Importing to the US - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I guess Escape is being inspected by the Canadian officials on all those units being sent to USA. I too got the request. Fortunately I had my DMV make copies of all the paperwork I submitted 3 months ago and fortunately one was the stamped
Customs copy which I took a photo and then emailed back to Escape today. Interestingly enough I got a letter from State of Pennsylvania, Excise Tax division today stating that a 6% excise tax is due for imported trailers. I checked and this is the same rate as the sales tax I paid to obtain title and registration. I called the Excise Tax and informed them that I paid a sales tax to get my tags and they told me that they wanted me to send them a copy of my registration. I said "Isn't DMV located 2 floors down in your building and why can you not verify with them my sales tax". Furthermore I said "I do not have a fax, I do not have a xerox machine like he does and I do not have a stamp because I pay everything on line". He said he would take of it and for me not to bother. I thanked him and asked for a resolution letter that it was resolved.
Our bureaucracy in action.....I know I was part of it for 38 years.

never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Fortunately, for purchases such as this, California only has Use Tax and Sales Tax, which are also the same rate, and it's one or the other, not both. Use Tax is applied if it's not collected by the California retailer at the time of purchase. Unfortunately, our rates are close to the highest in the nation, it was 8.5% for me, and we're going up another .25% January 1st.

Tammy e-mailed me today noting that henceforth they're asking their US customers to make a copy of the 7501 after being stamped, and to forward that copy to them.

2009 Tacoma Crew Cab, TRD 4WD
2007 Tundra Double Cab TRD 4WD
2014 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Trailer: 2013 15B
We financed a portion of our purchase through our credit union. They volunteered to do the registration and licensing paperwork with Oregon DMV. Their work occurred about the same time we were on our way to Chilliwack to get our Escape. I got my stamped 7501 at the border and my plates came from Oregon DMV through the credit union last week. So far, Oregon DMV has not requested the 7501.
Jim and Robin
Jeep Liberty
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
We exited Canada through Sumas on July 3. I was able to register and put the Texas plate on at the factory. We stopped and got our Form 7501 stamped and were on our way in 10 minutes. They only asked how we got our registration before we took delivery. And let us travel on our way. At the time the US Border Protection Officers were preoccupied taking a minivan apart.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
I had quite a different experience than Blugene re: importing into Oregon. After showing evidence of purchase at a DMV office they handed me the new plates for our Escape. It sure surprised me! We then put the plates on at the factory before we headed home. I did have to take the trailer in for DMV to verify the VIN. We also got to keep the original 7150 form. I think we were just lucky in dealing with the bureaucracies. I have since made copies of everything in case they come after me.
2012 17B, 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6
holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Trailer: 2011 Escape 19'
Given that I am also in PA, I wonder why I have not heard from the tax guys like Jim. I'll opt not to wake the bureaucracy beast by looking into it.

As I recall, in 2011 I just went to a notary and they submitted all the registration info. I kept all my paperwork but I have to find it again in my records.

Arathar is offline   Reply With Quote