Re-thinking the RM8551 4.3 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Re-thinking the RM8551 4.3

From all I have read and heard this battered sad sack of a fridge sure got issues. I don’t think it’s a lemon but who can ignore them issues. Not insignificant is the big mystery behind why some owners have drastically differing versions of the same fridge! I mean like, why do some got the 4.3 with fans, others not, or other components found in back, or on top, that are different from other 4.3 owners. Some get an insulated trailer cavity, but others did not. My 4.3 warms up inside big time when it is 90° f plus outside after I do something foolish, like open its door for a cold one. That’s not nice for the price, is it? Isn’t it strange we get tropical weather here but cannot get the Dometic “T” version?

Therefore to satisfy curiosity about these things I submit pictures of my 4.3’s behind, and open this thread for others to submit their differing versions, if you got one. My serial number is 13700005, purchased 19 Sep 2013. Show us what you got!

PS: I pulled mine out to do some of the mods I have been reading about, and they are these:
  • · Built framing for that baffle Reace liked, then didn’t like. I liked Ron of BC’s design and did my modified version of it. A metal baffle is easier to install because of its flexibility. Logic told me it has to help.
  • · Insulated the be-Jesus out of the fridge cavity. (Ditto sentence 3 above.)
  • · Replaced the thermistor with a Snip-the-clip thermistor. (Why not?)
  • · Designed a plastic curtain acting as a barrior for escaping cold air. (Better than nothing.)
  • · Removed the freezer compartment. (I always bring an ice chest anyway.)
  • · Struggled with adding a manual switch for them two factory “Texas fans,” then rejected the idea. (If it ain’t broke, etc.)
I don’t want a new door, or to upgrade to the bigger two-door model. 4.3 is fine for me. Like I said, I do not think the thing is a lemon…not yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frigback2.jpg (109.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg batwire1.jpg (66.5 KB, 68 views)