Keeping up with the mail - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Old 02-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
If actually on the road for many months regularly, there are mail services all over. They will forward mail, or scan it, or read it, depending upon what you pay.

Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #12
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Once we retired I tried to simplify everything as much as possible. All bills and notices that can be are emailed or texted prior to being automatically paid so we can check them. I was a quite surprised to find that text/email notification was an option for most statements. Other mail can be held, mostly junk anyway. Never thought about jury duty notification, good thing we don't have a courthouse in town.
Property tax can be prepaid. So far so good.

Doug & Eileen
2015 Escape 5.0TA
2015 GMC Sierra Crew 4X4 6.2 8 speed
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #13
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Like Doug, we have all bills, statements, etc emailed or setup for online login including the property taxes. We have a box at UPS store and if I need it I call them, give them an address to dump everything in an envelope and mail it to us. Usually do that once a month and get it in a day or two. Really don't get much of anything of importance in the mail anymore.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #14
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Some municipalities are switching to electronic service notices. I'd not worry about anything official in the mail, even with a certified letter is sent, which requires a signature. If you stop your mail with the post office, there would be a record of that to substantiate you were out of the state or country during that period. The USPS would hold any certified or register letter until you return, thus the issuing party would not get service receipt until you sign for it. Thus the issuer would know that your mail is being suspended until such date.
never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #15
Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Jim Bennett wrote....

"We have considered this option, and discussed it with my youngest daughter too, but it would be in about 20 years or so. Our daughter is a year or so away from having her first kid, and the problem arises when the kids get to be teenagers, and need the basement space for hosting their friends, and doing their own thing away from their parents. Who knows, maybe with a really huge home? "
We were able to purchase a home which had been built with us in mind. The suite was built for the older parents and the finishing/kitchen etc matched the top two levels. And it is a large house (although that is a subjective judgement). But LIz/I weren't willing to move into a suite built as a mortgage helper and our kids wouldn't have wanted us to anyway. our suite opens out to the back yard. So we aren't living underground. of course its big decision which involved wills, estates, boundary settings and similar issues. When teenagers come on the scene, I'm sure we will hear a few parties - if we still have our hearing.

and it is a decision which requires lots of thinking/talking. the original families project fell apart when the younger couple with two kids about 5 + 8 got divorced. We don't know what happened to all the pieces of that family grouping.

anyway, on to dealing with mail. Like others have posted its possible to simplify finances by going with automatic monthly balance payments, emails and online banking is a great innovation.

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Brian, that is what we did one summer when my in-laws were alive -- long before the internet. We rented our house out to some visiting faculty and hauled our kids across country for three and a half months in a tent. First day out my wallet got stolen along with my driver's license, and in those days you could actually get a new one over the phone but it was complicated and had to involve lots of back and forth with my poor mother-in-law and took weeks and weeks for me to get it sent to a friend in Kansas.

At the end of the trip there was a piece of mail that hadn't been forwarded waiting for us at the house -- my wallet with the license intact. It seems that someone found it and sent it via United Parcel Service and that of course wasn't forwarded.

But forwarding the mail to a family member still is a good idea.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Larry, we have experienced much of what you described with all of our parents, who are now gone. There is a book, "Can't we talk about something more pleasant?" by Roz Chast that describes her experience taking care of the logistics of her elderly parents' lives. It is written in cartoon form and had me shrieking with laughter on one page and weeping on the next because it is resembled my own experience so much.

I think the co-housing communities make a lot of sense for extended families. The seniors can live in the smaller units and the young ones can have their own larger dwellings, but since the homes are clustered on the shared land (nearly 200 acres) families are only a short walk away. There's even a common house for shared meals when the rest of the family comes to visit.

Check out Ecovillage at Ithaca | Website for Ecovillage at Ithaca and its educational non-profit Learn@EcovillageIthaca

Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote