Wind Cave National Park - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Wind Cave National Park

We finally mapped out our trip for next summer on the way to the Grand Tetons for the solar eclipse. We're planning on stopping in Wind Cave National Park. Does anyone have advice?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ruthe, we loved it there. The cave is amazingly long in many directions and only part is even mapped yet. The campground was quiet when we were there - very sunny, so it can get pretty hot. We took some very nice hikes in the area, saw lots of wild life. We got to see nighthawk males doing their mating flights. We only realized what was after tracking down the strange booms we kept hearing. Custer SP is on it boarder and was very crowded.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

How long did you stay? And did you take any side trips?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We finally mapped out our trip for next summer on the way to the Grand Tetons for the solar eclipse. We're planning on stopping in Wind Cave National Park. Does anyone have advice?
There is also Jewel Cave near by (30 miles) and worth a visit. One of the longest caves in the world. Some photos from both here.

If it isn't already part of your plans, 133 miles to the northwest is Devils Tower. Some photos:
Old 01-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #5

Thanks Eric and Jon, We have a fair amount of time and I'm thinking about staying in Wind Cave for 10 days and really exploring. We've been to Devil's Tower -- I don't think we're going to go this time, but we might re-visit Medicine Wheel on our way back. I'm just wondering whether there's enough to keep us busy in the Wind Cave area -- also how hot it will bee during July.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ruthe we were only there about 3-4 nights.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote