All the way home - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape
All the way home

Wow, we made it! Seventy-two days on the road, fifty-seven of them enjoying living in our Escape.
The numbers:
72 days and 8,692 miles – 12 days and 3,016 miles from home to ETI, 60 days and 5,676 miles from ETI to home
Shortest day of towing – 33 miles
Longest day of towing – 364 miles (the last day of the trip, from Ocean Springs, MS to home)
Average site cost per night - $18
MPG while towing - averaged 35% less than non-towing miles

It's all behind us now.
Traveling-to-Pancho-Villa-S.jpg

At least on this journey, we avoided leaving something attached to the trailer as we pulled out of the campsite, forgetting to raise the step, or having an ‘oh crap’ event with the sewer hose while dumping the tanks. However, “past performance does not guarantee future success,” or something like that.

It’s hard to choose a particular area, or place we stayed, as a favorite; all were enjoyable, some more than others. Yep, even had to try the "pavement camping" a few times. Partly because we wanted to see what it was all about, and partly because we were just in an area for one night before moving on. No problems or safety concerns with the parking lot overnighters and will likely occasionally do so again.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was towing the Escape as I had no prior experience towing a trailer. Both of us were quite comfortable with towing in all kinds of road and traffic conditions. However, I can't say the same for backing into a site for either of us; eventually (hopefully) we'll become more skilled with that piece of trailer life. For this trip, pull-through sites were much appreciated when they were available.

Getting home Monday had its moments though. I all but got stuck in my very wet yard; didn't quite get where I planned to park, but it will have to do until it dries out. And then, turned on the water to the house and found a pipe had frozen and split during one of the record cold spells while we were gone. For a time, I thought we would be moving back into the trailer in our back yard! However, the leak was found and fixed the next morning. Replacing some Sheetrock and repainting is still ahead of us.

IMG_6970.jpg

What’s next? I’m looking forward to incorporating many of the great suggestions I have collected from the Forum, as well as coming up with some new ideas to make the Escape better fit our style of traveling and camping. Over the next few months there will be some Escapin' for shorter periods closer to home; this fall will find us on an extended trip through the Southeast region to revisit favorite places from previous trips as well as to find new places to make memories.

Photos from the last leg of our journey home can be found in the Galleries section at Cheryl's Digital Photography.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sounds like you guys had a great trip. I looked at a few photos, but will have to catch up later. They look great.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Talking Wow!

What a fabulous trip! Your Yellowstone pictures are amazing. Where did you stay when you were at Yellowstone? How did you trailer do in the cold? We have a September delivery on a 21' and are now considering picking up and I was wondering about places like Yellowstone in the fall. I am looking forward to sitting down and going through all your photos. Congratulations!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
What a fabulous trip! Your Yellowstone pictures are amazing. Where did you stay when you were at Yellowstone? How did you trailer do in the cold? We have a September delivery on a 21' and are now considering picking up and I was wondering about places like Yellowstone in the fall. I am looking forward to sitting down and going through all your photos. Congratulations!
We stopped at Yellowstone on the way to Chilliwack and stayed in a motel in Gardiner, MT, just outside the only open entrance to the park in the winter.

I too was worried about the cold as well as possible snowy mountain passes on the way back home. Consequently, I chose to more or less follow US 101 from Port Townsend, WA to San Luis Obispo, CA before turning east towards home. Low temperatures were generally no colder than the mid 30's and we had no problems. We only saw frost one night and that was near San Antonio in the last week of February.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #5

Trailer: not yet
Wow. What a trip! Nice photos. Thank you for sharing them. The buffalo in the the snow are so majestic.

Bet that trip was a whole lot more fun than waiting on a delivery truck.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Fifty-seven amazing days. Great post!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Those are nice photos, indeed. What is the antenna opposite the TV antenna on your Escape?

Mike L.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Nice photos!
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Those are nice photos, indeed. What is the antenna opposite the TV antenna on your Escape?

Mike L.
It's a Wilson external antenna for a Sleek 4G cell phone signal booster.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Don,
Tell us a bit more about your booster. Seems to get good reviews. Do you use for data? Where do you have it mounted. Do you use it in your tug, I used my droid maxx last trip as a hot spot. Seems like that would work well for internet with a boost. Would be nice to move up to tug when on the road. Thanks.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote