build sheet for a 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
build sheet for a 19'

Working on it and hoping for feedback. We are expecting to boondock 75% of the time, with 25% hookups. Many of our anticipated boondocking locations do not have cell or wi fi. We'll be traveling in western Canada, southwest US, and closer to home in WA, OR, ID, and MT. Possibility of a cross-country trip to Florida Keys. We are fine with the "fifty shades of brown" stock interior option. Don't need a microwave, and don't want TV... we camp to get away from TV. Sometimes it's good not knowing what's going on in the world.

Oven w/ 3 burner cooktop
6 cuft fridge
Foot flush toilet
Toilet shutoff valve
Winterizing T-valve
Dual 6V batteries
160W Solar Panel w/ charge controller
Surge protector
LED Awning Light Strip
Air conditioner
Stereo/DVD with 2 speakers
Extra insulation and frameless windows
Opening frameless thermal windows in kitchen and bath
Cabinet door at end of bench
Drawer under wardrobe closet
Spray foam insulation under trailer
Storage box
Raise dinette/benches 3"
Convert bench seat to U-shaped
3 additional USB/12V outlets
3 shelves in wardrobe
4 LED Captain's Lamps
Starter kit w/ tandem chocks

Have we forgotten anything?? Any comments from folks who camp like we do, on what's on this list, or not?? Much appreciated!!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Where do you want your exterior door light, since you are getting the awning light, I lowered mine to below the belly band to shine on the step and area. Also the exterior shower on curb side makes a nice wash station outside the door.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Looks like a really nice trailer to me. Only comments would be to consider an exterior 12V outlet which can be handy for air compressor, water transfer pump, fan, etc. One outlet can work if you don't mind running an extension under the trailer. Also I second the outside shower/spray port which is very convenient. Last item if you have any kids/grandkids that would ever be joining you then definitely order the trailer cot ready so you have the blocks glassed in for the supports.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
If you haven’t sat in a 19 with u bench, you might want to try to do so before committing to that. It might be perfect for you but we decided against it after trying it. Just too cramped for us and too much table space sacrificed.

You might also want to consider the detachable power cord and 2-way water heater options. There are strong and mixed opinions on both but we like them.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
I agree with Jim. I wish we had lowered our light outside the door to more of a waist high level. We raised our dinette floor 3 inches and went to the the U bench but then made our table a round 24 inch round one with one pole with a recessed hole for the pole. It's kind of like a cocktail table. It still slides like the standard table. This way we can have a level floor with a small rug over it when we don't put up the table and lots of space. No tripping. We did think the U shape with the standard table was a little cramped. We very often don't even put the table up and it gives the inside a more spacious feel. We had ETI make us 2 - 12 inch filler boards so we can still use the dinette area as a bed if we desire. We store the two filler boards under the mattress and you cannot tell they are there. We used our camper 40+ nights last summer and have no regrets on our design. This works for us as we spend almost all our time outside. The important thing is to decide what will work for you. Everyones scenario is different.

We also love the detachable power cord.

-Ohio Ralph-
Old 03-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
One more thing to consider: the high lift axle option. Again, people will line up on both sides of this one but we are fans for two reasons: it offsets the loss of ground clearance from the underbody spray foam, and it adds a useful bit of lift for when you hit the dump station.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
I agree with Jim. I wish we had lowered our light outside the door to more of a waist high level. We raised our dinette floor 3 inches and went to the the U bench but then made our table a round 24 inch round one with one pole with a recessed hole for the pole. It's kind of like a cocktail table. It still slides like the standard table. This way we can have a level floor with a small rug over it when we don't put up the table and lots of space. No tripping. We did think the U shape with the standard table was a little cramped. We very often don't even put the table up and it gives the inside a more spacious feel. We had ETI make us 2 - 12 inch filler boards so we can still use the dinette area as a bed if we desire. We store the two filler boards under the mattress and you cannot tell they are there. We used our camper 40+ nights last summer and have no regrets on our design. This works for us as we spend almost all our time outside. The important thing is to decide what will work for you. Everyones scenario is different.

We also love the detachable power cord.

-Ohio Ralph-
We were thinking of something similar in regards to the U-shaped bench... make it more of a lounging area than eating area, as we anticipate sitting outside for meals most of the time, as weather allows. Did ETI make the round table?? Also really like the idea of a recessed hole for the table pole, I assume they made these changes for you upon request?? Thanks much for this info!
Old 03-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
We were thinking of something similar in regards to the U-shaped bench... make it more of a lounging area than eating area, as we anticipate sitting outside for meals most of the time, as weather allows. Did ETI make the round table?? Also really like the idea of a recessed hole for the table pole, I assume they made these changes for you upon request?? Thanks much for this info!
This might help...
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/table-for-u-shaped-dinette-10824-2.html#post208929
Old 03-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #9

Yes. ETI made all the changes. We love it. We probably leave the round table in our tow vehicle far more than we set it up and the recessed hole is fantastic. I was trying to post a photo of it but have been unsuccessful. Will continue to try.

-Ohio Ralph-
Old 03-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #10

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/at...6&d=1513218617

See if the above link for the photo opens for you. Or search for my wife's post. She is under LIN. The post is under the thread 3" raise dinette bench and floor and is dated 12-13-17.

Let me know if this works for you.

