Charging trailer batteries - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,063
One of these is the best thing ever threw in the tow box.
http://amzn.to/2hKdDkk
We just used it to repair a TV 7 pin issue at Scamp Camp SW.
Second would be a multimeter and as Alan says above turn your car key on and measure the charge line pin and ground and see if power is present at the TV 7pin. Usually if battery stops charging trailer from TV it is the fuse right off the +battery post, but if the car is equipped from the factory that fuse may be located on one of the fuse panels in the engine. On Scamps if the 30A fuse on the interior trailer power panel for the 12V line is blown, it will interrupt TV charging as well. Not sure if that applies to Escapes.
__________________

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,462
I have the 7-pin tester and a 4-pin tester. When I had a problem on the tow vehicle, I learned that there was a faulty 4-pin connection under the vehicle, that led to the 7-pin. Cleaned up some corrosion and was back in business.
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
One of these is the best thing ever threw in the tow box.
http://amzn.to/2hKdDkk
We just used it to repair a TV 7 pin issue at Scamp Camp SW.
Second would be a multimeter and as Alan says above turn your car key on and measure the charge line pin and ground and see if power is present at the TV 7pin. Usually if battery stops charging trailer from TV it is the fuse right off the +battery post, but if the car is equipped from the factory that fuse may be located on one of the fuse panels in the engine. On Scamps if the 30A fuse on the interior trailer power panel for the 12V line is blown, it will interrupt TV charging as well. Not sure if that applies to Escapes.
Thanks. I will see about that.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...so I suggest checking your 4Runner's towing receptacle (with the ignition off and no trailer plugged in) to see if there is power - hopefully and probably not.
Not sure what year 4Runner float5 has but on the 4th generation (2003-2009) models the power to the 7 pin terminal is off when the vehicle is off.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure what year 4Runner float5 has but on the 4th generation (2003-2009) models the power to the 7 pin terminal is off when the vehicle is off.
Fifth generation, 2011. Thanks.

Had someone at an auto parts place look at the battery but he is not familiar with a wire that would be used for a trailer. He couldn't find anything not connected though. Neither can I.
(photos above)
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Usually if battery stops charging trailer from TV it is the fuse right off the +battery post, but if the car is equipped from the factory that fuse may be located on one of the fuse panels in the engine.
The 2011 4Runner should have a 30A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Position #5 that is called "SUB BATT" which is the trailer sub battery circuit. If this is blown it will kill power on the trailer charge line. I would check this.

Toyota 4Runner Fifth Generation (N280) (2010 2012) fuse box diagram | Auto Genius
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The 2011 4Runner should have a 30A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Position #5 that is called "SUB BATT" which is the trailer sub battery circuit. If this is blown it will kill power on the trailer charge line. I would check this.

Toyota 4Runner Fifth Generation (N280) (2010 2012) fuse box diagram | Auto Genius
Thank you. Will look for that.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,653
Went to the trailer today. Were going to take it out shortly to charge batteries. Used the tug, up to 13.4 in 20 minutes. Last time no such charging in a longer time, nothing. The only obvious difference is that it was much colder last time. Today it is above freezing. That is probably not it. Will have to try it again in colder weather and see if there is the same result.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,636
Don't you just love electrical problems.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't you just love electrical problems.
Yes, I am thinking it could have been something not quite right there.
__________________

__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.