Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I still do not know what we are seeing in the photos. Is that fiberglass all torn up? Is the black the epoxy or just dirt?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I still do not know what we are seeing in the photos. Is that fiberglass all torn up? Is the black the epoxy or just dirt?
Also where are the rails ?
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Also where are the rails ?
Um, probably with the solar panel, wherever that is, since they were bolted to the panel.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Um, probably with the solar panel, wherever that is, since they were bolted to the panel.
I am being a smart alec Robert then the epoxy holding the rails failed because looks like epoxy is still there but the rails are on panel ? Pat
Old 06-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I am being a smart alec Robert then the epoxy holding the rails failed because looks like epoxy is still there but the rails are on panel ? Pat
Only Heaven knows Pat - or maybe the poor soul who found the panel mangled in the middle of the road.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Only Heaven knows Pat - or maybe the poor soul who found the panel mangled in the middle of the road.
Hopefully no one was hurt or someone's property . Going down the road you don't hear that happening . I still need to do some checking before it is off the table for me . Pat
Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #67

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Best I can make out, one rail broke loose from the epoxy. On the other side the epoxy held to the gel coat, instead the gel coat broke loose from the fiberglass. which side failed first is anyone's guess.

Back when I was looking into installing my panel I read it's best to grind away the gel coat, not that I did that but that's what was suggested by West System. Care also needs to be taken for bonding of aluminum to epoxy.

The only grey epoxy I've seen is the putty type, like the JB Weld. It has a 60 minute cure time which fits int he 3 hour time frame they took for the install. FWIW, the longer 24 hr cure time epoxy is quite a bit stronger then the fast cure.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
This just about covers why my solar panel is on a mast. At mile 0 of the Alaska highway, Dawson Creek, and it's blowing a gale but the panels not going anywhere.

!. All traces of epoxy must be removed before using the gelcoat. You can only bond polyester to green polyester and even then it's not all that strong. Epoxy bonds to polyester; polyester gelcoat can't be put over epoxy resin with good results.

2. Through bolting is the only way to go for absolute security. The only major requirement is to use backing pads, not very difficult to do.

3. It's too bad that ETI hasn't modified their molds to create two parrallel ridges about 2" high similar to the ones on boats used for grab rails. This would allow for crossbolts through the ridge without having any intrusion into the interior.

Glad there wasn't anyone injured and good luck with the repair.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Best I can make out, one rail broke loose from the epoxy. On the other side the epoxy held to the gel coat, instead the gel coat broke loose from the fiberglass. which side failed first is anyone's guess.

Back when I was looking into installing my panel I read it's best to grind away the gel coat, not that I did that but that's what was suggested by West System. Care also needs to be taken for bonding of aluminum to epoxy.

The only grey epoxy I've seen is the putty type, like the JB Weld. It has a 60 minute cure time which fits int he 3 hour time frame they took for the install. FWIW, the longer 24 hr cure time epoxy is quite a bit stronger then the fast cure.
Really makes sense . Always best to get down to the real surface with no shine and scratched up to hold better . Was confused about 3-4 hour time to complete when I also saw 24 hours before you attach anything to it or move going down the road . I think I would want the stronger cure . That's just me I tend to overdo and never have to redo . Pat
Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
This just about covers why my solar panel is on a mast. At mile 0 of the Alaska highway, Dawson Creek, and it's blowing a gale but the panels not going anywhere.

!. All traces of epoxy must be removed before using the gelcoat. You can only bond polyester to green polyester and even then it's not all that strong. Epoxy bonds to polyester; polyester gelcoat can't be put over epoxy resin with good results.

2. Through bolting is the only way to go for absolute security. The only major requirement is to use backing pads, not very difficult to do.

3. It's too bad that ETI hasn't modified their molds to create two parrallel ridges about 2" high similar to the ones on boats used for grab rails. This would allow for crossbolts through the ridge without having any intrusion into the interior.

Glad there wasn't anyone injured and good luck with the repair.