-Ohio Ralph-
Old 03-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Or search for my wife's post. She is under LIN. The post is under the thread 3" raise dinette bench and floor and is dated 12-13-17.
Here is a direct link:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post228459
Old 03-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have got my flush pole plates ready to install. They will hold the factory table when family is around or a smaller lounge table when it is just the two of us...or none at all.
Attached Thumbnails
35B05367-4F73-4713-86D0-BC20A8AC3E22.jpg   12B18B1B-B858-4EDC-B0C0-6DFC157BFA41.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/at...6&d=1513218617

See if the above link for the photo opens for you. Or search for my wife's post. She is under LIN. The post is under the thread 3" raise dinette bench and floor and is dated 12-13-17.

Let me know if this works for you.

-Ohio Ralph-
It works, and I love it!! Your set up is exactly what I have in mind. Also really like your color combo, very very nice. Thanks so much for sharing this picture, yep it looks comfy and cozy and very "lounge-like". We will enjoy inviting visitors to our pad for margaritas one day soon! We have 2 medium-sized furries that will probably enjoy that set-up as well. Will definitely be asking ETI for an identical set-up, thank you again.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm confused, you raise the floor and create a step obstruction so that you can install flush mounted pedestal holders to eliminate the stock table leg holder obstruction?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 E19'
After almost 100 nights in our 2015 19', we offer a couple of observations.

We didn't spring for the built-in stereo, not wanting to forgo cabinet space for the unit and built-in speakers, and not particularly wanting to spend $325 for a limited-use sound system. We went with a relatively cheap (~$90) but ok-enough Fiio mp3 player

https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-II-Re...ywords=fiio+x1

and a nice but relatively expensive (~$220) Bose portable speaker

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLin...etooth+speaker

The nice thing about this is that we can move the sound system around the trailer as needed - on the table or on a shelf by the head of the bed (so no need to get up to change the program or volume or turn it off when it's time to sleep), and we can use it outside if desired. We even got a cheap speaker for use in the rain, while hiking, and for overseas trips

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So for about the same money, we got a very flexible sound system that (I think) sounds lots better than the permanent unit. And we also use the Fiio player in the car while towing when we want more than the USB memory sticks can provide.

Also, we wish we didn't get the stove hood. We opted to have 2 Maxxfans installed (no A/C) which provide more than enough exhaust while cooking - even just 1 fan would be enough. The hood is in the way just enough that we keep hitting our heads on it while stirring the pot.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Here our round table that slides forth and back. (To give you an idea how it looks)
Your build sheet looks pretty much like ours. One suggestion: an outside shower passenger side. (Easy accessible water for coffee and dishes)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0454a.jpg  
Old 03-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #17
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We too, opted to eliminate the stereo as this technology changes so quickly. We had ETI build a 36" Opening/Door at Rear Overhead Bed Area.

Because we travel where it's hot we got air conditioner
We are really glad we have solar for times we are dry camping.

Other things we love:
Yes, get foot flush toilet!
Bathroom window (No one can see in , and I like opening that window and having extra light.)
I especially like having the Electric Tongue Jack ---it saves our back!
Bike rack ready hitch
Additional brake lights
Spray foam and extra insulation keeps things quieter and temperature cooler/warmer in varying climates

Enjoy this time, planning is overwhelming and soon you will see your final results!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
We too, opted to eliminate the stereo as this technology changes so quickly. We had ETI build a 36" Opening/Door at Rear Overhead Bed Area.

Other things we love:
Yes, get foot flush toilet!
Bathroom window (No one can see in , and I like opening that window and having extra light.)
I especially like having the Electric Tongue Jack ---it saves our back!
Bike rack ready hitch
Additional brake lights
Spray foam and extra insulation keeps things quieter and temperature cooler/warmer in varying climates

Enjoy this time, planning is overwhelming and soon you will see your final results!

Lorna
Thanks Lorna!! We decided to go with the stereo because I have hundreds of CDs I love, we don't have an ipod, and many of the places we will be camping don't have wi fi or cell service, so no Pandora. We do like listening to local NPR too. I think it's a generation thing!! OK I admit it, I am tech challenged when it comes to music Definitely going with the air conditioner for when we're hooked into power and for possible re-sale. The solar panel and dual 6-volt batteries were non-negotiable from the start for me, as was the spray foam insulation. The electric tongue jack is worth considering... thanks for your feedback!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
All you need is a smartphone ( iPhone in my case ) which has Bluetooth capability and a Bluetooth speaker. I transferred all my CDs to iTunes on my laptop and then on to my iPod and now my iPhone.
It hurts that my iPod Classic serves no purpose any more, because all my tunes are on my iPhone.
I also have apps for my favorite radio and podcasts on the iPhone.
I have Sirius satellite radio as well, but don't really need it, which is why you can bargain hard with them for their service.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
All you need is a smartphone ( iPhone in my case ) which has Bluetooth capability and a Bluetooth speaker. I transferred all my CDs to iTunes on my laptop and then on to my iPod and now my iPhone.
It hurts that my iPod Classic serves no purpose any more, because all my tunes are on my iPhone.
I also have apps for my favorite radio and podcasts on the iPhone.
I have Sirius satellite radio as well, but don't really need it, which is why you can bargain hard with them for their service.
Sounds like a lead in to this.

Quote:
Now we got country and western on the bus
R&B, we got disco in eight tracks and cassettes in stereo
We've got rural scenes and magazines
And We've got truckers on the cb
We've got Richard Pryor on the video
We got time to think of the ones we love
While the miles roll away
But the only time that seems too short
Is the time that we get to play

People you've got the power over what we do
You can sit there and wait
Or you can pull us through
Come along, sing the song
You know you can't go wrong
'Cause when that morning sun comes beating down
You're going to wake up in your town
But we'll be scheduled to appear
A thousand miles away from here
https://youtu.be/4vvOIqUnxzk

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote