Benefits of upgrading from 19' to 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 19' Escape- 2016 -(NEW 2017 model) SOLD
Benefits of upgrading from 19' to 21'

Hello fellow Escapees,
This is a question for those of you who owned a 19' and then moved up to a 21'. What were the benefits to you, as well as any drawbacks? For instance, and personally speaking, the bed height and slightly larger bathroom would be of benefit to me. What did you find or experience?
Are there drawbacks to maneuvering the 21? Less larger camping spaces available for this size? Difficulties in towing it with a V6 crossover?

Did your build sheet essentially stay the same? Or did you find changes necessary? Speaking of both additions or deletions from your 19 to the 21?

Thank you! I apologize in advance if this already has been addressed. If so, please direct me to the proper thread discussion.

Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The bed in a 21 is smaller at only 54 inches wide...the 19 is 60 inches wide. Was real easy for us to make up our mind based on this alone. Also the reason we never considered a Big Foot...all of their beds are narrow.

Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
When I went from a 19 to a 21 there were several changes. First off the price remained the same for the first 10 customers, so $$$$ was not an issue. I got an oven and 4 extra 12v locations plus 2 tv locations plus the new antenna set up. I also opted for the "u" dinette, otherwise the same options I had on the 19. I changed the trim from white to brown, made a world of difference.
After 2 years, we decided these upgrades were not needed plus the frameless windows and new awnings were being installed, so we decided to go back to the 19, we no longer needed mirror extensions and got our queen rear bed back. the "U" dinette was too small we went with the standard front larger table, skipped the oven, never used, and antenna, never did use ota tv but mainly cable. I installed the identical electric heater in all 3 Escapes. We went with the black trim.
If I had to do it again I'd get that optional wood grain floor...
Old 12-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 F-150 FX4 Coyote V8 ( 2018 Escape 21 in June! )
The main reason we're getting the 21 ( from a 17' Casita ) is the north/south orientation of the bed. If you have a spouse that needs to get up in the middle of the night, crawling over each other isn't the most pleasant thing to do. The bed in the 21 should allow me to enjoy my slumber while the wife does her thing. Eventually, I will join her in her midnight excursions...I suppose.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 19' Escape- 2016 -(NEW 2017 model) SOLD
Hi CPA- interesting comments and great insight. You've had many experiences with the different trailers, so I really value your opinion. We debated about the oven. Never really needed it or wanted to cook inside. Besides, it would prompt DH to grill more outside and let me rest and put my feet up!

Thiggins, that's exactly what's going to make this 21 footer more accessible for me. The bed is more open, with no more crawling over each other at tonight. But also, it's slightly lower in height. For a tiny person like me, this makes it easier to sit upon as well. I don't think the width being slightly smaller is going to bother us too much.

The slightly larger bathroom is a plus for me as well. I think these things counter some of the negatives, like the 21 being slightly larger for certain camping spaces or using the mirrors. I use the mirrors anyway with the 19

So there's not much difference then other than what was mentioned above I just wanted to make sure. Thanks so much everyone! You guys are great and helpful as usual.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Hi CPA- interesting comments and great insight. You've had many experiences with the different trailers, so I really value your opinion. We debated about the oven. Never really needed it or wanted to cook inside. Besides, it would prompt DH to grill more outside and let me rest and put my feet up!

Thiggins, that's exactly what's going to make this 21 footer more accessible for me. The bed is more open, with no more crawling over each other at tonight. But also, it's slightly lower in height. For a tiny person like me, this makes it easier to sit upon as well. I don't think the width being slightly smaller is going to bother us too much.

The slightly larger bathroom is a plus for me as well. I think these things counter some of the negatives, like the 21 being slightly larger for certain camping spaces or using the mirrors. I use the mirrors anyway with the 19

So there's not much difference then other than what was mentioned above I just wanted to make sure. Thanks so much everyone! You guys are great and helpful as usual.
My original plan was for a reversed 19 (48" bed in front) since I travel single. The problem is I wanted an oven (I bake) I wanted a built in microwave for quick meals (with the 17 I stored it under the bed and it was a pain to get out every time I wanted to use it) and I wanted both a bed & 4 person dinette always available, and the large refrigerator. When I looked at the end result, there were not enough drawers or storage or counter space with the 19, so I went with a 21.

So far, so good, although I still wish I had the old manual (with arms) awning, and i may be looking at a tow vehicle with a bit more oomph than the Toyota Tacoma.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Like the ushaped dinette. Is this a available on a 19?
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #8

That would be YES. Here is one in a custom colour...thanks to a photo supplied by another forum member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAB804AD-931A-48B0-B351-2DE04A5319AF.jpg (162.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Like the ushaped dinette. Is this a available on a 19?
Yes it is. The U-shaped dinette is available on all models as far as I know. Here's mine in the 19. To be honest, I'm not sure about it's usefulness in the 19, because it lacks the depth. Much more practical in a 21 or a 5.0TA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (180.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #10

I don’t know how practical it is but I sure like the look of it rather than the blank white wall. I know my wife will like leaning against the front wall with her legs up on the bench. I will be making my own cushion along the front wall with some factory cloth and a removable cushion between the benches to sit on. This way we can remove the cushion...get more leg room and seat 4 comfortably.