Propane Quick Connect Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,455
Propane Quick Connect Question

Just picked up a Weber Q1000 grill, changing it over to work with the trailers quick connect port. Removed the grills regulator and went to put on a male quick connect but found in my junk pile 2 different types of connectors. From poking around the internet a little they may be full and restricted flow although I can't find an end shot of either. Does anyone know which type I should be using?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quick connect (1024 x 576).jpg (88.7 KB, 76 views)
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 930
Hi Bob, I did the same for our Fire Bowl. The correct connection is the unrestricted one on the left. Works great!
__________________

__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,455
Thanks Steve.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
... went to put on a male quick connect but found in my junk pile 2 different types of connectors. From poking around the internet a little they may be full and restricted flow although I can't find an end shot of either. Does anyone know which type I should be using?
I agree with Steve. It's hard for me to imagine a sufficient rate of propane flow with the tiny orifice of the one on the right, especially with the nearly-zero pressure available in a low-pressure connection.

Certainly what I used has a through hole comparable to the one on the left.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thanks Steve.
__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Posts: 2,072
Connector

Hope you like your new Weber, we sure like ours. In the picture as in life, left is the way to go. IMHO
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
Posts: 52
Would the connect on the left work for all Weber BBQ's? I think we have the Weber Baby Q.
Thanks,
Larry & Judy
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Old Skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Posts: 368
Bob, does the Q 1000 fit in the front storage hatch? Our old Weber Go is showing its age. Thanks, Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Schnauzer
Fat bikes are FUN!
__________________
Scott and Lori
Aurora Borealis
2014 5.0 TA
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensworks View Post
Would the connect on the left work for all Weber BBQ's? I think we have the Weber Baby Q.
Thanks,
Larry & Judy
There are quite a few different Weber grills, and they can have quite different propane plumbing and controls. Even in the Q-series, there doesn't appear to be anything called a Baby Q (which was probably a portable Q 100 or maybe portable Q 1000); it looks like they changed models a couple of years ago and now all the Q grills have a model number of 1000 or more... with the higher models being the same grill with more accessories.

The challenge with converting any grill is determining where the pressure regulator and the flame control are located, and how they are connected, so you can remove the regulator, keep (or replace) the control, and make suitable plumbing connections. There are quite a few forum discussions about this.

The fittings Bob showed have a pipe thread - grills often have an SAE flare fitting rather than a pipe thread port, and what is left when the stock parts are removed determines what plumbing bits are needed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:45 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are quite a few different Weber grills, and they can have quite different propane plumbing and controls. Even in the Q-series, there doesn't appear to be anything called a Baby Q (which was probably a portable Q 100 or maybe portable Q 1000); it looks like they changed models a couple of years ago and now all the Q grills have a model number of 1000 or more... with the higher models being the same grill with more accessories.

The challenge with converting any grill is determining where the pressure regulator and the flame control are located, and how they are connected, so you can remove the regulator, keep (or replace) the control, and make suitable plumbing connections. There are quite a few forum discussions about this.

The fittings Bob showed have a pipe thread - grills often have an SAE flare fitting rather than a pipe thread port, and what is left when the stock parts are removed determines what plumbing bits are needed.
Thanks Brian~This was helpful & will check out the other discussions.
Larry
__________________

jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.