Water tank overflow - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
Water tank overflow

Has happened twice.

Started out with tank about 1/2 full. Hooked up hose to use campground water. After several days noticed water spilling out of the overflow valve near hose bibb. Looked and found tank was completely full.

Called Escape first time. They said: use water in the tank and pump for a while. It will drain tank a bit so it doesn't over flow and all will be well. They said: it happends. Some anomalie (weird thing) about the system. In effect, live with it.

We did.

Happened again this Spring.

What's going on here? Sounds like the fresh water system is filling the tank slowly but surely.

I can live with it, but it's annoying.

Anyone else have this problem? Find a solution?
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:37 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
I just spoke with the owner of a 19 who described the same issue. He said it was caused by a faulty water pump and that Escape was aware of the problem. He replaced the pump and the problem was solved.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
So, isn't there a check valve between the fresh water tank and pump?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The only check valve I know of is the one in the one that's built into the city water inlet. Makes sense though that there should be one on the output of the pump.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I put one of these in my Casita:

1/2" PVC Spring Check Valve - Threaded | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Whether it is a separate check valve or not, the water pump must block reverse flow to work. If it leaks back slightly, the effect will be slow filling of the tank.

These water pumps are multi-chamber diaphragm pumps driven by a cam on a shaft from the motor. I suppose it is possible that if the shaft stops at just the wrong point they may be more prone to allow backflow (thus it could be a sporadic anomaly), but since nearly every RV is plumbed the same as an Escape, all RV pumps should reliably block flow back to the tank.

Possible fixes are
  1. repair or replace the pump
  2. add a check valve between the pump and where it joins the line from the city water inlet
A check valve could be a quick fix if a replacement pump is not available, and can be included as a backup or complement to the pump, but I think that the proper solution is to make the pump work correctly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

This may not be the right model, but a diagram and description of Repair Parts For Shurflo 2088 Series Water Pumps shows a typical design; backflow should be stopped by the valve on each of three diaphragm sections, but it also has a separate check valve (item 2 in the diagram), probably to protect the rest of the pump from excessive city water pressure (suggesting that the pump manufacturer does not expect an external check valve to be installed). Again this might not be the right model, but I note that a repair kit for the check valve is available.

(This is not an authoritative information source or preferred supplier, just the first good diagram I found in a web search)
Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Never had this problem in any trailer and haven't seen it happen on the 19 as of yet. As Brian says above, the back flow is supposed to be prevented by the pump and if the tank is filling then the pump is defective. Warranty replacement or if out of warranty a new pump is in order. I wouldn't want to add a check valve as to me that would be band aid on a piece of equip that isn't functioning correctly.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

Brian,
It sounds to me like you know what you're talking about. And I thank you for taking the time to craft such a complete response..

Now, what to do? I'm disappointed that when I called Escape with what then was a six month old trailer that they didn't offer more specific advice, and frankly, offer to at least help fully diagnose and fix the problem.

Meanwhile I am not that good a mechanic to feel comfortable replacing a water pump or install/repair a check valve, and not confident in the few RV repair places around here. Probably will just live with the problem. (Sigh)

Thanks again
Old 03-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutterslo View Post
Meanwhile I am not that good a mechanic to feel comfortable replacing a water pump or install/repair a check valve, and not confident in the few RV repair places around here.
Although these pumps are only used in RVs, the plumbing isn't really special and any plumber - or any handy person who has done a bit of plumbing - shouldn't have trouble with it. If you're not comfortable with doing your own fix that's understandable, but it shouldn't be too tough to find someone suitable. Do you know any RV owners in your area who are handy with tools?
Old 03-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Now, what to do? I'm disappointed that when I called Escape with what then was a six month old trailer that they didn't offer more specific advice, and frankly, offer to at least help fully diagnose and fix the problem.
With any company it's often a matter of catching the right person.

In this case the trailer still isn't very old, and there is an established history with Escape: if it were me I would just call back, explain that I now understand the problem better, and ask for assistance with a solution.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Brian,
It sounds to me like you know what you're talking about. And I thank you for taking the time to craft such a complete response..

Meanwhile I am not that good a mechanic to feel comfortable replacing a water pump or install/repair a check valve, and not confident in the few RV repair places around here. Probably will just live with the problem. (Sigh)

Thanks again
Rutterslo , sorry you are having problems . Escape should be taking care of this , they did replace my 2 mo old pump . I had to change it out though . It is pretty easy just changing the wires that and unscrewing the inlet and outlet and putting it back . There are 4 square drive screws holding your pump under bed , you undo and then put back . The hardest part is laying on your side and working there . I have a 19 too and my pump was under bed on frig side at front . Rags to capture a little water that comes out when you unscrew hoses . That's it . I am not good with electrical but if I remove items just reverse and put it back . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Take pictures as you go, each step of the way.
That will help you put things back in the right place.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Take pictures as you go, each step of the way.
That will help you put things back in the right place.
Thanks Glenn I forget about pictures too . Pat
Old 03-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
With any company it's often a matter of catching the right person.

In this case the trailer still isn't very old, and there is an established history with Escape: if it were me I would just call back, explain that I now understand the problem better, and ask for assistance with a solution.
I'd be very surprised if Reace does not offer to replace the pump on this new of an Escape now that you have diagnosed the problem

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Mine did that once...
I turned off the city water and turned on the faucets to let out pressure. Then I turned on the water pump and let the water run for a couple of minutes. Never had it happen again. But whenever I'm "hooked up", I do check the tank level periodically.
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Has happened twice.

Started out with tank about 1/2 full. Hooked up hose to use campground water. After several days noticed water spilling out of the overflow valve near hose bibb. Looked and found tank was completely full.

Called Escape first time. They said: use water in the tank and pump for a while. It will drain tank a bit so it doesn't over flow and all will be well. They said: it happends. Some anomalie (weird thing) about the system. In effect, live with it.

We did.

Happened again this Spring.

What's going on here? Sounds like the fresh water system is filling the tank slowly but surely.

I can live with it, but it's annoying.

Anyone else have this problem? Find a solution?
Mine did the same last summer when I hooked up to "city" water for the first time. I emailed ETI and they gave me the choice of doing the replacement myself of having an RV dealer do it. All they asked of me was to send then the serial number of the defective pump.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Our 19 has developed this issue as well. Although I am not particularly mechanic minded, I think it would be very easy to install a replacement pump, providing that the replacement is the same make and model of the faulty one. (Now to figure out the make and model!)

Quick follow-up,
I just went through the paperwork provided when we purchased the trailer and found the make and model #. It is an Artis pump, Model PDS1RV2.5

So, I'll give ETI a call just to confirm this, then find a nearby source for a new pump.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:15 AM   #19

Seems like they are making a lot of junky pumps now . In 30 + years only changed first 2 RV's , one each in 12 years each . Escape trailer changed pump 2. Times already . Better carry a spare looks like a trend . Pat
Old 03-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #20

Just to let you all know that following what I thought was the gist of your advice, I called Escape. We determined that my pump was in fact one with which they had a problem, and will be sending me a new pump and helping with the cost of having someone more skilled and knowledgeable than I am install it. Thanks for all the great advice!

Tags
water system weirdness