Insulation- to insul or not to insul - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Oh my! I'm glad their new-to-them trailer was okay. I had read about Abilene having problems, although it was just a mention among a long list! I'm near Austin and we're still in a Flash Flood Watch until Friday morning...

Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Seems like this happens every year around this time in Texas, flash flooding. Every time we drive through it seems we have to be mindful of the storms. On the other hand, can not beat a good chili and cornbread dinner.....

Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #33

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
There are a number of reasons not to buy the spray foam underneath, which probably the most logical is any repair needed underneath the foam is real bummer to do....
I can attest to this. I had to replace the drain valve to the black water tank and had a miserable time - there was absolutely no flex with the insulation in place. I couldn't even remove the old valve until I cut away much of the insulation.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
One nice thing about Canada is that they speak a dialect of English so if you pay attention you can almost understand what they are saying.
You made me laugh Steve because last spring my wife and I were down in the Los Angeles area and while we were doing some sight seeing I got talking with one of the locals. I mentioned to him that I was from Canada and he got a real surprised look on his face and then said to me "I never would have know that, because you don't even have an accent"
We talked for quite a while, he asked me all kinds of questions about Canada and Vancouver Island. That's one of the things I like about traveling, you meet lots of good people.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
You made me laugh Steve because last spring my wife and I were down in the Los Angeles area and while we were doing some sight seeing I got talking with one of the locals. I mentioned to him that I was from Canada and he got a real surprised look on his face and then said to me "I never would have know that, because you don't even have an accent"
We toured a plantation home in Louisiana and at the end of the tour the guide asked who was willing to play along with his game: he tried to guess where people are from based on their accent. He did well with others, but pinned us as being from North Carolina. No - both of us have lived in Ontario and in western Canada, but have never even visited North Carolina.

Everyone has an accent, and they are often identifiable, but as people become more mobile (not staying their entire lives in one area) and hear people from other areas much of the time (TV and movies), accents (like all other aspects of culture) are becoming less distinct.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #36

Trailer: None
I took some teachers training at the University of Tennessee
at Knoxville. We had an orientation class on the first day and they handed out an English to Southern translation work book.
I never did master the Southern language, even after four years but my Canadian is not half bad. I lived on Minesota's Iron Range for a while and they speak a dialect of Canadian , so when we went to the UP of Michigan , I was able to translate for the others in our group.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #37

Trailer: waiting on 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
At the rally, Reace said he is quite impressed with the acoustical performance of the new foam insulation they are using instead of Reflectix. He said standing inside with nothing more than the foam installed, he was pleasantly surprised by how the sound was deadened. This foam is 1/2" thick, so thermal insulation should be a bit better too, though there is no real way for Escape to accurately measure the R value. This thickness, along with the floppiness of the material, does create some installation issues for both the foam and other components, though I imagine the crew will get better with it over time.

I have always maintained that the first option I would get would be the added insulation, and the dual glazed windows. This insulation keeps the heat out in warm temps, and the heat in in cold temps, a benefit in any climate.

I am still not sold on spray foam for underneath, and at this time I am forgoing it, as it or another alternative could be added at a later date quite easily.
I agree with your hesitation on the PU spray foam Jim, and like yourself, have experience with it's ability to stick to anything! However, I plan to get down to cold(er) RV adventures as soon as I receive my 5.0 in November. I can't see myself on my back for days applying a thorough 2"-3" XPS foam underbelly in the cold wet. I think XPS "glued and strapped" followed up with a brushed on application of flexible hard-coat would be an excellent choice for the belly. I will live with the spray foam, which in my case is better than nothing. Thanks for the quote on Reace's thoughts of the newer 1/2" PE foam as an add-insulation option. Makes sense to me that it would out-perform the reflectix.
Bentnotbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 PM   #38

Trailer: waiting on 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I took some teachers training at the University of Tennessee
at Knoxville. We had an orientation class on the first day and they handed out an English to Southern translation work book.
I never did master the Southern language, even after four years but my Canadian is not half bad. I lived on Minesota's Iron Range for a while and they speak a dialect of Canadian , so when we went to the UP of Michigan , I was able to translate for the others in our group.
Steve this is very funny! If true I'm going to cry.. not a pretty sight
Bentnotbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Yes, the Southern language can be inpenetrable to outsiders. It's not just accent-- it's vocabulary, idioms, and usage. When I lived in Maryland and visited my parents in northwest Florida it took about a month afterward to get it out of my system. Since moving back home I've reverted to the lingo of my childhood.