 ft for the double cab and 5.5 for the crewmax cab.
ChuckPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckPK View Post
Thanks for the nice pic and reply. I don't have the truck yet but was considering a Toyota Tundra and the short bed is 6.5 ft for the double cab and 5.5 for the crewmax cab.
I pull our 5.0 TA with a 2012 Tundra 4x4 4.6 l double cab 6.5 ft bed. It works great. We have the Anderson hitch and I carry a water tank and my Honda 3000is generator in front of the hitch no problem
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Yorktown, Virginia
Trailer: NA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I pull our 5.0 TA with a 2012 Tundra 4x4 4.6 l double cab 6.5 ft bed. It works great. We have the Anderson hitch and I carry a water tank and my Honda 3000is generator in front of the hitch no problem
Thanks! My guess is the CrewMax with its' 5.5' bed would be tight (as far as putting a toolbox in front of the hitch).
ChuckPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 273
Yes I think the foot is lost in the front of the bed not the back...so the 5.5 ft would end up with less space in front of the hitch.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckPK View Post
If you pull a 5.0TA with a 6 ft bed truck, will you still have room to put a truck tool box in the bed?
Hi: ChuckPK... A tool box is a subjective thing. My concern was room to leave my tri-fold tonneau on while towing. We did have a double cab Fronty with a 6'1" box and now have a Ram 1500 double cab with a 5'7" box. In both cases the tonneau can stay on while towing. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030712.jpg (223.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P1040872.jpg (228.3 KB, 28 views)
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,758
If Ian can tell you the measurement between his hitch and the front wall of the bed you could make a good guess at the measurement for a 5.5, like he mentioned, the foot is lost in the front.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wacissa, Florida
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA #58
Posts: 15
Heads Up: Page 183 of the Toyota Tundra CrewMax owner manual states " CrewMax Models: Current fifth wheel trailer designs are not compatible with short bed."
This is a concern that the short bed of the truck might cause the front of the fifth wheel trailer to touch the truck's cab when backing up.
I have a Reece 5th Wheel Sliding hitch and don't find this to be a concern. I did have one shop decline to install it.

I doubt you'd have the space for a tool box but I haven't considered installing one.
GusGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,154
I insisted on a 6.5' bed, as until now have never had anything shorter than 8'. This meant to go to a Super Cab, which was pretty near a must I had to buy a truck with the largest Ford EcoBoost, the 3.5L model. I installed a gooseneck mount and an Anderson Ultimate hitch. I also installed a Fold-a-Cover tonneau with their toolbox. I did not add a lift kit to the trailer either. Everything works just great.

Over three years of use now, with towing using up 2/3 of my kilometres towing the 5.0TA and a couple bumper pull work trailers, I am extremely happy. Other than regular service work and a couple recall items, I only had to install a throttle regulator and nothing else. Very happy to this point.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Yes I think the foot is lost in the front of the bed not the back...so the 5.5 ft would end up with less space in front of the hitch.
Yes... in essentially all current pickups, the portion rearward from the axle is indentical (just as the portion from the front doors forward), regardless of box length. The cab and box lengths determine the wheelbase. So a 5.5' box has one foot less length from axle to cab (and one foot less wheelbase) than with the same cab and 6.5' box. On the other hand, you may mount the hitch further back (relative to the axle) with the shorter box to gain trailer-to-cab clearance, and so regain some box space in front of the hitch as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:47 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGill View Post
Heads Up: Page 183 of the Toyota Tundra CrewMax owner manual states " CrewMax Models: Current fifth wheel trailer designs are not compatible with short bed."
This is a concern that the short bed of the truck might cause the front of the fifth wheel trailer to touch the truck's cab when backing up.
Yes, but Toyota is ignoring the existence of the Escape 5.0TA, which may not be unreasonable given that it is low production volume model and unique in its size among current production models in North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGill View Post
I have a Reece 5th Wheel Sliding hitch and don't find this to be a concern.
That works, but other 5.0TA owners with 5.5' boxes use fixed hitches without problems, by locating the pin far enough back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
jnfrombigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Augusta, South Carolina
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
Posts: 576
57" bed. The Andersen hitch has been offset 4" to the rear. Bakflip calls this a "folding tool box". The rear face of the folding tool box is 15 1/4" from the bed front wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tool box clearance (2).jpg (229.8 KB, 26 views)
__________________
"Everyday's a Holiday"
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Yorktown, Virginia
Trailer: NA
Posts: 15
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the informative replies.
ChuckPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Trailer: Looking for preowned ESCAPE 5th Wheel
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGill View Post
Heads Up: Page 183 of the Toyota Tundra CrewMax owner manual states " CrewMax Models: Current fifth wheel trailer designs are not compatible with short bed."
This is a concern that the short bed of the truck might cause the front of the fifth wheel trailer to touch the truck's cab when backing up.
I have a Reece 5th Wheel Sliding hitch and don't find this to be a concern. I did have one shop decline to install it.