Ron
Ron how can I get your mod for the panel ? Pat
Old 06-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #71

Trailer: none
We also hope no one was hurt...we don't think anyone was. Luckily it was a very lightly traveled stretch of road and most people who were on it passed us pretty quickly...
Given the crosswinds, the panel probably blew off sideways...maybe surprised a cow or pronghorn...
We will likely look into some kind of backing to put on the trailer ceiling, through which the panel would be bolted. We'll be thinking about options and listening to suggestions from you folks on the forum too! So keep the suggestions coming!

We agree that on one side the gel coat tore off with the railing and epoxy....still have not climbed up to see it close up. Reace said they use an 'industrial epoxy'....if that is any help....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
We also hope no one was hurt...we don't think anyone was. Luckily it was a very lightly traveled stretch of road and most people who were on it passed us pretty quickly...
Given the crosswinds, the panel probably blew off sideways...maybe surprised a cow or pronghorn...
We will likely look into some kind of backing to put on the trailer ceiling, through which the panel would be bolted. We'll be thinking about options and listening to suggestions from you folks on the forum too! So keep the suggestions coming!

We agree that on one side the gel coat tore off with the railing and epoxy....still have not climbed up to see it close up. Reace said they use an 'industrial epoxy'....if that is any help....
Hey Fran and Dave everyone is very sad this happened to you . Nothing like putting a wench in your trip . Hope you get your trailer fixed as quickly as possible . Pat
Old 06-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not familiar with this detail of boat construction, but like the idea for mounting. On the other hand, I'm picturing the two rails as dams which will hold water on the roof. Not a big deal for rain, and not an issue at all while moving, but if parked in sub-freezing weather it seems like an invitation for ice build-up. A boat deck is more substantial than a travel trailer roof, so it would be less of a concern even if the boat were left on land and uncovered in winter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #74

Quote:
Hey Fran and Dave everyone is very sad this happened to you . Nothing like putting a wench in your trip . Hope you get your trailer fixed as quickly as possible . Pat
Thanks! We're kinda of bummed but are grateful no one got hurt (we hope) and also that we were not counting on the solar for this trip! We're also grateful that ETI will replace the panel...Reace said he would have been able to work with us on the installation if we we able to bring the trailer there...but that's just not an option. Now we just need to figure out how best to secure the new panel. And we thank everyone for the ideas...keep them coming!
Sold both 7/22
Old 06-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm not familiar with this detail of boat construction, but like the idea for mounting. On the other hand, I'm picturing the two rails as dams which will hold water on the roof. Not a big deal for rain, and not an issue at all while moving, but if parked in sub-freezing weather it seems like an invitation for ice build-up. A boat deck is more substantial than a travel trailer roof, so it would be less of a concern even if the boat were left on land and uncovered in winter.
Brian if you were camping somewhere it might be a problem but for us I have my front down while being stored because water was sitting up there anyway when level . So now front is down helps run off . Pat
Old 06-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #76

Trailer: Escape
From the pictures I have seen of the solar panel mounting failure, it appears that the bond between the aluminum square tubing and the "industrial epoxy" fails on one side and the other mount is stressed enough to pull the gel coat from the fiberglass, resulting in a dismounted solar panel.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #77
ksb

Trailer: _
so sorry to hear this, glad you are safe. Hope you can enjoy South Dakota....are you at Custer State Park? beautiful place...
ksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksb View Post
so sorry to hear this, glad you are safe. Hope you can enjoy South Dakota....are you at Custer State Park? beautiful place...
Yes, Custer State Park...Game Lodge CG. It IS a great park...lots of rain though. But we've still been out and about. Here till Wednesday when we head home.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #79

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Here is my last post on the subject of solar panel blowing off: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...anty-2337.html

After one failure with tape and one failure with epoxy (both blew off). It was time to epoxy and bolt my panel to the trailer. Haven't had and issue since. Holes on right hand side of trailer are in cabinet above sink. The other holes on the left side of trailer are in the closet and the other is above the shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar_panel.png  
Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have kicked ETI-Aid as well. Love the trailer but all should remember you are not buying a trailer from a benevolent society; even then of course there would be limits on expectations.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote