Shower water from head only? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Shower water from head only?

Our stock shower head did not work in that it leaked and had to be kept in the sink. We bought another shower head so we can now have it up on the wall where it belongs. Seems the cut-off at the head of the stock one did not work.

If using the new one for a shower though, half of the water will go into the sink. Is the cut-off on the sink for the shower keeping all of your water going to the shower head? Our cut-off does not seem to work right. Hard to get it up or down and it doesn't really seem to have much of an up or down.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sounds like we had the same issue where if you shut off the water at the head of the original water kept gurgling out of it.

Tried a Camco replacement at first but ran into problems where if you shut off the water at the shower head the water came on full blast in the sink and the only way to get it to go back to the head was to turn off the water at the sink valve and start over.

Replaced it with an Oxygenetics last fall, works fine but it's a bit taller so it just fits in the original wall mount.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Sounds like we had the same issue where if you shut off the water at the head of the original water kept gurgling out of it...
The shut-off in a shower head is normally not a complete shut-off - some flow is intentionally continued so that you don't get a big surprise in water temperature when it is fully opened again. Details do vary by brand.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The shut-off in a shower head is normally not a complete shut-off - some flow is intentionally continued so that you don't get a big surprise in water temperature when it is fully opened again. Details do vary by brand.
I don't understand the surprise they are saving me from, how much can the water temp change in 1 or 2 minutes?

Being unable to stop the water flow wouldn't be a problem if one weren't so concerned with water conservation as we are when we have no hookups. Here you are trying to take a shower with 2 pints of water or some such, you shutoff the water while you soap up and the water just keeps on gurgling away. The replacements were much better in that regard.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I don't understand the surprise they are saving me from, how much can the water temp change in 1 or 2 minutes?
I get that. I can only assume that the risk is associated with longer periods, and I believe that the concern is scalding.

Quote:
Being unable to stop the water flow wouldn't be a problem if one weren't so concerned with water conservation as we are when we have no hookups. Here you are trying to take a shower with 2 pints of water or some such, you shutoff the water while you soap up and the water just keeps on gurgling away. The replacements were much better in that regard.
While these things are typically intended for water conservation, I think a more typical residence is the target, where the scale of consumption (including tolerable flow while shut down) is higher.

Really, I'm just saying don't be surprised that the shutoff is not complete, or assume that it is a faulty device.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
The original shower head is designed to have a small stream coming out even when it's shut off.

As far as the sink cutoff, no water should come out of the faucet when it's in the shower position. Sounds like your faucet is defective.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

I'd agree but swapping out the Camco head cleared the faucet issue.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The valve on the shower head may not be designed to shut off 100% of the water flow to prevent back pressure on the faucet. Some residential tub / shower valves state in the instructions not to use a shower head with a shut off for that reason.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
(snip) Really, I'm just saying don't be surprised that the shutoff is not complete, or assume that it is a faulty device.
I bought one for our shower that would let water trickle out on purpose. Drove me nuts and I didn't know it would do that (to me a shut off valve means it shuts off, not that it trickles down on me while I'm taking my shower). I now use an Ecocamel shower head that doesn't let any water trickle out when you turn it off with a valve on the head. Sometimes I'll notice a slight difference in water temperature, but it's never that much. I got one to put in the trailer as I quite like it. I also swapped it out with the one that was in the motorhome rental as it didn't have a shutoff valve and I hate wasting water when it's not always needed. (Of course it got swapped back before the rental got returned.)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
[QUOTE=Kountrykamper;134199

As far as the sink cutoff, no water should come out of the faucet when it's in the shower position. Sounds like your faucet is defective.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. I expect that all of the water would come out of the shower head, not half of it going out of the sink faucet. Thanks. Seems as if the up and down shut-off on the sink does not really work.

Our shower head valve is shutting off all of the water --- the old one did not. The old (stock) one had water running all over the floor because it would not shut off the water.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote