Travel After Chilliwack - No. 1 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Suggestion. Stay close to the factory the first night.
Or do like I did, and go camping with Reace and Tammy for a couple nights after pick up.

Nothing went wrong, but I did have to get Reace to show me where that little switch was to turn on the 120V to the water heater. :
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I last drove the Duffy Lake Road probably 30 years ago in a 2wd Datsun pickup. It was all gravel and switchbacks at that time. You had to go like stink into the corner in order to have enough momentum to get up the next hill.
We were heading for Bridge River and at one point the road became two tracks through the bush, but we made it, even without road signs and GPS.
I gather it's been paved and improved since then.
Tourism BC probably has info on this as a circle route.
Were you perhaps not on the Duffy Lake Road but on the High Line Road which is the one that takes you to Bridge River, Shalath and Seton Portage area from Vancouver? It goes north from D'Arcy along the west side of Anderson Lake. Follows the BCHydro transmission lines for some parts. It was probably a worse road than the Duffy Lake Road back then. It certainly is now. Even if there were a GPS (not invented yet for public road access) it would not have been much help as you were either on the road, going over the bank into Anderson Lake or climbing up the mountian side off the road!

I don't think you can get from the Duffy Lake Road to Bridge River by vehicle without going all the way to Lillooet and then going further north and west along the Carpenter Lake Road to get back south to Bridge River? Too many mountains in the way. Much shorter from Vancouver along the High Line Road, if you could have called it a road!!

Back sometime in the late 1970's I was coming back from Prince George with a co-worker and we decided to break the routine trip up and see some different country. Ditto on the GPS! We were barely beyond using slide rules! We turned off Hwy 97 at Clinton and headed for Vancouver via Pavilion, Carpenter Lake and Bridge River as an alternate route. The distance looked shorter on the road map than coming the Fraser Canyon which we had driven many times before. Well, we were in for a surprise. Fortunately we had a 4x4 truck as some of the road was only BCHydro right-of-way access roads. We never had to use 4 wheel but certainly appreciated having the higher clearance.

It was different and scenic but we were no longer sure about shorter in distance like we had hoped for. It took forever and when we finally got to Whistler very late at night we were almost out of gas. Pulled up to the gas station just after the owner's son had locked up and was diving away. This was before there was a Whistler Village with the amenities it has today. We pleaded for him to give us some gas. He agreed, if we paid cash. What option did we have. We finally got home to Vancouver about 8 hours later than had we stayed on Hwy 97 down the Fraser Canyon on paved roads. A loss time wise, experience wise - priceless.

30 plus years ago the Duffy Lake Road was probably a gravel logging road but was being upgraded and slowly becoming a paved road. It would not have been much fun to drive back then either. Today it is a very nice road to drive if you are not in a hurry although the pavement can a bit rough n sections. I believe it is also popular with motor cycle riders as a circle tour.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
JohnB wrote: The Duffy Lake route is a winding highway but who is in a hurry when camping and you are busy craning your neck to see the mountains?

If you plan on driving the Duffy Lake Road, best to leave the neck craning to the passengers <g>.

Doug
I guess I have just driven on way too many back roads and goat trails in the BC mountains over the years? I don't drive and crane like I once did! I used the term loosely as a descriptive term for the value of the mountain views.

But as Nutlatch said, leave the craning to the passengers and get out often to look around and smell the roses. Enjoy the view through the windshield and the rear view mirror as you check it frequently for what may be happening behind you.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have to correct myself. Was headed for Gold Bridge. And, got there.
Checking a map, it appears that the main road goes to Lilloette, and we didn't go through Lilloette on the way there. We did on the way back home.
Long time ago. That much I know.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Have to correct myself. Was headed for Gold Bridge. And, got there.
Checking a map, it appears that the main road goes to Lilloette, and we didn't go through Lilloette on the way there. We did on the way back home.
Long time ago. That much I know.
Gold Bridge was probably as bad or worse roads than trying to go to Bridge River? That would have been an incredible drive through the mountains to make especially doing the loop back through Lillooet. Not your average Sunday drive. One that you probably do not feel the need to do again though!

Much more fun now to take routes where you can tow your Escape Trailer behind you and stop to test the waters of the local lakes and streams with no deadlines to get back to the office!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, 2008 FJ Cruiser (it's like sitting in a prozac tablet)
I've driven the Duffy a number of times in the last few years on our way to Gun lake, Tyax lake and Marshall lake in the Chilcotins. I have no issues with the road, its very scenic and beautiful. Other drivers can be a challenge though, with many not observing any common sense on the road.

The Hurley Forest Road from Pemberton is another issue though, unpaved and rocky, I'd not recommend it, but will have no issues driving it myself, slowly, and using my gearbox to control speed. AS we plan on taking the Escape into the Chilcotins as our mobile cabin, its going to be a case of driving slowly and carefully over some interesting roads. Scenery is amazing, and I really recommend the Tyax camp grounds... There are a few other free camping sites in the area, most have no services other than a long drop.

