Rand McNally gps for RVs - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't have a tablet, thus the use of my phone. What do you use for connectivity with your tablet when on the road, and without wifi? Or do you find wifi a lot. I know though available at lots of places now, it never seems to be where I am with my laptop.

No I haven't. Except for this past extended weekend in Vancouver, we don't eat out a lot, though I imagine we might once we start travelling more. I will have a look at Zomato, I have heard about it.
Jim McDonald's , Starbucks , many places . My I-pad also has phone free Magicjack , can even call Canada for free . I don't know if can still get I am grandfathered in . Also have portable GPS . Just don't want to pay for lot's of this stuff . Guess because I have lived in a time without any of this . Got to watch funds very careful now . Pat

Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
I have to admit that last time I tried this was with a old Iphone 5 but in Northern BC where we did not have a signal the maps would not load. So in remote areas a Garmin is still your best bet, where a cell signal is not available. Right?
Yes, that's my thinking. I routinely use my Android phone's Google Maps directions to find unfamiliar locations in the city (using only spoken instructions, not the display) because I have the phone with me anyway and it is is synched by Bluetooth anyway (no digging out the GPS), but I would not depend on the phone exclusively in a remote area.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:57 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
For kicks and giggles, on my way home from work, IPhone 6.

Turned of data, maps worked fine.

Turned off cell service, lost maps after 5 kilometers or so.

Since a lot of our trips have multiple days of no cell service I will continue to take our Nuvi with its bean bag dash mount. Cheers, Scott

Scott, Lori and BC bound Fritz
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:04 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I love maps made out of paper. They never go out of range.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Got lots of those too in color ! Pat
Old 03-04-2016, 01:09 AM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Old printed maps are cool, I get it. In fact my great grandpa was a cartographer and photographer. However, I just find digital maps so much easier to use when driving. Who wants to be disoriented with a gigantic folded map when your in the driver seat? Even if you don't have cell service, there are apps like topo and maps.me that will help guide you offline. I would definitely still carry a printed map if backpacking out in the boonies, but the solar chargers and battery packs for smart phones are also cheap.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:11 AM   #57

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
(snip) Forgot on my I-pad have a free grandfathered in magic jack which comes in handy calling Canada . But I think they have a 800 number now which is a free call too. Will look into something else for replacing Verizon . Pat
We have Magic Jack on our computer and I use it for most of my long distance calls as I hate using my cell phone for calls - hurts my hand to hold it for any length of time (tendonitis). At least with the phone we got for the Magic Jack I can tuck it under my shoulder if need be. Or shove a pillow between it and the shoulder to save the neck muscles. Cell phone is too small to do that with.

One big advantage to our old phones - you won't catch us playing games or checking email on 'em while out to dinner with others! Gawd, that drives me nuts. I recently told a young gal next to us to eat and put down her phone as she was screeching too loudly into her phone for us to enjoy our dinner. Yep, got yelled at and told to "shut up".
Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #58

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
And the Trip Tiks from AAA - love those and love turning over a page as my journey is progressing.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
We have Magic Jack on our computer and I use it for most of my long distance calls as I hate using my cell phone for calls - hurts my hand to hold it for any length of time (tendonitis). At least with the phone we got for the Magic Jack I can tuck it under my shoulder if need be. Or shove a pillow between it and the shoulder to save the neck muscles. Cell phone is too small to do that with.

One big advantage to our old phones - you won't catch us playing games or checking email on 'em while out to dinner with others! Gawd, that drives me nuts. I recently told a young gal next to us to eat and put down her phone as she was screeching too loudly into her phone for us to enjoy our dinner. Yep, got yelled at and told to "shut up".
Yep our pet peeve too . Our kids can't live without having the phone attached to their body somewhere . Constantly checking things on them when you try to have a conversation . Drivers too on the road on their phones not paying attention . Pat
Old 03-04-2016, 01:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Old printed maps are cool, I get it. In fact my great grandpa was a cartographer and photographer. However, I just find digital maps so much easier to use when driving. Who wants to be disoriented with a gigantic folded map when your in the driver seat? Even if you don't have cell service, there are apps like topo and maps.me that will help guide you offline. I would definitely still carry a printed map if backpacking out in the boonies, but the solar chargers and battery packs for smart phones are also cheap.
Some of those old maps are works of art . Pat