RMD 8555 Two Door Fridge - performance stats - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #261

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... IMHO the switch to the Americana fridge was in conjunction with the new style slab sided trailer with a slightly wider RV door. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Yes, I was pretty sure that Reace was glad to get a refrigerator through the door that he couldn't before! Hi, Alf!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #262
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The Americana is tried and true in the North American market. The 8 series wasn't. As for performance, since the Americana equates to a climate class of "N" or normal, one could reasonably expect it to perform better than my "SN" rated RMD8555 when it gets hot out.

There are trade-offs no matter what. Me, I really like the look of the aircraft style door, the curved sides, and the hiding screen door. But, there's no doubt that the flat sides and flat wider door took away a huge thorn in Reace's side. I'm guessing that dealing with fridge hassles wasn't why he decided to build trailers.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #263

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is why I upgraded....
Old 05-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #264

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is why I upgraded....
I thought it was for the awning...and the windows...and...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #265

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
I thought it was for the awning...and the windows...and...
nope - empty LP tanks!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #266

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
And I thought he "downsized."
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #267

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Having voiced my concern over our fridge performance, I thought I should update this thread. After running and measuring the fridge/freezer temperatures for a couple of weeks, the performance of the freezer seemed to improve relative to the fridge. The foam didn't seem to make much difference when I installed it, but after a few more days the freezer temps were around -12 deg C. I'm thinking that maybe the cooling unit needed some time to get into equilibrium throughout it's fridge/freezer area. Last week we took it camping and could now use the same 4 setting as last year to get good temperatures in both fridge and freezer. Thanks especially to PADLIN (Bob) for performing his temperature monitoring. I found it very helpful to know what one can expect from ones fridge. Thanks for the feedback.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
The foam didn't seem to make much difference when I installed it, but after a few more days the freezer temps were around -12 deg C. I'm thinking that maybe the cooling unit needed some time to get into equilibrium throughout it's fridge/freezer area. Last week we took it camping and could now use the same 4 setting as last year to get good temperatures in both fridge and freezer.
Bob K
Bob,
We're finding on ours that the first day out it is the weakest(Still acceptable) and the fridge seems to get stronger as it runs. Maybe it's like the ol Volkswagen Beetles, the more they run the better they get. This has been consistent behavior since we got the trailer and we are able to turn the levels down a bit more each day out.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #269

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks Greg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #270

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Glad to hear that yours is doing fine now as I expect ours to continue to do well, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Having voiced my concern over our fridge performance, I thought I should update this thread. After running and measuring the fridge/freezer temperatures for a couple of weeks, the performance of the freezer seemed to improve relative to the fridge. The foam didn't seem to make much difference when I installed it, but after a few more days the freezer temps were around -12 deg C. I'm thinking that maybe the cooling unit needed some time to get into equilibrium throughout it's fridge/freezer area. Last week we took it camping and could now use the same 4 setting as last year to get good temperatures in both fridge and freezer. Thanks especially to PADLIN (Bob) for performing his temperature monitoring. I found it very helpful to know what one can expect from ones fridge. Thanks for the feedback.

Bob K
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #271
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
That's the first thing I did when I got my Escape and it helps keep the freezer at a lower temperature.

Cheers
Doug
Is this ensolite? Looks like maybe some layers laminated together. Wifey wants her ice cream firmer.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #272

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I did the same to mine, had a piece of styrofoam from a package and cut it to size.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #273

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Sangria Test

We have the RMD 8555 in our 21 and it has performed great for over a year now (13,500miles). We do not have an internal thermometer, as we have never needed one. We have kept the setting on 3 since pick-up and run the fridge on propane while under tow and boondocking, and on 120 when we have hook-ups.
The beer is always ice cold, but the ultimate test came this past week-end in Red Bluff, CA. On Sunday the temperature reached 101F and we were parked in full sun. We had attended a birthday party and returned to the trailer in the late afternoon. I was 'beer'd out' and Debbie offered one her famous Sangrias. The rock solid ice filled the tall glass and we found a cool spot under a shade tree. Life is good!
Many thanks Tammy and Reace, and to all those brave campers who endured the fridge problems of 2012-15, all the mods, and the eventual replacement to the RMD 8555. We couldn't be happier with our fridge performance. We hope for similar results for those with the new 'Americana'.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #274

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
If I didn't have a thermometer in my fridge, I wouldn't know it wasn't keeping the food cold enough, either. (Not worried about the beer; it's the meat and milk that are the object of my attention.)
Old 05-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #275
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We've had a similar experience with the RMD8555, Steve.

We do have a thermometer however, just for the purpose of verifying non frozen food safety. Set on 4 pretty much all the time, in both hot and cold weather, the fridge hasn't gone above 40.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #276

Same as Robert's and Steve's experience here.
I use the accurite thermometer and it has always stayed in safe range.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #277

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Same as Robert's and Steve's experience here.
I use the accurite thermometer and it has always stayed in safe range.
Since we weren't so lucky and got a replacement refrigerator , had to pull refrigerator and figure how to make it work ,on our own. It 's been working so far but when it doesn't will replace it , maybe with a ,truck frig . We have the 8551 , I think same as Myron 's. Hope you found your fix Myron . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #278

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
RMD 8555 went down to Ga.

Took the E-21 down to Ga. last weekend (10 hr. trip). After installing the range hood filters the on the air intake the frig. still would not run on gas on the road. I did find my fans and shunting the Tstat makes them run. The RMD 8555 has two smaller fans upper and lower which are very quiet. After arriving home I found an Aquastat that comes on at 115F. and turn off at 90F. now the fans operate as they should.
I worked on the gas issue today. I talked to an old RV guy he said I need to build a baffle/ wind deflector to keep the flame going I found just a puff of air under my burner would blow my flame out. I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of step flashing and made a baffle. After trial and error I secured the metal with HVAC duct tape. Now I can take a table fan and bow into the open air intake hole and the flame is steady.
I think the spray-in foam around the burner may explain why some people have gas burner issues OTR and others don't.
One person suggested just run on DC. I found the refer uses 15A while on D.C. I travel 10-16 hours a day sometimes and even with solar and dual 6's that's quite a draw.
Pictures to follow.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #279

Aqua Stat 115F On 90F Off

The issue with this aquastat is the connector blades are 1/4" and the trailer connectors are smaller so I had to trim off the side a bit on each blade. I still may have to wire a switch in line to turn it off in Fla. Fans come on after about 20 min of operation.
Attached Thumbnails
100_4401.JPG  
Old 05-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #280

Air deflector

If it ever stops raining I will take it on the road. Just taped it in place with HVAC duct tape. Also taped to base of cabinet. The flashing was about $1.00 at Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
100_4407.JPG   100_4412.JPG