Awning & window changes - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #181

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Makes you wonder what they are smoking on the west coast.
Mary Jane is legal out here. You don't even have to wonder any more...
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #182

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Are you sure about the rear window in a 21 being single pane? I know ours is double pane or thermal picture window. I know if you get the front window then like all models it is single pane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since Perryb67 is not an owner speaking from experience, he may have misheard the correct information.
Could have swore I stated that in post 172.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #183

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaOstby View Post
Mary Jane is legal out here. You don't even have to wonder any more...
It may be legal in certain states, but its still illegal federally. The trouble is that the border is staffed by federal staff, who often ask a question if you have ever consumed the aforementioned substance, and may and often exclude Canadians who answer yes.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #184

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Could have swore I stated that in post 172.

Enjoy,

Perry
I was merely trying to stop the speculation that a misstatement causes.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #185
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
Bottom line, based on my experience, I would not hesitate to order an Escape with the power awning and frameless thermal windows. Either way, the Escape is a great RV.
I agree with that Scott. The owners of the frameless windows and power awning that I've spoken to all seem to share that opinion as well. I still think it was a QC issue and perhaps a spike in warranty calls that caused Escape to change back.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #186

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Wish I knew about the awning... we just picked up our 19... gorgeous, but now concerned about the awning... have not yet opened it once so hesitant to do so... keeping fingers crossed that all will work out ok... Also, we did not get the frameless windows... just sliders... they work great... glad we did not go for the frameless ones...
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #187

I called Escape today and asked the rear window question again. The rear is fixed AND double pane, but I questioned yesterday about single pane and was told single pane. Different story today. Sorry for my mistake posting. I'll be talking to Rease or Tammy for answers from now on.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #188

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
I am new to the forum and the Escape Trailer world, having recently placed an order for a 19' to be delivered in November. I am so glad I read this thread about the awning and windows. I am a big fan of awnings and had the Carefree on a previous Nash trailer and it was bullet proof. I was worried about the strength of the Dometic hanging out in space like that. I asked them to send me a photo of he implementation. Needless to say, today I revised my order and changed to the Carefree awning and framed double pane windows (vs frameless). no questions. What a great company.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #189

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
I called Escape today and asked the rear window question again. The rear is fixed AND double pane, but I questioned yesterday about single pane and was told single pane. Different story today. Sorry for my mistake posting. I'll be talking to Rease or Tammy for answers from now on.

Enjoy,

Perry
So actually without ordering the Thermal Package all windows would be single pane.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #190

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
As much as I don't like to post things I've heard 'through the grapevine', a little bird told me that ETI is in talks with Carefree about their screen room and is hoping to be able to offer one for the manual awning by the Fall. For us, that's just one more reason we're glad we changed to the manual awning as you've probably guessed by now, we LOVED the screen room on our 19'.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 PM   #191

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Heck if I know, I'm sort of in limbo, my 19 is gone this week, I have a 2019 on order with the frameless windows and power awning, supposed to be completed in December and sit until the rally in May, now I'm not sure what to do. HELP.....
Jim, the new awning sure is convenient and looks nice, but I think they are too fragile. we had problems with it out during a long drizzle it pooled in the front and bent the arm. Had to get a new awning. Also a problem is that you can not see if anything has fallen on the awning, such as a small twig, before you roll it back in. Ask me how I know and what kind of damage a small twig can make.

Now that we have a our awning replaced, I am almost afraid to use it. And I have to stand on top of a picnic table so that I can see if anything fell on it while it was out.
My husband would definitely order the old one. Oh yeah and they are just more stable.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #192

I'm committed to the power awning, with proper and judicious use it will be fine. There is a sweep on the case that clears debris while retracting. Use it and enjoy it....
As far as windows, double/single pane, I'd not speculate as to what someone, other than your sales person says. The website says framed thermal, the frameless are thermal, that is a fact. Anything else would need to be clarified.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #193

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Jim, the new awning sure is convenient and looks nice, but I think they are too fragile. we had problems with it out during a long drizzle it pooled in the front and bent the arm. Had to get a new awning. Also a problem is that you can not see if anything has fallen on the awning, such as a small twig, before you roll it back in. Ask me how I know and what kind of damage a small twig can make.

Now that we have a our awning replaced, I am almost afraid to use it. And I have to stand on top of a picnic table so that I can see if anything fell on it while it was out.
My husband would definitely order the old one. Oh yeah and they are just more stable.
My brother's awning filled with water when left unattended in a rainstorm at the rally, and was down to the picnic table. It bent a pin on the arm holding it to the trailer. I did some RV mechanic work, replaced the pin, adjusted everything and it looks to be just fine. No evidence of arm bending. These things are way tougher than given credit for.

