More Solar!!! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Cord to battery isn't long enough. Won't even reach the ground. I'd just leave it on the top of the battery with the battery box cover over it, if that were OK.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
And on those inlets, I am waiting until after my visit with Escape next Monday before ordering. They have a few great options, and the fellow I am dealing with is very helpful.

I did buy an 80W GoPower portable panel at the RV show here. They had it and the 120W on for a great sale price, $400 and $500 (tax in). I would have got the 120W, but liked the size of the 80W, and will be getting the fixed panel too, so this will be employed for cases like the OP listed, when amongst the trees, or any other necessary use.
Jim,

I bought a portable 90w panel because I don't have rooftop panels. but found it inadequate to fully charge our dual 6v batteries unless it was in the sun all day. When I'm camping, I usually find something better to do than re-pointing solar panels. Fine for a single 12v battery. I just upgraded to a Zamp 170w unit. It tops off the batteries in a couple hours.

When we're talking $700 or so, I lock it up tighter than Fort Knox, so far so good.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Jim,

I bought a portable 90w panel because I don't have rooftop panels. but found it inadequate to fully charge our dual 6v batteries unless it was in the sun all day. When I'm camping, I usually find something better to do than re-pointing solar panels. Fine for a single 12v battery. I just upgraded to a Zamp 170w unit. It tops off the batteries in a couple hours.

When we're talking $700 or so, I lock it up tighter than Fort Knox, so far so good.
I went with the 80W, hoping it would be enough to supplement the factory installed one. I guess time will tell. We are not at all big power consumers either. Dual 6V alone would do use a bunch of days in cold temps.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I went with the 80W, hoping it would be enough to supplement the factory installed one. I guess time will tell. We are not at all big power consumers either. Dual 6V alone would do use a bunch of days in cold temps.
Mine is an 80W and while it doesn't get the dual 6v back to full charge, it does help extend our battery's charge. Like you Jim, we are pretty modest power consumers when camping and can usually go for several day without running our batteries too far down, ever without the solar. The exception is when we need to run the furnace every night - that seems to be our biggest drain.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Jim,

Gregg Hi . Is your Zamp 170 a folding or ? Where did you purchase ? I need some more because I only have the 80 watt . So looking . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
At Quartzsite I used an avg of just under 10 ah per day for the week on the first dry trip with the new ETI installed system. The roof panel had the twin 6's back to full quickly every day in pretty optimal weather conditions. Used the fan quite a bit in the day and had furnace set to 67 at night. Based on the usage I could have easily made the week and more on the twin 6v batteries alone. Nice to know the solar was there to keep the batteries topped up. on the first trip with the factory installed solar and dual 6v.
Looks like from the initial test, I'd only need to look at bringing a portable solar if I was going to exceed 8-9 days in the shade. Each trailer and system will have a different capacity, these figures are the first run on my 19 as configured.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Gregg Hi . Is your Zamp 170 a folding or ? Where did you purchase ? I need some more because I only have the 80 watt . So looking . Pat
Hi Pat. Yes, its a self contained folding unit with a built in controller and fits into a heavy nylon zippered sleeve. Its about $850+ and usually back ordered. I got mine locally after a 3 month wait for $625. I think the store miscalculated but they said the price was good. Honestly, it kinda heavy and bulky. Almost too much to bring along as a backup. Take a look at their 120W system, cheaper, lighter and should be plenty adequate.

My folding 90w was heavy too for me at 28 lbs because of the aluminum case. Old cop injuries from the good old days limit what I can lift.

I'm holding out hope for lightweight flex panels. Someday...
Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Pat. Yes, its a self contained folding unit with a built in controller and fits into a heavy nylon zippered sleeve. Its about $850+ and usually back ordered. I got mine locally after a 3 month wait for $625. I think the store miscalculated but they said the price was good. Honestly, it kinda heavy and bulky. Almost too much to bring along as a backup. Take a look at their 120W system, cheaper, lighter and should be plenty adequate.

My folding 90w was heavy too for me at 28 lbs because of the aluminum case. Old cop injuries from the good old days limit what I can lift.

I'm holding out hope for lightweight flex panels. Someday...
Yep can't wait for flexible to get better too. Have 80 watt Go Power folding . Very nice panels . But not enough for the duals . Just still not comfortable putting on the roof because of ...........thought of getting another 80 watt folding ,but haven't . I kind of go by what my Aunt used to tell me " When you don't know what to do , don't do anything " . We do have a little Honda gen . Someone said someday the panels may be in our awnings . Well the clock is ticking and won't be long . Can't wait to see your new 21 ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Have a folding 160 watt panel from Solar Blvd, works fine but find it too heavy and bulkie. Were I to do it over, I' d opt for the 120 set. In actual practice I have yet to need the folding panels. I average 10-15 Ahr a day, could go at least a week in the shade. I don't sit still longer then that.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Bob,
Do you tow with the refer on solar and if not, why not?