Utilizing 2KW 120V inverter in truck bed while towing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Utilizing 2KW 120V inverter in truck bed while towing

Does anyone have experience with using the available truck bed AC power to power the camper while towing. I have a 2021 Ford F150 with a 2KW AC inverter outlet in the bed. I'm primarily interested in providing additional battery charging and running the fridge on AC while towing.

Charlie

Weight is the enemy... Keep it simple and keep it light !
chowlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't have experience with this, but it makes a lot of sense. The big challenge will be setting up a suitable connection - you certainly don't want the shore power cord strung down the side of the trailer on the road! However, the inlet is handled, a breakaway cord connection would be prudent; perhaps a Voltsafe block heater cord would work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't have experience with this, but it makes a lot of sense. The big challenge will be setting up a suitable connection - you certainly don't want the shore power cord strung down the side of the trailer on the road!
Would a transfer switch inside the trailer make sense that would have the shore power main as one input (priority) and suitable wiring from the truck as the second input with output to the WFCO power center main breaker?

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-3.../dp/B00153EYTO
Old 10-27-2021, 02:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Would a transfer switch inside the trailer make sense that would have the shore power main as one input (priority) and suitable wiring from the truck as the second input with output to the WFCO power center main breaker?

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-3.../dp/B00153EYTO
That seems perfectly appropriate to me. A manual switch would work, too, but automatic is more convenient.

A cascading set of transfer switches to handle multiple possible AC sources (such as shore power, generator, and inverter) is normal, and the truck is acting as an external generator.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That seems perfectly appropriate to me. A manual switch would work, too, but automatic is more convenient.

A cascading set of transfer switches to handle multiple possible AC sources (such as shore power, generator, and inverter) is normal, and the truck is acting as an external generator.
If the OP was interested in this as part of a solution this is how the GoPower transfer switch would be wired for shore power priority. Several of us have used or considered using these transfer switches and realized their diagrams are incorrect/misleading on the device versus the paperwork as far as which position is priority.
Attached Thumbnails
Go Power TS wiring.JPG  
Old 10-27-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If the OP was interested in this as part of a solution this is how the GoPower transfer switch would be wired for shore power priority. Several of us have used or considered using these transfer switches and realized their diagrams are incorrect/misleading on the device versus the paperwork as far as which position is priority.
After that discussion (Transfer switch priority), I think the problem is that the labelling of some transfer switches may be suitable for a generator installation in which the user want to use the generator whenever it is running (generator priority); that's different from an inverter installation in which the user wants to use the inverter as little as possible (shore power priority).

I might want the truck's power supply to be used as little as possible - meaning giving priority to shore power - because it would be easy to not realize that the truck's inverter is active.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Sunray 149 travel trailer
Thanks

The automatic transfer switch is exactly what I have been hoping to find.
I have a very similar situation, now just need to figure out how to connect my truck inverter to my travel trailer while driving so that my 2 way fridge (gas/120v) can run on ac while driving.
dbnh is offline   Reply With Quote