I doubt you'd have the space for a tool box but I haven't considered installing one.
Im picking up my 5.0 TA around March, completion Date is Dec 10, 2019. I have a '19 GMC CANYON with a 5' 1" length bed. The truck is equipped with HD suspension and 20" wheels, the V6 develops 302HP and has an 8 speed automatic Transmission. I could not find anyone willing to install a hitch here in Dallas, Tx. When I call ETI, they put me in touch with their installer. He guaranteed an Andersen Hitch would fit, albeit there is no made to order kit yet. They will do a custom fit, and said they have done more than a dozen of these installs on the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. My truck is rated for 7700 lbs total gross weight. The new engines and trannys are very peppy and develop plenty of torque also.
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Yorktown, Virginia
Trailer: NA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDoesIt View Post
Im picking up my 5.0 TA around March, completion Date is Dec 10, 2019. I have a '19 GMC CANYON with a 5' 1" length bed. The truck is equipped with HD suspension and 20" wheels, the V6 develops 302HP and has an 8 speed automatic Transmission. I could not find anyone willing to install a hitch here in Dallas, Tx. When I call ETI, they put me in touch with their installer. He guaranteed an Andersen Hitch would fit, albeit there is no made to order kit yet. They will do a custom fit, and said they have done more than a dozen of these installs on the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. My truck is rated for 7700 lbs total gross weight. The new engines and trannys are very peppy and develop plenty of torque also.
The willingness to share and help on this forum is spectacular! What model of Andersen hitch did you decide on?
ChuckPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
jnfrombigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Augusta, South Carolina
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDoesIt View Post
Im picking up my 5.0 TA around March, completion Date is Dec 10, 2019. I have a '19 GMC CANYON with a 5' 1" length bed. The truck is equipped with HD suspension and 20" wheels, the V6 develops 302HP and has an 8 speed automatic Transmission. I could not find anyone willing to install a hitch here in Dallas, Tx. When I call ETI, they put me in touch with their installer. He guaranteed an Andersen Hitch would fit, albeit there is no made to order kit yet. They will do a custom fit, and said they have done more than a dozen of these installs on the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. My truck is rated for 7700 lbs total gross weight. The new engines and trannys are very peppy and develop plenty of torque also.
George what I did was install a curt gooseneck hitch myself which I got off ebay for $177 USD and an Andersen hitch that I also got off ebay $525. Nothing was hard to install. I have Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 57" bed 240hp tow rated 7740 with max cargo1350.
__________________
"Everyday's a Holiday"
jnfrombigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Trailer: Looking for preowned ESCAPE 5th Wheel
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckPK View Post
The willingness to share and help on this forum is spectacular! What model of Andersen hitch did you decide on?
I will let ETI’s hitch installers do all the engineering, I talked with their rep and was satisfied they know how to make it work, he was very confident that they can do it based on previous experience with the Canyon and 5.0 TA fifth wheel.
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Trailer: Looking for preowned ESCAPE 5th Wheel
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
George what I did was install a curt gooseneck hitch myself which I got off ebay for $177 USD and an Andersen hitch that I also got off ebay $525. Nothing was hard to install. I have Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 57" bed 240hp tow rated 7740 with max cargo1350.
JN, thanks for the tip, I will check and see about the gooseneck hitch, with Anderson install.
George B
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Jesse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Campbell River, Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 10
We are getting an Andersen hitch installed in our 2019 Ford Ranger by TradeMasters, just down the road from ETI. We stopped by right after ordering our 5.0TA. The sales rep came outside looked at our truck & had a tech mechanic look under the truck take measurements etc. and said no problem installing the rails and Andersen Hitch. They were very professional. Installation date October 22 and we pick up our 5.0TA in the new year. We are only a few hours away from ETI which made our ordering of the 5.0TA and the Andersen hitch very easy as we were able to visit both companies the same day. I’ll take some pictures after the hitch is installed.
__________________

Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×