Commenting on Classified ads (continued) - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 17b
Commenting on Classified ads (continued)

I have to second what Lyle wrote above. If you use what a new one costs as your base price, you're out of the ballpark, because yours isn't new, even if you then depreciate it accordingly.

I'm in the position of wanting a used one to save money, but will instead buy new if I have to pay the kind of prices people are asking for used, as it's not that much more, and then I get the options I want. Sure, Escapes are popular, but so is having money in your pocket.

Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Content removed/Edited based on a good point made by a fellow forum member. Your price is your price.

rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

I think that's also a number I might consider for that trailer, though even that seems a bit high, considering I could be in a new 2015 for $22,500 w/o any options at all if I were really watching my pennies, and maybe add some options later (AC).

Problem with options is that not everyone wants what you do, so some aren't going to have a good return, if any return at all. As a non-TV watcher, any option that involves TV is of no interest to me - that sort of thing.

One can argue that new ones aren't available, but they are - in February of 2015 I could have a new 17er and maybe sooner, if someone were to cancel their order, which happens. That's really not that far off.

So, for the same price as this used trailer (24,000) I could have a new one with 1,500 worth of options.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
I think that's also a number I might consider for that trailer, though even that seems a bit high, considering I could be in a new 2015 for $22,500 w/o any options at all if I were really watching my pennies, and maybe add some options later (AC).

Problem with options is that not everyone wants what you do, so some aren't going to have a good return, if any return at all. As a non-TV watcher, any option that involves TV is of no interest to me - that sort of thing.

One can argue that new ones aren't available, but they are - in February of 2015 I could have a new 17er and maybe sooner, if someone were to cancel their order, which happens. That's really not that far off.

So, for the same price as this used trailer (24,000) I could have a new one with 1,500 worth of options.
You want me to cancel my order so you can buy mine?....he he...just kidding!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
As others have mentioned, the price you are going to get is what someone is willing to pay. There are many variables - quantity available in your area, distance from Chilliwack & wait times (for an Escape), condition, time of year, brand, etc.

Your starting price is fine if you are willing to wait for a buyer that meets all the variables, but will probably have to do what they do with real estate - start dropping the price until you find the selling price, if you want a quick sale.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You want me to cancel my order so you can buy mine?....he he...just kidding!
PM me if you're really maybe not kidding.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Some of you folk need to back off a bit. This is a For Sale Forum, and not meant for discussing pricing, ESPECIALLY if you are not interested in buying this trailer. Price discussions are best done by PM or email.

It is because of threads like this, getting drawn astray, and reducing the chance of the sale happening, that at FGRV we implemented the no discussing of pricing at all on the thread, only queries about the particulars of the unit for sale (we do try to police this, but the odd no-no slips by us). It is up to any buyer to educate themselves on what a good price point would be, and discuss privately with the seller on their knowledge.

Some forums even go so far as to allow zero discussion on the listing, no different than selling on Kijiji, or Craig's List.

Well, this is my personal opinion on it anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #8

Jon, the wife and I are really enjoying reading your travel blog, and seeing the well done photos. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, this is my personal opinion on it anyway.
And a good one it is as I was getting increasingly uncomfortable with the way the thread was heading...
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Near as i can tell, there is no rule on this forum about commenting on price. I can't find any rule anyway.
I found the comments on pricing reasonable, thought out and not out of line. On the other hand, I'd probably pull the ad if I were the OP and re-submit it later under a new heading.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote