A Little Different U-Shape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
LeonW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Not sure where I got this idea. Maybe something said in another thread. We had decided on a U-shaped dinette in our 21 due next spring because we liked the smaller table and the enhanced lounging aspect of the U-shape but we knew we would likely never sit in the rear part of the U. Also, I didn't like having the batteries all the way in the back part of the U for access reasons mainly. So I presented this idea to Sarah and she said it's doable. We will get the standard dinette with the large table. Escape will cut the rear end off the table to yield a U dinette table and the cut off end will function as a filler board resting on the bed rails at the rear of the trailer. Sarah said she would get a quote for a custom cushion to fit the board and we can just use some throw pillows for the back. Throw in a Springfield pedestal and all's right with the world.
I think this is a good idea. We have thought about adding a 1X12 board between the seats, just to put our feet on, or perhaps to use a book shelf. We are also thinking of cutting the front end of the table off a bit just so it is a bit easier to slide in and out of the dinette.
__________________

__________________
Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
..... or perhaps to use a book shelf.
This is Lisa's only reason for wanting a U-shaped dinette, is a place to put stuff in use on, stuff that does not always very put away.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
AKCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 229
We are picking up our 19 this month. We had a filler board made with cushions to make a U-shaped lounge area with the standard table removed. We had the flush mount table bases installed in a raised dinette. I am hoping to be able to make a small round table mounted on one pole to use with the lounge area.
AKCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: In process of buying new 5.0TA pick up in Oct
Posts: 1,105
I'm having a hard time picturing this change it sounds like a u shaped dinette? whats different?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I'm having a hard time picturing this change it sounds like a u shaped dinette? whats different?
No bench under. Just the filter board and cushion.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
katzam29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
We are picking up our 19 this month. We had a filler board made with cushions to make a U-shaped lounge area with the standard table removed. We had the flush mount table bases installed in a raised dinette. I am hoping to be able to make a small round table mounted on one pole to use with the lounge area.
When you get your trailer, can you please post a picture of this change? Thanks!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
When you get your trailer, can you please post a picture of this change? Thanks!
matzam29, Picture the standard dinette. Remove the tabletop and pedestals. Now picture a board 12" deep and cut to the width necessary to span across the back, from bench lip to bench lip. Cover this board with foam and fabric, and you have created a 'Lounge' that can be converted back to a standard dinette. The factory installed U-Shaped dinette has a permanent rear bench and the tabletop has been shortened to make room for the permanent rear bench.
Also, in a 21 and 5.0TA the batteries are placed under the rear bench of the factory installed U-Shaped dinette. In the modified U-Shape described above, the batteries remain under the curb side dinette bench. Hope this helps
__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 4,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
matzam29, Picture the standard dinette. Remove the tabletop and pedestals. Now picture a board 12" deep and cut to the width necessary to span across the back, from bench lip to bench lip. Cover this board with foam and fabric, and you have created a 'Lounge' that can be converted back to a standard dinette. The factory installed U-Shaped dinette has a permanent rear bench and the tabletop has been shortened to make room for the permanent rear bench.
Also, in a 21 and 5.0TA the batteries are placed under the rear bench of the factory installed U-Shaped dinette. In the modified U-Shape described above, the batteries remain under the curb side dinette bench. Hope this helps
Yes, people have to decide which they want. With the standard U, we have our batteries, inverter, electrical and more at the back in the bench. We, therefore, have empty space in our side benches where we have many other items. Depends on whether you get various options as to whether you "need" the back bench space.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Canton, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
When you get your trailer, can you please post a picture of this change? Thanks!
Is your filler 12 inches? Would a larger one work? Guess i need to know how long the standard dinette is.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Box Elder, South Dakota
Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Is your filler 12 inches? Would a larger one work? Guess i need to know how long the standard dinette is.
On my build sheet Sarah shows the filler board as being 15 inches wide. This is on a 21 foot. BTW, the cost of doing the this type of U is $100 to cut and finish tabletop/filler board and $150 for a custom cushion so a total of $250. At least that's how it plays out on my build sheet.
__________________

stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.