Q’s about Escape’s cushion fabric and yours! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Question Q’s about Escape’s cushion fabric and yours!

DH and I were wondering about cushion fabrics... we’d love to hear from the forum about a few things :

1. Can someone tell me how much fabric is needed for a partial as well as a full cushion wrap for the 21’ U-shaped dinette?

2. How much fabric is needed for the valances?

3. Does anyone know what type of fabric is standard on the Escape? (DH likes the texture, but not the color or pattern.)

4. For those of you who have customized your fabric, are you still happy with your choice? What did you choose?

5. ...if you’re not happy with it, what would you choose now?

6. For those who chose Naugahyde, is it as sticky, hot or cold (depending on the weather) as standard vinyl when you sit on it for a time?

7. If you chose a Sunbrella fabric, is it quite stain-resistant? What about on solid-colored Sunbrella fabrics?

We’d love to go with a polyurethane faux leather, but the price is quite prohibitive. Yes, we’ve researched Sailright, fabric.com, and a host of other stores...even one in Canada.

We found some eBay options, but really can’t find any colors other than the standard black, reds, browns, tans, and creams.

8. Has anyone found any other resource with better prices? Perhaps a fabric warehouse or PU faux leather discounter?

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
You got the 2 ft’ish disease as well?
Soooo contagious.....

We went with Sunbrella, solid colour. And very happy with it. So far all the stains were removable. But have to say that we live more outside then inside.
Attached Thumbnails
EF02D6A3-B3B1-4930-829E-8E9FEF9BE1DBa.jpg  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #3

Me too!

Hi Marry...yes, it’s catching! And I’ll probably go with the 23‘, if they ever decide to make it! Your fabric looks nice and bright! I’m happy to hear nothing really shows up on the fabric for you then.
I’m notorious for spilling coffee, which is why the standard colors and fabric really didn’t bother me.
But once my DH saw some of the customized fabric photos, he was sold! I was looking for a nice coastal blue pu faux leather for him, but full retail would cost up to, and over $900! Yikes!
I appreciate your input, thanks!
Old 09-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #4
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
I believe that the amount of fabric required for customizing is listed on the build sheet? It was in 2018.
We got the vinyl Sunbrella fabric from Sailright. We ordered a lot of samples. I tried destroying the vinyl sample to see how durable the vinyl was and wasn't really able to even put a scratch in it, so it's pretty durable! Also, yes, it's a little chilly sometimes, but we just leave a blanket there to use as needed. Even in hot weather, we don't find the inside temperature of the trailer gets that hot with the Maxx fan and A/C for the sticky/sweaty factor of the fabric. I am amazed how much dust comes off of it when cleaning which makes me wonder how regular fabric would have faired.
I believe it was around $300 CDN plus the customization fee Escape charges. We did not do the full wrap.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We replaced our stock fabric after 8 months. Hated the pattern and the seat foam was worn out. 6 yards of fabric gave us a partial wrap plus valances plus an extra yard left over. Our fabric is a solid ultra suede, one of those cost prohibitive polyurethane. It was $70/yard. We used a phiffertex fabric for the cushion bottoms and back. The phiffertex is really inexpensive, around $5/yard, and allows the cushions exhale as you sit on them. We added 2" of foam to the bottom cushion for now a total of 6" thick foam on the seat. Ultrasuede so far washes up perfect, our fabric is rated for over 100,000 rub cycles. Yes, it is expensive but so much nicer than stock.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #6

Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
I believe that the amount of fabric required for customizing is listed on the build sheet? It was in 2018.
We got the vinyl Sunbrella fabric from Sailright. We ordered a lot of samples. I tried destroying the vinyl sample to see how durable the vinyl was and wasn't really able to even put a scratch in it, so it's pretty durable! Also, yes, it's a little chilly sometimes, but we just leave a blanket there to use as needed. Even in hot weather, we don't find the inside temperature of the trailer gets that hot with the Maxx fan and A/C for the sticky/sweaty factor of the fabric. I am amazed how much dust comes off of it when cleaning which makes me wonder how regular fabric would have faired.
I believe it was around $300 CDN plus the customization fee Escape charges. We did not do the full wrap.
Yes...road Dust and anything else you bring into the trailer will get stuck on that standard upholstery. That’s one of the reasons I was leaning towards a smoother surface now, Like PU faux leather or PVC vinyl. Easy to wipe off. And like you mentioned, cover it with a blanket or sheet. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #7

Customize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
We replaced our stock fabric after 8 months. Hated the pattern and the seat foam was worn out. 6 yards of fabric gave us a partial wrap plus valances plus an extra yard left over. Our fabric is a solid ultra suede, one of those cost prohibitive polyurethane. It was $70/yard. We used a phiffertex fabric for the cushion bottoms and back. The phiffertex is really inexpensive, around $5/yard, and allows the cushions exhale as you sit on them. We added 2" of foam to the bottom cushion for now a total of 6" thick foam on the seat. Ultrasuede so far washes up perfect, our fabric is rated for over 100,000 rub cycles. Yes, it is expensive but so much nicer than stock.

I’ll have to look up phiffertex... yet another term of which I’m unfamiliar. I wish ETI would put zippers on their stock fabric, making it easier for us to change out or alter the foam as well as the upholstery. Your idea sounds so much more comfortable! Of course, when one considers “customizing“ cost is usually associated with the upgrade.
I’m still going to scour eBay for good deals on ultra leather. I’ll check into ultra suede as well. Thanks!