Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 53 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #521
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA Nov '14
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
The multiple solar panel roof installation looks well done. Not sure that the method of adjusting the angle of the panels would suit me though. Can't really see me climbing up a step ladder and hovering over the roof several times a day to change the panel angles. I think that if I went to multiple panels on the roof, I would keep them flat lying. If I wanted panels that I could adjust relative to the sun, I would mount them so they were either portable (at ground level) or on a short pole on the front or back of the Escape similar to what another forum member had done (cannot recall who it was).
I've only tilted the panels once and it was a time when I was near a ladder as I don't really want to carry one. I have been ok with leaving them flat and the output has been near max for the 4 panels.
__________________

jhardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #522
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,150
We'd only use tilt when it's winter months and setup somewhere for a long stretch. If one is moving around a bunch, charging on a tow, staying out for 10 days or less then there is no need for tilt panel. Tilt we'll want for full-time and once full time will have one of those collapsible ladders that fit in a fence post with us, because a house needs a ladder for a variety of things.
__________________

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #523
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardie View Post
I've only tilted the panels once and it was a time when I was near a ladder as I don't really want to carry one. I have been ok with leaving them flat and the output has been near max for the 4 panels.
To me it boils down to the time of year you camp. My two flat mounted roof top panels (a 95 & a 100 watt) provide all I need & more after April through the Summer & early Fall, but during November - February I need to add a portable 160 watt panel that I can aim due to the low angle sun & shorter daylight hours. In December, the output of both rooftop panels together was a maximum of 5 amps. They do double that in June.

Another variable is how far North you go. Even in June & July, in Alaska the additional portable panel was helpful.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #524
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA Nov '14
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
To me it boils down to the time of year you camp. My two flat mounted roof top panels (a 95 & a 100 watt) provide all I need & more after April through the Summer & early Fall, but during November - February I need to add a portable 160 watt panel that I can aim due to the low angle sun & shorter daylight hours. In December, the output of both rooftop panels together was a maximum of 5 amps. They do double that in June.

Another variable is how far North you go. Even in June & July, in Alaska the additional portable panel was helpful.
To be honest the one time I did tilt the panels was in December and in southern California when the angle of the sun wasn't as high as it is in the spring or summer. I only raised the 2nd panel from the back and the very front one to avoid shadowing the other panels. The result was some increase in output. I think my main concern is being up on a ladder and having to really lean to get to the upper panel... I just wasn't that confident on the ladder stretching out and lifting the panel to tilt it.
jhardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #525
Senior Member
 
craiginpetaluma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: petaluma, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardie View Post
To be honest the one time I did tilt the panels was in December and in southern California when the angle of the sun wasn't as high as it is in the spring or summer. I only raised the 2nd panel from the back and the very front one to avoid shadowing the other panels. The result was some increase in output. I think my main concern is being up on a ladder and having to really lean to get to the upper panel... I just wasn't that confident on the ladder stretching out and lifting the panel to tilt it.
My 160 watt panels are wide enough (and mounted cross wise) that the brackets are near the edges and reaching them is Easy. They are only a foot or so in from the side and a small ladder is all I need. If mounted length wise……… much more difficult as you would need to reach almost the center of the roof.
__________________

craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.