Problems crossing the border, anyone? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When my hair was halfway down my back, and my head wrapped in a bandanna, I was always checked out at the border, especially into the US. Now, with no hair, they just wave me on in.

I did get some grief once, when crossing with our tent trailer when the kids were small. I was asked for their birth certificates, which we never even thought to bring. My response was that they were obviously our kids, to which the border guard pointed out that most child abductions were done by relatives of the kids. They did let us go on, but we did carry their birth certificates on subsequent trips.
Now I shall have to tell my two sons who are going bald that it's an advantage if crossing to the U.S., especially the eldest who goes over regularly just to get gas

Re guns - we are always asked when returning to Canada at our home town crossing after telling them we live there whether we have any firearms.

Adrian
__________________

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 5,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Now I shall have to tell my two sons who are going bald that it's an advantage if crossing to the U.S., especially the eldest who goes over regularly just to get gas

Re guns - we are always asked when returning to Canada at our home town crossing after telling them we live there whether we have any firearms.

Adrian
Hi: emers382... Last May we were asked at the border if we were leaving anything for anybody. I said "No". They asked if we had picked up any parcels for anyone. "No"... then proceeded to turn into Emerson and left you the whole trailer!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________

__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
sturski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jamestown, Colorado
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
So-- was anyone else asked if they keep guns at home?
Guns and fruit, every time. Nevermind the 125# Newfoundland going ballistic in the back of the truck because she's bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did get some grief once, when crossing with our tent trailer when the kids were small. I was asked for their birth certificates, which we never even thought to bring. My response was that they were obviously our kids, to which the border guard pointed out that most child abductions were done by relatives of the kids. They did let us go on, but we did carry their birth certificates on subsequent trips.
I had the same experience flying out of Calgary from a ski trip. I finally found my my daughters boarding passes. "I can't prove that they are mine; but I can prove that I brought them in" seemed to work.

Last trip, my Colorado plates provoked a question about pot. "No, I'm told you have plenty of your own in BC" seemed an acceptable answer.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
...
So-- was anyone else asked if they keep guns at home?
Yes, we were asked that specific question - one time out of 3 trips to ETI in early May, this year. We were always asked about bear spray which I did have at home in Colorado - having had a close encounter with a bear while on a solo hike.

I did have to dispose of my Washington State apple, so I ate it at the inspection area and tossed the core.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Posts: 160
The one & only time I've ever had a problem at the border, in 4 decades of visiting and camping to the US, was in Anacortes about twenty years ago. A group of us were headed to Seattle for the STP bike ride, and we took the Sidney-to-Anacortes ferry. On arrival at Anacortes, I made the mistake of leaving my vehicle to talk to my buddies in another vehicle in another queue, and before I knew what was happening I was facing down two border guards ordering me back into my vehicle AT GUNPOINT (actually, rifle-point). Scared the **** out of me -- hell of a way to learn that thou shalt not get out of thy vehicle at a border station unless specifically so directed by the guards.
__________________
Lotar & Wendy
"Sit loosely in the saddle of life" (Robert Louis Stevenson)
maurerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
The one & only time I've ever had a problem at the border, in 4 decades of visiting and camping to the US, was in Anacortes about twenty years ago. A group of us were headed to Seattle for the STP bike ride, and we took the Sidney-to-Anacortes ferry. On arrival at Anacortes, I made the mistake of leaving my vehicle to talk to my buddies in another vehicle in another queue, and before I knew what was happening I was facing down two border guards ordering me back into my vehicle AT GUNPOINT (actually, rifle-point). Scared the **** out of me -- hell of a way to learn that thou shalt not get out of thy vehicle at a border station unless specifically so directed by the guards.
If you are traveling with kids it's good idea to have potty break BEFORE you get in the line up. I can speak from experience, yes, once you are in the line, even though you have crossed the actual border you are not yet cleared to be in the country so must stay in your vehicle.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Posts: 55
Last spring we went through the Roosville crossing into Montana. The border guard asked where we were going. I answered that we hadn't yet decided whether we were going to Arizona or Oregon, and that it would depend on the weather. This was a BIG mistake. We were then asked to prove that we didn't intend to stay in the US indefinitely (how does one prove a negative?). After a lazy hour in the office we were allowed to proceed.

The moral of the story is to answer questions as simply as possible with as few words as possible. And always have a definite destination for them (even if you may change your mind later!).
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
The moral of the story is to answer questions as simply as possible with as few words as possible. And always have a definite destination for them (even if you may change your mind later!).
YES, I have learned my lesson, I may have told this before but crossing to church one morning I said we were going to church AND a pot luck lunch Well when I answered we had no food had a secondary with car search and was asked who packed the food (there was none as we planned to get something in the U.S.).

Speaking of food just another warning that it's best just not to have food, especially going into the U.S. It's not as bad coming back to Canada but don't bring any poultry products now.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
...
And always have a definite destination for them (even if you may change your mind later!).
I gave them a definite destination once - that I later regretted!

We were heading back to the US fairly late in the evening, hungry, and passing billboards for MacDonalds. By time I got to the border crossing food was the only thing on my mind. So, the usual question - "where are you going"? MacDonalds!
Response - "Joe, Sam, check these folks out, they're heading to MacDonalds!" It wasn't a pleasant half hour...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Sandra L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Antelope, California
Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Well there is finally an advantage to a name like "Vermilye!"
Mike, you have made me even more appreciative of my last name, which is usually mangled!
__________________

__________________
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.