If you bent an arm, why replace the whole thing? I just pulled the motor and removed the arm to get the bent pin out. You could quite easily swap out an arm. If it is on the left side you don't even have to pull the motor.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #194

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Wish I knew about the awning... we just picked up our 19... gorgeous, but now concerned about the awning... have not yet opened it once so hesitant to do so... keeping fingers crossed that all will work out ok... Also, we did not get the frameless windows... just sliders... they work great... glad we did not go for the frameless ones...

I’d argue to not be hesitant about the awning, but conversely, use it a lot. That way two things will happen. One, you will develop comfort and confidence in its use, and two, in the unlikely event that there is anything flawed with your awning, you will figure that out sooner and ETI will take care of you and sort it out now while your warranty is all fresh and sparkly.

Fear not. They are very nice awnings and sooo much faster and easier to use! Just keep it at about 1/3 deployed if it’s precipitating and all will be well [emoji106]
Old 07-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I’d argue to not be hesitant about the awning, but conversely, use it a lot. That way two things will happen. One, you will develop comfort and confidence in its use, and two, in the unlikely event that there is anything flawed with your awning, you will figure that out sooner and ETI will take care of you and sort it out now while your warranty is all fresh and sparkly.

Fear not. They are very nice awnings and sooo much faster and easier to use! Just keep it at about 1/3 deployed if it’s precipitating and all will be well [emoji106]
Good advice.

In heavy rain I keep mine up to 1/2 way out and it does not seem to pool. At night though I take it in closer to 1/3.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #196

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good advice.

In heavy rain I keep mine up to 1/2 way out and it does not seem to pool. At night though I take it in closer to 1/3.
Jim - are you leaving it at the 1/3 setting overnight and how closely are you monitoring the weather when doing that?
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Jim - are you leaving it at the 1/3 setting overnight and how closely are you monitoring the weather when doing that?
I always have it out that far at night. No need to monitor as it sheds rain water fine, and if it gets windy the sensor will bring it in.

Seriously, these are great awning in their own right. Sure they have a couple drawbacks, but they also have even more positives.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #198

Quote:
As far as windows, double/single pane, I'd not speculate as to what someone, other than your sales person says. The website says framed thermal, the frameless are thermal, that is a fact. Anything else would need to be clarified.
I would agree with you except for two things. On Monday the Escape "sales person" said if we chose framed windows the large rear window would be single pane. I immediately asked why the largest window in the camper was single pane and she said again only single pane. I called yesterday and the "sales person" said double pane, so something happened here.

I have been told twice the bathroom framed window is single pane, as well as the front window, so not every window is double pane or at least what I have been told by the salesperson is those two are single pane.

I do plan on clarifying everything again with Tammy or Rease from now on.

Like all forums, what what intends to write is not what another reads, and sometimes what is meant to be a joke is take too seriously.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #199

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I always have it out that far at night. No need to monitor as it sheds rain water fine, and if it gets windy the sensor will bring it in.

Seriously, these are great awning in their own right. Sure they have a couple drawbacks, but they also have even more positives.

We do exactly the same. I leave the awning out pretty much all the time. Even when “in storage” at home, i put it out only about 6 inches past a fully opened door. And that is here in the Pacific Northwet. Sheds water great, yet still have a dry space next to the trailer for ingress and egress.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #200

Quote:
I would agree with you except for two things. On Monday the Escape "sales person" said if we chose framed windows the large rear window would be single pane. I immediately asked why the largest window in the camper was single pane and she said again only single pane. I called yesterday and the "sales person" said double pane, so something happened here.

I have been told twice the bathroom framed window is single pane, as well as the front window, so not every window is double pane or at least what I have been told by the salesperson is they are single pane.

I do plan on clarifying everything again with Tammy or Rease from now on.

Enjoy,

Perry
Let's not confuse the standard vs optional windows, yes the optional front window on a 21 is not thermal (neither is it on the 19 where it is standard) but it comes with a rock guard cover which enables you to insert some reflection in the winter for thermal effect) Their website states that the front window is not thermal (thus single paned) on both the 19 and the 21 models. I believe the optional slider bath window is not thermal also, if my memory is correct from my 2014 E21 with the framed thermal package. The 2ndG door window is thermal, standard.