Solar Installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I would prefer roof mount but do not want to drill into the roof and I'm not sure about the flexible panels.
I installed four Lensun panels on my trailer and they are working fine. I didn't have to drill holes to mount them - I use EternaBond tape to mount them on the roof. To test this stuff, I put a small strip of the tape on a cleaned roof surface and then tried to get it back off. Trust me, this stuff is not coming loose without a LOT of effort.

The current technology ETFE fiberglass backed flexible solar panels have higher efficiency and strength than glass panels.

Since the panels are mounted flat on the roof, wind is not an issue. Weather damage is much an issue either - the panels are tough enough you can walk on them. Don't try that with your glass panels. The ETFE panels are texured so that they absorb light better than flat glass panels with less reflection.

Anyway, I chose the flexible panels for my trailer for all the above reasons.

Below are pics of Jim Bennett's and my trailer with flexible solar panel installs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00117-XL.jpg (75.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Escape 21 solar.jpg (274.8 KB, 39 views)

Old 01-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The current technology ETFE fiberglass backed flexible solar panels have higher efficiency and strength than glass panels.

I installed four Lensun panels on my trailer and they are working fine. I didn't have to drill holes to mount them - I use EternaBond tape to mount them on the roof. To test this stuff, I put a small strip of the tape on a cleaned roof surface and then tried to get it back off. Trust me, this stuff is not coming loose without a LOT of effort.

Below are pics of Jim Bennett's and my trailer with flexible solar panel installs.
Since the panels are mounted flat on the roof, wind is not an issue. Weather damage is much an issue either - the panels are tough enough you can walk on them. Don't try that with your glass panels. The ETFE panels are texured so that they absorb light better than flat glass panels with less reflection.

Anyway, I chose the flexible panels for my trailer for all the above reasons.
Still very happy with our 3 semi flexible fiberglass backed panels . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
You guys could have even adhered one on the A/C cover!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
You guys could have even adhered one on the A/C cover!
Looking at the pics - your right!

The nice thing about having multiple solar panels is that even when one gets shaded, the rest are still putting out full power.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Following yours and Jim's lead, I augmented my factory panel with a Lensun panel on my 2019 E19" last spring. It was an easy mod. (Edit: how does one rotate sideways photos on this forum?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3793.jpg (248.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Pxta7vEiSGeZbqW2Pzj%kg.jpg (14.7 KB, 189 views)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Following yours and Jim's lead, I augmented my factory panel with a Lensun panel on my 2019 E19" last spring. It was an easy mod. (Edit: how does one rotate sideways photos on this forum?)
I see you upgraded to a mppt charge controller as well. Are you planning to do the same with the 5.0TA?
Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Looking at the pics - your right!

The nice thing about having multiple solar panels is that even when one gets shaded, the rest are still putting out full power.
Tom: So when you have that many panels do you have a group of two panels in series that are then in parallel with the other group of two panels in series? Just trying to get my head around system voltage versus current. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Tom: So when you have that many panels do you have a group of two panels in series that are then in parallel with the other group of two panels in series? Just trying to get my head around system voltage versus current. Thanks.
The rule of thumb on hooking up multiple solar panels is - if all the panels are the same amp output (voltage doesn't matter), series - if the panels have the same voltage output but different amp outputs, parallel. In series, the panel amps have to match because the total current from the set will only be as great as the panel putting out the least amps - it will limit the rest of the panels.

Of course, this is assuming you have a MPPT charge controller - PWM has to be run parallel since it can't handle the higher voltages.

Since I have a matching Lensun 100w panel, I hooked all the panels in parallel as the 100w panel has the same voltage output but puts out twice the amps as the roof panels. It required me to run heavier gauge wire for the drops to make up for it. Also, if one panel in a series connect gets shaded, all the panels in that series drop out. Parallel, only one panel gets dropped.

Jim has a portable that he was able to convert to 36v making it possible for him to hook up his panels two in series then the two sets paralleled.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I see you upgraded to a mppt charge controller as well. Are you planning to do the same with the 5.0TA?
I'm going with the factory panel on the 5.0TA plus a Zamp port directly to the batteries. The factory 170 W panel is more than the 2013 vintage 60W plus the Lensun 60W on my E19" and so far that has been enough for our needs. I also have a 90W portable panel with a built in charger that I can plug into Zamp to follow the sun / place out of the shade if needed.

And no, I didn't upgrade to MPPT controller. I guess with the two 60W panels the factory controller worked fine. I have not had any issue with it.

I figure i can always add Lensun panels to the factory set up if our needs change. So far on the E19' my wife can cook a meal in the Insta-pot for supper and we have fully charged batteries the next day. (on both rigs I have the duel 6v batteries with a 1500 W inverter.)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I'm going with the factory panel on the 5.0TA plus a Zamp port directly to the batteries. The factory 170 W panel is more than the 2013 vintage 60W plus the Lensun 60W on my E19" and so far that has been enough for our needs. I also have a 90W portable panel with a built in charger that I can plug into Zamp to follow the sun / place out of the shade if needed.

And no, I didn't upgrade to MPPT controller. I guess with the two 60W panels the factory controller worked fine. I have not had any issue with it.

I figure i can always add Lensun panels to the factory set up if our needs change. So far on the E19' my wife can cook a meal in the Insta-pot for supper and we have fully charged batteries the next day. (on both rigs I have the duel 6v batteries with a 1500 W inverter.)
The reason I guessed that you had a MPPT controller is that your panels are hooked up in series and putting out up to 36 volts. The PWM controller that the Escape came with can only use up to 15 volts of that to charge the battery and the total panel amp output equals whatever the amps are for the weakest panel.

If you put branch connectors where the two panels connect on the roof, that would put your panels in parallel and you will get the full power of both panels. You would have the total panel voltage as much as 18 volts but the total panel amp output would be the amps of both panels added together.

https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Co...=renogy+branch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MC4 Branch connector.jpg (48.7 KB, 8 views)