Our solar panel blew off!! - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #101

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
... you have the unpredictable wind conditions going down the road . If the wind is blowing right doesn't matter how slow you are going I would think . Pat
Yes, I suppose your right. I think the only wind condition we have any control over is tow speed. When you think of it, a trailer traveling at 60 mph has a 60 mph wind hitting it. I usually tow at about 55 mph and I get passed all the time.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The posted record of solar panel losses while driving seems to me to point at clear evidence that failures are due mostly if not exclusively to one and only one specific cause: unusually severe weather.

Al Gore was right. I'm blaming solar warming.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #103

where did you see the posted record MyronL?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #104

Re-read post #91.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #105

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Yes, I suppose your right. I think the only wind condition we have any control over is tow speed. When you think of it, a trailer traveling at 60 mph has a 60 mph wind hitting it. I usually tow at about 55 mph and I get passed all the time.
Me too .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #106

MyronL, I just read post 91 and it looks to me like the failure comes from epoxy not severe weather. I'm not doubting weather as an ingredient to this failure I just haven't seen the same proof you've seen. High winds tear apart stuff all the time. I'm happy that the panels are now being bolted. Still, I have to say that a 60mph head wind (towing speed) could be a factor and perhaps a fairing could diffuse this force.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #107

Trailer: none
Quote:
I also asked about the use of fairings in post 46 of this same thread.
Another thing that hasn't been addressed, in regard to solar panels blowing off, is tow speed. How fast should one (safely) tow a fully loaded Escape Trailer. Would speed have a bearing on this particular problem? It might.
Dont think speed was a factor. We were driving between 60 and 65 mph but had lots of crosswinds in a thunderstorm situation. Wide open plains ... might have been less than 60...don't know exactly when the panel took off....
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #108

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Folks:
I just emailed ETI and commended them for the manner in which they;'re handling this issue. I spent my working life in the retail outdoor industry. I frequently heard suppliers try to explain away problems with their products by claiming that their return rate was less than 3%. According to Reace's figures, the failure rate with the epoxy mounted panels was 0.7%, and the VHB mounted panels 1.7% (combined failure rate of only 0.78%!). That ETI is taking this relatively small failure rate so seriously (and offering a solution for both current and previous customers) is an example of outstanding customer service--well done!
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #109

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Have driven 65 - 70 mph in gusty 60 mph crosswinds for better part of two days travel through Montana and Alberta and my solar panel is intact. I suspect problems are less related to speed and wind, and more related to bond quality on individual installations.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #110

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Joe View Post
Reace, just wondering if you have considered a fiberglass fairing around the epoxy attached solar panel ?
Quote:
Another thing that hasn't been addressed, in regard to solar panels blowing off, is tow speed. How fast should one (safely) tow a fully loaded Escape Trailer. Would speed have a bearing on this particular problem?
Airspeed certainly will be important, as will airflow direction. Both are the result of combining road speed and wind speed and direction. Both intentional body features (such as airdams) and incidental features (vents, air conditioner, etc) will affect airflow as well. Air deflectors with an assurance of effectiveness might not be simple to design, and I don't think there will be an easy definitive answer (such as "you're good to 100 kilometres per hour regardless of wind and other equipment") other than from experience.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #111
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Have driven 65 - 70 mph in gusty 60 mph crosswinds for better part of two days travel through Montana and Alberta and my solar panel is intact. I suspect problems are less related to speed and wind, and more related to bond quality on individual installations.
I (retired mechanical engineer) agree. Prep for an epoxy bond is crucial and in the factory environment at ETI it could certainly vary. Reace changing the design to a bolt-on eliminates that key variable.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #112

Charlie, that's exactly right. Any other solution is over thinking the problem, and complicating the solution.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #113

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
L brackets could be fiberglassed in the correct location then jell coated kinda like the wood is fiberglassed for the cabinet connection. I'm a big fan of limiting the holes drilled through the shell, especially in the roof.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #114

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Perhaps someday Dometic could offer a solar panel flush built into their air conditioner cowling. It's done now in the roofs of electric cars. Dometic builds a large volume of RV air conditioners and should be able to offer this feature as a cost effective option. Benefits would be a high position to catch the sun, a clean look and solid mount.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #115

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Just checked my solar panel and still seems to be solidly fastened after 12,000+ miles.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoaoka View Post
While the bolted on solution is more failsafe, we may not have the skill nor the time to apply tbe change immediately. I wonder if it is possible to do a simple inspection before each trip to minimize the risk? What's the odd of the panel to come off if it doesn't already show sign of detachment ?
I have the same concern, I am not handy at all, and I don't have the skill to install the bolts, if I start drilling holes in My trailer for sure will end up with a mini golf club in My roof, But I am sure that in this recall for the solar panel, Reace and Tammy will solve the problem for unskilled persons like Me.

Or it might be that some solar panels after a safety inspection at ETI pass, and will not need the bolts after all. But I will leave this to the professionals.
gclatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #117

Trailer: Escape
This concern is definitely limiting our travel plans. I may have to remove the panels until we receive the "backup to epoxy fix".
Old 06-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #118

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
Just checked my solar panel and still seems to be solidly fastened after 12,000+ miles.
More like 4000 for me.

I've stress tested the bonding by driving at 70, subjecting it to 80 mph crosswinds, and taking it down incredibly bumpy gravel roads (not all at the same time). I went up on a ladder and see no evidence of any issue.

That said, I'd happily install a mechanical reinforcement if one becomes available. It's been a few decades since engineering school; but I'm reasonably handy with no fear of drilling holes in a $30k toy.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
More like 4000 for me.

I've stress tested the bonding by driving at 70, subjecting it to 80 mph crosswinds, and taking it down incredibly bumpy gravel roads (not all at the same time). I went up on a ladder and see no evidence of any issue.

That said, I'd happily install a mechanical reinforcement if one becomes available. It's been a few decades since engineering school; but I'm reasonably handy with no fear of drilling holes in a $30k toy.
One thing is fear and another a humble admission of limitations. That said I am far away of feeling fear about anything.

cheers.
gclatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #120
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Solar panel. I have, in my life been in situations where fear was a valid emotion at the time. However fearing breakdowns, blowouts, dislocated solar panels, speeding tickets and other day to day eventualities, has never been a cause for fear. You're only gonna live so long, respect the weather and the physics at hand, develop your plan and put the hammer down. It's worked for me for going on 7 decades and I'm not changing now. ETI has consistently shown me that they have a great corporate moral compass, I'll ride with them any where any day.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote