19 Pickup Trip Report and Initial Impressions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #11

Trailer: ???
canyonrider...nice review...look's like you didn't go for the AC option, of course Colorado is pretty nice for camping without AC!

sounds as if a new trailer buyer should plan on circling the reservation (ETI) for at least a few days to make sure everything is okay with the trailer before departing BC...perhaps ETI might consider reserving campsites at this Silver Lake campground for each days trailer production if reservations are required.....
hopefully ETI QC will improve even with the increased production rates and the pressure to squeeze out a few more trailers every day..

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19
Thanks for the comments. Marry- I believe our trailer did go through quality control, at least based on the "QC" notation on the final bill of sale. My impression is that kitchen window is something that should have been caught during that process, as the misalignment of the lower flap and gap was visible from the exterior. But the water pump may have been working fine at the factory, who knows. It was very finicky, ETI tried multiple adjustments to no avail before deciding to replace.

Our WDH is the standard setup offered by Escape and seems to work well. Dennis did the setup and was very helpful.

Re the 1Up, I'll try and take some pictures later this week of the setup we were using. Interesting to hear that 1Up recommends two bikes max for RV use. I did not know that, but now it makes total sense. We do have the "heavy duty" version, and the tray closest to the bumper has the fat bike kit installed (I have a fat bike that wasn't along with us on this trip).

The issue with the 29er seems to be the overall diameter of the wheels and tires (which is increased somewhat by wider, high volume tires). This gives the arms less wheel to grab onto, if that makes sense. I also think this is exacerbated on my bike, which has an XL frame and fairly slack head angle (67 deg.), making for a long wheelbase. This has been completely solid on the back of the 4Runner (and with my XL fat bike as well), but seems to be pushing it on the back of the trailer.

canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #13

Old Skool, thanks for the additional comments on the 1Up. Sounds like the same issue. In our case, I first saw similar marks on the window (but no damage) from my handlebars. My handlebars are fairly wide, so I moved the rack outboard a bit in the hitch and swapped my wife's bike to the most inboard position. But then her handlebars hit the vinyl window frame, leaving small indentations that fortunately appear to just be cosmetic. Then, I tried leaving the inboard tray completely empty and putting my wife's bike on the roof rack. This solved the trailer contact issue, but I still had my front wheel getting loose from the arm on the 1Up.

Your solution with the crank arm pushed against the spare tire is a good one, I may try that with my wife's bike on the inboard tray and our daughter's bike on the second tray (and remove the third tray altogether). Alternatively, I may just use the 1Up for kids bikes, and keep our 29ers on the roof.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
First trip in the 19

We picked up our trailer on July 19 and drove home to Castlegar. It pulled quite well over all the passes. The trailer was empty but the truck(2010 Tacoma) was loaded. We then spent the week filling the trailer with all the necessities of camping plus some. Then we hit the road seriously for a kayak/painting trip to the East Kootenays. Once we hit Radium Hot Springs we were onto logging and mining roads which were dusty when dry and muddy when wet. Our camping spot was Horsheshoe Rapids on the Kootenay River which was half a kilometer down a steep, rutted four wheel drive track. The trailer went down and up slowly without a problem. The clearance is excellent on the Escape. We set up camp right on the river and began to appreciate all the comforts and conveniences. The bed is fantastic. The awning kept us protected in the rain. The outside shower was ideal for a quick shower or rinse. The fridge worked perfectly and we never went low on power.
Okay, there was one problem. The water pump will not stop running, which I have read about from others all year, so we constantly had to hit the kill switch. I have tried everything including shaking the pump and all lines. We will have to suffer with this until September when we will pass by ETI again. Otherwise, we are happy campers.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
Horsepower is the only factor that determines how fast you get up hills actually. Torque determines how many RPM's you need to run to get enough HP to go your desired speed up the hill.
A 2009 4Runner v6 has 236 hp and 266 ft-lbs of torque. The 1gr-fe v6 in the 4Runner has a performance curve that gets pretty flat above 4,200 RPM, so most people will be doing long climbs at around 4,000. That kind of RPM sounds a bit alarming to most people, so it's not that comfortable of an experience.
I agree, but I would say (based on several discussions over the years) that most people should be doing those climbs at around 4,000 rpm to get the performance they want, but most are not willing to do that so they use a higher gear and are disappointed by the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
As a comparison, our Touareg TDI has only 225 hp but 406 ft lbs of torque. That higher torque means it develops about 200 hp somewhere around 2,700 rpm. Most of the time we are cruising at 1800-2000 rpm, so not much difference when climbing hills, which is very comfortable. Technically I'm not getting up the hill any faster than you guys are though.
That's the result of turbocharging.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
We picked up our trailer on July 19 and drove home to Castlegar. It pulled quite well over all the passes. The trailer was empty but the truck(2010 Tacoma) was loaded. We then spent the week filling the trailer with all the necessities of camping plus some. Then we hit the road seriously for a kayak/painting trip to the East Kootenays. Once we hit Radium Hot Springs we were onto logging and mining roads which were dusty when dry and muddy when wet. Our camping spot was Horsheshoe Rapids on the Kootenay River which was half a kilometer down a steep, rutted four wheel drive track. The trailer went down and up slowly without a problem. The clearance is excellent on the Escape. We set up camp right on the river and began to appreciate all the comforts and conveniences. The bed is fantastic. The awning kept us protected in the rain. The outside shower was ideal for a quick shower or rinse. The fridge worked perfectly and we never went low on power.
Okay, there was one problem. The water pump will not stop running, which I have read about from others all year, so we constantly had to hit the kill switch. I have tried everything including shaking the pump and all lines. We will have to suffer with this until September when we will pass by ETI again. Otherwise, we are happy campers.
I have camped at Horseshoe Rapids recreation area several times while paddling on the Kootenay River. It is located in a great spot for ending a first days paddling and beginning a second day. The access to the campground is indeed poor. I had thought about bringing my 19' the last time we were out (last labour day weekend), however, I didn't really like the idea of traversing miles of potholed forestry road to get to the access point, driving through a forest of tree branches that could scrape the sides of my shiny Escape on the way in, or the very limited space for turning around my FJ and 19' at the river. Kudos to you for taking your Escape in there.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #17

update

I thought I would update this thread now that we have spent some more miles and nights with our 19.

- ETI sent me a new knob for the opening kitchen window as promised. It mostly works now, but still doesn't seem to perform 100% as it should. The knob disengages and spin freely for several turns after the window opens 1-2 cm, then does the same thing at that point when closing. Also, the seal/alignment of the opening portion of the window is better than when we first received the trailer, but is still uneven. Maybe I'm being picky, who knows. Reace has told me that he will be contacting Hehr, so we'll see.

- The replacement water pump has been great. Furnace and hot water heater have also worked well.

- We had an issue with the fridge not wanting to run on propane when camped in cooler weather and at high altitude (10,000 ft), I'll post a separate thread on that question.

- The 4Runner has been spending more time over 4,000 rpm than I would like (and in some cases over 5,000 rpm for brief periods), so I'm still thinking about a new tow vehicle!

- Abandoning the 1Up for trailer use for now. I already have a roof rack setup for up to four bikes, and if I am going to be taking one or two bikes on the roof I might as well put all of them up there and entirely avoid the risk of bike and trailer damage from the 1Up. I'll still use the 1Up for non-trailer purposes, it's a great rack otherwise.

Overall a great trailer so far, our family has been loving it. In hindsight I might have paid more attention to how the 2017 redesign improves the door and window seals, but I don't think it would have been a deal breaker (especially given the greater cost of the 2017).
Old 08-16-2016, 02:26 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17A picked up and ready
Hi Geoff,

Can you please fill in more details on your concerns for the trailer use of your 1Up? I just started using one and have been very pleased with mine. Perhaps Im missing something.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
I thought I would update this thread now that we have spent some more miles and nights with our 19.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the trailer Geoff. As for the fridge issue, you'll note in the Dometic manual that they say the fridge performance will be degraded and may not work on propane at all when at a high elevation. It's a direct result of lower atmospheric pressure and reduced oxygen levels.

Having said that, I would also check the burner and make sure there's no debris, and check the output pressure from your regulator to make sure it's putting out at least 11" WC pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Glad to hear you're enjoying the trailer Geoff. As for the fridge issue, you'll note in the Dometic manual that they say the fridge performance will be degraded and may not work on propane at all when at a high elevation. It's a direct result of lower atmospheric pressure and reduced oxygen levels.

Having said that, I would also check the burner and make sure there's no debris, and check the output pressure from your regulator to make sure it's putting out at least 11" WC pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hi: rbryan4... In 2014 at the ETI Customer Appreciation Rally, Reace came around and adjusted our regulator. They were setting them for Chiliwack's sea level and found it to be somewhat low on average. That was after changing out our water heater's electric switch made backwards in China. Great customer service!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote