I haven’t posted in some time, but since we’ve now put the down payment on a new 21
and I’m working on our build sheet, it’s time to ask some questions. (Yes, our lovely 19 will be up for sale soon, but we have camping plans through Thanksgiving. If you’re interested and willing to wait, please let me know and I will be happy to send the list of options and pictures.)
I’ve searched the forum and if I’ve missed a thread that answers these questions, I hope you’ll be kind enough to direct me to it, otherwise I know this is a great group who will be happy to answer my questions.
1. Regarding the aluminum rims: we live at the ocean and the salt air is hard on everything. The standard painted rims on our 19 have a little rust on them, and we’re considering the aluminum rims. Does anyone have the aluminum rims and live by the ocean – how do the rims look after a few years in the salty air?
2. We’ve never had to winterize our trailer, but are planning ahead for if we move and/or camp in winter weather. Does the winterizing t-valve make it a lot easier to winterize the trailer?
3. Fabric: we’re leaning towards an indoor/outdoor fabric. Does anyone have indoor/outdoor fabric and wish they’d used an indoor upholstery fabric? Does anyone have indoor upholstery fabric and wish they’d gone with indoor/outdoor fabric?
4. Surge protector: Overwhelmingly the vast majority of our time is spent dry camping, but it seems that the surge protector is one of those items you will wish you’d had should you have a problem. Has anyone ever had a problem with a campground/rv resort’s electricity?
5. Spray foam – has anyone owned Escape trailers with and without the spray foam? How much of a difference does it make on the interior temperature? Are there any other benefits? Would you recommend it?
I know some folks like to see what others are ordering so here’s our must have
list at this point:
Extra insulation and thermal windows (would someone confirm - all windows open except the rear window?)
Dual 6v batteries
LED captain’s lights (x4 – one in each corner for reading)
Removable power cord
Storage cubbies outside bathroom
Outside storage box
Filler piece to make u-shaped dinette into more of a sofa
Custom fabric and formica
Extra 12v outlet
And the maybe
Stainless steel stove
Stainless steel sink/faucet
TV ready / TV antenna / Jack antenna with wall mount TV arm
Spray foam underneath
Thanks everyone! We are quite excited about this and believe it or not, aren’t doing it for the extra space, but for the layout - it is exactly what we want. We were going to wait until I retire to get the 21, but the exchange rate made us reconsider that and since we get so much pleasure from camping and go frequently, why wait?
Have a lovely weekend! Jane