Well, all depends on your driving I guess, but as I plan to take the Escape into the Chilcotins, the Duffey road has no real issues. I might well live to eat my words, I'll let you know how our trips turn out later this year!

David
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #27

I'll get there eventually.
It must have been the Hurley Forest Road that we took to Gold Bridge from Pemberton.
Best not confuse the two.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #28

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Rather than start a new thread, I decided to add on here because this is the source of my planning info.

September 7 is approaching. Having cut our teeth in our 1987 Bigfoot 5er "starter trailer", My wife, Ginny, and I are very excited that we'll soon see our brand spanking new 5.0 TA.

Ginny is not retired and I want to maximize her enjoyment of first two weeks of Escape Life. I made a tentative travel plan to sample BC's exceptional sights. I realize the loop from Hope to Lilloet to Whistler and then to Porteau Cove is a challenging drive. I have an F150; being "over trucked" as someone put it, we'll have plenty of power and control. We'll drive carefully, stop regularly to smell the pines, and won't go far each day. We're not noobies, so I think should be able to manage this route without undue trauma.

This is very detailed plan! It helps me get comfortable with the route and be confident that I can readily navigate it in bite size chunks. I won't make reservations - they're not needed in September and we don't want to be tied down. Having said that, I probably will make reservations at the start (Bridal Falls), maybe on weekends, and probably for ferries.

W-Sept 6: Depart Dear Sister's house near Portland, pick up Ginny at the SeaTac, drive to Chilliwack. Try to get some sleep before the big day.
Th-Sept 7: Orientation at 8 AM, delivery in Sumas around noon. We'll head back 30 miles into BC to Bridal Falls Camperland (full hookup)
F-Sept 8: second day at Bridal Falls Camperland - settling into the trailer
Sa-Sept 9: Contingency: if there is a major issue with the trailer we can stay until Monday and visit ETI. I expect no issues or at worst minor adjustments, therefore we plan to drive 60 miles down CA 1, to the Canyon Alpine RV Park (full hookup).
Su-Sept 10: 60-mile drive CA 1 to BC 12 ending at Willows Campground near Lilloet (full hookup)
M-Sept 11: 62 miles (BC 12 & CA 99) to Mt Currie and then 30 miles (2.5 hours!!) to Birkenhead Lake PP (dry camping).
Tu-Sept 12: second day at Birkenhead Lake PP - kayaking and chilling
W-Sept 13: 30 miles/2.5 hours back to Mt Currie, then 73 miles through Whistler to Porteau Cove PP (elec & water)
Th-Sept 14: Contingency day in Porteau Cove PP. If absolutely needed, I can leave early for adjustments in Chilliwack and return to Porteau Cove.
F-Sept 15: 15 miles to Horseshoe Bay, take the ferry to Departure Bay and then to 20 miles Rathtrever Beach PP (dry camping)
Sa-Sept 16: 68 miles to Bamberton PP (dry camping)
Su-Sept 17: second day at Bamberton PP - see a bit of Victoria
M-Sept 18: 43 miles to French Beach PP (dry camping)
Tu-Sept 19: 37 miles to Victoria, take the ferry to Port Angeles, WA, 15 miles to Dungeness Rec Area (dry camping)
W-Sept 20: 40 miles to Fort Worden SP (full hookup)
Th-Sept 21: second day at Fort Worden SP - see Port Townsend
F-Sept 22: 100 miles to Seattle Airport to drop Ginny around noon. Contingency: if needed, I'll head north so I be at ETI on Monday for adjustments. Assuming no trailer issues, I'll head south, 112 miles to Seaquest SP (elec & water)
Sa-Sept 23: 71 miles to DS's house near Portland

If possible, I'd like to take DS on a road trip so she can experience Escape Life. I envision a five-day drive down the Oregon coast, staying at a different State Park each night (Nehelem Bay, Devil's Lake, Beachside State Rec Area, Cape Blanco).

And finally, if my schedule permits, I hope to attend the Oregon Fall NOG before leaving the north wet.

Any suggestions on improvements?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I realize the loop from Hope to Lilloet to Whistler and then to Porteau Cove is a challenging drive. I have an F150; being "over trucked" as someone put it, we'll have plenty of power and control. ?
Nice itinerary. A couple of things. I think that the difficulty of the Duffy Lake road is a little overstated. For us, that's a one night stop circuit. For motorcycles, it's a nice one day loop.

It depends on whether you've ever been to Vancouver. I'm surprised by the number of folks from distant places that come from so far and are so near but don't seem to include at least one day visiting Vancouver. I'd recommend two nights, not the second night being contingency based, at Porteau Cove and visiting North Vancouver and Vancouver.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #30

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the feedback. I had to google Duffy Lake Road to see that it was Hwy 99. A one-day loop huh? I don't think that would get any points from DW!

