Notarized bill of sale required for NJ title - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Notarized bill of sale required for NJ title

We recently applied for a NJ title for our 2017 Escape 19. The MVC in NJ accepted all of our documents except the bill of sale because it was not notarized. I have called the MVC multiple times already and explained that Escape Trailers is a manufacturer/dealer and our names are on the certificate of origin. Each time I was told that the bill of sale still needs to be notarized IN CANADA. Has anyone else on the forum needed to have their bill of sale notarized? I have already made the request to Escape for it but I still can't understand why NJ needs the notarization.

markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Did you have to notarize your vehicle when getting tags for it? A notary can be found most anywhere, find out what need to be notarized, your signature or what? The certificate of origin is what you need for registration, I'm not sure there is a "bill of sale" here.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Did you have to notarize your vehicle when getting tags for it? A notary can be found most anywhere, find out what need to be notarized, your signature or what? The certificate of origin is what you need for registration, I'm not sure there is a "bill of sale" here.
They want the seller's signature on the bill of sale notarized IN CANADA. I don't understand why but I will just give them what they need so we can get our title.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Sounds like you hit a typical bureaucratic buzzsaw. There's no such requirement if you read through the documents NJ has put online, but trust me, there's no telling that to the folks at a DMV - in any state.

I would suggest perhaps trying another office, maybe one that's more rural. You often get a different answer depending on where you go, and who you ask.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Sounds like you hit a typical bureaucratic buzzsaw. There's no such requirement if you read through the documents NJ has put online, but trust me, there's no telling that to the folks at a DMV - in any state.

I would suggest perhaps trying another office, maybe one that's more rural. You often get a different answer depending on where you go, and who you ask.
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately there is only one office in NJ that processes foreign titles. I could probably fight this requirement and win but I don't have the patience and time to do so.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by markh View Post
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately there is only one office in NJ that processes foreign titles. I could probably fight this requirement and win but I don't have the patience and time to do so.
I would ask them to show you where that requirement is seen --- they must be seeing it somewhere to insist upon it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 1721
In NC we too had to have a notarized Bill of Sale (Cert of Origin). We had Escape get it notarized and sent to us so we could obtain plates. Escape does charge a fee to do this, but it was worth the cost to get past that part of the process.
rotateclockwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 97 Casita SD 16 ft -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
In NC we too had to have a notarized Bill of Sale (Cert of Origin). We had Escape get it notarized and sent to us so we could obtain plates. Escape does charge a fee to do this, but it was worth the cost to get past that part of the process.
Good to know. Will ETI notarize the Bill of Sale when you purchase in person? Do they have a notary on site?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by markh View Post
You're probably right. It's easier in the long run to just have Escape notarize the Bill of Sale.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
Good to know. Will ETI notarize the Bill of Sale when you purchase in person? Do they have a notary on site?
I believe notary works differently in Canada (not as many notary's). If I remember correctly, Escape coordinates with their bank to have the certificate of origin and/or bill of sale notarized. Before your Escape is complete, they will mail you forms like the bill of sale, import docs, and such. I recommend asking your primary contact at Escape to have the Cert or Origin and/or bill of sale notarized before they mail it to you. They did this for us and we were able to obtain plates before we went to Canada for orientation and pickup. Your state laws will dictate what forms must be notarized (if applicable).

rotateclockwise is online now   Reply With Quote