Propane Quick Connect Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Propane Quick Connect Question

Just picked up a Weber Q1000 grill, changing it over to work with the trailers quick connect port. Removed the grills regulator and went to put on a male quick connect but found in my junk pile 2 different types of connectors. From poking around the internet a little they may be full and restricted flow although I can't find an end shot of either. Does anyone know which type I should be using?
Attached Thumbnails
quick connect (1024 x 576).jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Hi Bob, I did the same for our Fire Bowl. The correct connection is the unrestricted one on the left. Works great!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

Thanks Steve.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
... went to put on a male quick connect but found in my junk pile 2 different types of connectors. From poking around the internet a little they may be full and restricted flow although I can't find an end shot of either. Does anyone know which type I should be using?
I agree with Steve. It's hard for me to imagine a sufficient rate of propane flow with the tiny orifice of the one on the right, especially with the nearly-zero pressure available in a low-pressure connection.

Certainly what I used has a through hole comparable to the one on the left.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Thanks Steve.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Connector

Hope you like your new Weber, we sure like ours. In the picture as in life, left is the way to go. IMHO
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
Would the connect on the left work for all Weber BBQ's? I think we have the Weber Baby Q.
Thanks,
Larry & Judy
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Bob, does the Q 1000 fit in the front storage hatch? Our old Weber Go is showing its age. Thanks, Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Schnauzer
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensworks View Post
Would the connect on the left work for all Weber BBQ's? I think we have the Weber Baby Q.
Thanks,
Larry & Judy
There are quite a few different Weber grills, and they can have quite different propane plumbing and controls. Even in the Q-series, there doesn't appear to be anything called a Baby Q (which was probably a portable Q 100 or maybe portable Q 1000); it looks like they changed models a couple of years ago and now all the Q grills have a model number of 1000 or more... with the higher models being the same grill with more accessories.

The challenge with converting any grill is determining where the pressure regulator and the flame control are located, and how they are connected, so you can remove the regulator, keep (or replace) the control, and make suitable plumbing connections. There are quite a few forum discussions about this.

The fittings Bob showed have a pipe thread - grills often have an SAE flare fitting rather than a pipe thread port, and what is left when the stock parts are removed determines what plumbing bits are needed.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are quite a few different Weber grills, and they can have quite different propane plumbing and controls. Even in the Q-series, there doesn't appear to be anything called a Baby Q (which was probably a portable Q 100 or maybe portable Q 1000); it looks like they changed models a couple of years ago and now all the Q grills have a model number of 1000 or more... with the higher models being the same grill with more accessories.

The challenge with converting any grill is determining where the pressure regulator and the flame control are located, and how they are connected, so you can remove the regulator, keep (or replace) the control, and make suitable plumbing connections. There are quite a few forum discussions about this.

The fittings Bob showed have a pipe thread - grills often have an SAE flare fitting rather than a pipe thread port, and what is left when the stock parts are removed determines what plumbing bits are needed.
Thanks Brian~This was helpful & will check out the other discussions.
Larry
Old 12-21-2016, 05:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensworks View Post
Thanks,
Larry & Judy
Here's a discussion with pictures on the baby Q conversion. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Convert Weber Baby Q to Low Pressure LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Bob, does the Q 1000 fit in the front storage hatch? Our old Weber Go is showing its age. Thanks, Scott

Fat bikes are FUN!
Mine does not, it's too tall. Picked up a large size duffle bag from Cabela's that it fits into pretty good, it'll have to ride in the truck bed. It's Not water proof, so I'll tuck it under the tonneau cover if it looks like rain. The grill is heavier then I imagined.

Another member here told me his fits in the front storage, either they changed size for the 2015's or there's a trick to it. I didn't spend much time trying. I'll take another look when I get where it's warmer.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #12

Thanks Bob!
Old 12-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Thanks, Bob. Happy Holidays. Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
... Another member here told me his fits in the front storage, either they changed size for the 2015's or there's a trick to it. I didn't spend much time trying.
When I tried to download a manual from Weber, the product selector distinguished between 2014 and an earlier version... so my guess is that they did make it taller a couple of years ago.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
I am finally making the change over to the onboard propane for my BBQ. I am using the supplied propane hose from ETI for another purpose. It just didn't seem any easier than going this direction. WEBER Q RV Quick-Connect Plus Kit w/ 12' M/F QC Hose - propanegear
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
I am finally making the change over to the onboard propane for my BBQ. I am using the supplied propane hose from ETI for another purpose. It just didn't seem any easier than going this direction. WEBER Q RV Quick-Connect Plus Kit w/ 12' M/F QC Hose - propanegear
Here is link to video with lots of info that will help anyone looking to convert any Weber Q grill to their RV using the Weber Q Quick Connect Kit mentioned above.

https://youtu.be/fjCeW5s7wvk
Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post

Fat bikes are FUN!
The Q100, formally known as the Baby Q and its replacement, the Q1000 are essentially the same size. Weber changed the base (the feet). Both will fit in the front storage compartment if the lid is removed and the bottom is put in first and the the lid is then replaced. The pins which hold it on are 1/4-inch and Bimini pins for boats (quickly removed and easily reinstalled) can be used in their place. Other 1/4-inch pins with protruding "balls" on one end to keep them from slipping out are available at Ace or other hardware stores. I carry my grill in the back seat, however, in a tote with the leveling sticks I use and a short and long propane hose. Because it is in a tote, we have never noted any smells from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
I found the fittings I needed to convert my Q100 at Lowe's for under $10. I am fortunate to have a custom hose fabricator about 20 miles from my house where I can get low pressure female and male fittings. I put a pigtail with a male fitting on the Q100 so I do not have to wrap a long hose around the grill while being transported. All told, I spent around $35 to convert mine.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
Here is link to video with lots of info that will help anyone looking to convert any Weber Q grill to their RV using the Weber Q Quick Connect Kit mentioned above.

https://youtu.be/fjCeW5s7wvk
Does this conversion mean that we can no longer use our Weber with smaller propane bottles when we are away from the trailer?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Does this conversion mean that we can no longer use our Weber with smaller propane bottles when we are away from the trailer?

Correct, you'd have to come up with a way to rig in the regulator, which is removed when you convert, along with the flame control.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Quote:
Correct, you'd have to come up with a way to rig in the regulator, which is removed when you convert, along with the flame control.
It can be done using additional QD fittings, but you would want to make sure that the small propane bottle remains in a generally upright position. This is guaranteed by the Q100's/Q1000's design before the conversion is done. I have an easily carried 1 gallon propane cylinder and a regulator purchased at Lowes with a female QD so I can use my grill away from my campsite.