Actually, we have been to Vancouver. It's been many years, but we loved it. Good idea about revisiting. I'll see what Ginny wants to do. She wanted a balance of scenery and city visits and this route is light on the city side. I'll bet she'll agree with you on Vancouver.

One problem, I checked and there are only a handful of RV parks in Vancouver. As you might expect, all are expensive! Hmmm! There are a couple Boondockers Welcome folks that might work. I'll have to check.

Thanks, Ron!

Rich
Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Hi Ron,

I had to google Duffy Lake Road to see that it was Hwy 99. A one-day loop huh? I don't think that would get any points from DW!

One problem, I checked and there are only a handful of RV parks in Vancouver.

Rich
It's mostly crotch rockets that do that and sometimes with not good results. But I've driven a lot of roads and that route pales in difficulty to many other roads. From our experience the trailer brakes seem to be able to more than hold their own on long steep descents and modern cars, with 4 wheel disk brakes, don't seem to suffer the type of smoking brakes of yesteryear.

If you do decide on a Vancouver stop we can provide a driveway for overnight parking that's only minutes from the bridge to Vancouver but in a forested area on the North Shore.

You can PM me when you decide and it's closer to the date.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #32

Can't beat that. Costs $21 just to use the sani-dump at Capilano RV park under the Lions Gate Bridge, if you aren't staying there.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Can't beat that. Costs $21 just to use the sani-dump at Capilano RV park under the Lions Gate Bridge, if you aren't staying there.

Glenn,
I never pay to dump; I just hold it. OK, OK, I do pay in Quartzsite because I can only hold it so long.
Rich
Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If you do decide on a Vancouver stop we can provide a driveway for overnight parking that's only minutes from the bridge to Vancouver but in a forested area on the North Shore.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I'll keep this in mind.
Rich
Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm surprised by the number of folks from distant places that come from so far and are so near but don't seem to include at least one day visiting Vancouver. I'd recommend two nights, not the second night being contingency based, at Porteau Cove and visiting North Vancouver and Vancouver.
Ron,

We're following your advice and are making Vancouver a "must do". I eliminated Birkenhead Lake (and five hours of slow driving), cut the second night at Porteau Cove, and tightened up some of the other stops. This gives us two days in Vancouver. I was going to stay at Derby Reach RP, but its distance would make it harder to explore Vancouver. We'll just bite the bullet and stay at Capilano RV Park. It costs more, but it's in a great location.

Travel Plan 2.0
  • Th-Sept 7: Orientation at 8 AM, delivery in Sumas around noon. We'll head back 30 miles into BC to Bridal Falls Camperland (full hookup)
  • F-Sept 8: second day at Bridal Falls Camperland - settling into the trailer
  • Sa-Sept 9: 60-mile drive down CA 1, to the Canyon Alpine RV Park (full hookup).
  • Su-Sept 10: 60-mile drive CA 1 to BC 12 ending at Willows Campground near Lilloet (full hookup)
  • M-Sept 11: 117 miles (BC 12 & CA 99) to Alice Lake PP (elec), with a stop in Whistler for sightseeing
  • Tu-Sept 12: Early start; fill water, dump waste, drive 42 miles to Capilano RV Park (dry camping) – sightseeing in Vancouver.
    Contingency: if needed, we can drive 105 miles from Alice Lake to Chilliwack, get any needed adjustments and drive 65 miles back to Capilano RV Park
  • W-Sept 13: Capilano RV Park – sightseeing in Vancouver
  • Th-Sept 14: late departure (sightseeing in North Vancouver), 28 miles to Porteau Cove PP (elec)
  • F-Sept 15: 16 miles to Horseshoe Bay, ferry to Departure Bay and then 20 miles to Rathtrever Beach PP (dry camping)
  • Sa-Sept 16: 68 miles to Bamberton PP (dry camping) – sightseeing in Victoria
  • Su-Sept 17: second day at Bamberton PP – sightseeing in Victoria
  • M-Sept 18: 43 miles to French Beach PP (dry camping). Alternative: if we want more time in Victoria, we can stay another night at Bamberton and skip French Beach
  • Tu-Sept 19: 37 miles to Victoria, take the ferry to Port Angeles, WA, 15 miles to Dungeness Rec Area (dry camping)
  • W-Sept 20: 40 miles to Fort Worden SP (full hookup)
  • Th-Sept 21: second day at Fort Worden SP - see Port Townsend
  • F-Sept 22: 100 miles to Seattle Airport to drop Ginny around noon, then head south, 112 miles to Seaquest SP (elec & water)
    Contingency: If trailer adjustments are needed, we'll leave Fort Worden very early. I'll drop Ginny and head to Chilliwack for a quick tune up