Water pump makes whine noise but no water - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Water pump makes whine noise but no water

We just arrived at camp, and the water pump is not pumping. It is making a whining noise so I think it is working. The water tank is full. I opened the drain valve and water came out, and the monitor panel shows all lights lit for the tank. I saw a prior post that suggested sucking on the sink to break a lock and I did that with the pump turned on but no luck. I removed the filter and found it was clean. Does anyone else have a suggestion what to try?

I recall this happening before when we switched from using city water to the pump and it just started working after a few hours but I hesitate to leave the pump whining away for hours.

I'll call ETI tomorrow when I can get to cell service. This campground in Mesa Verde NP has great wifi but no cell coverage.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Bill - sometimes those pumps just don't want to prime. Some of them can be damaged by running for long periods of time dry I'm not sure about the one you have. If it were mine, I would keep trying to turn the pump on for a short time and then off again, and keep trying and see if it eventually primes itself.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
It might be an air lock in the pump, turn the pump on, turn on the kitchen tap and suck on it. Once the air is drawn out of the pump it should start working. Kind of reminds you of siphoning gas without the after taste LOL.
This happened the odd time with my 19.

Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Now, I don't know about this, but if y'all are going to be sucking on the sink faucet we need some pics.

Might be the strainer at the pump is clogged. Pretty easy to unscrew the basket and clean it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We just arrived at camp, and the water pump is not pumping. It is making a whining noise so I think it is working. The water tank is full. I opened the drain valve and water came out, and the monitor panel shows all lights lit for the tank. I saw a prior post that suggested sucking on the sink to break a lock and I did that with the pump turned on but no luck. I removed the filter and found it was clean. Does anyone else have a suggestion what to try?

I recall this happening before when we switched from using city water to the pump and it just started working after a few hours but I hesitate to leave the pump whining away for hours.

I'll call ETI tomorrow when I can get to cell service. This campground in Mesa Verde NP has great wifi but no cell coverage.
Hi: bdornbush... If our pump would only turn water into whine... my wife would be thrilled!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Had a similar problem. The check valve in the pump head was jammed tight. I had to disassemble the head and push very hard to disengage the check valve. I talked to a Shurflo service rep at their office nearby. He gave me a new assembly and recommended installing an inline check valve (which I have not done yet).

Unfortunately, it took me a few days to get to the root of the problem and we were "showering" using a water container for a few days.

If desired, I can post a picture.
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:25 PM   #7

I checked the strainer at the pump and it was clean.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #8

It would be great if you could post a picture.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19

This is the valve that was stuck. It took quite some force to break loose. Even though I had a new head, the original seemed to function fine so I kept it as a spare.

(I stated "check valve" in my prior response, that is incorrect. It is the outlet valve. According to Shurflo, it is not a check valve.)
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I checked the strainer at the pump and it was clean.
Was the strainer at the pump wet? That will tell you if water is reaching the pump from the tank. If so, then you check the outlet side of the pump to see if water is passing through the pump head. If not Indian may have ur issue. If water is passing through the pump then move on down the line from there.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote