Another build sheet signed and turned in - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
We sent the rest of the money by wire today so it's definitely feeling real now.

grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We mailed our final check this week too. Based upon the conversion rate we get, it will cover almost all of it. Once we know what is left, we'll call and finish it off with a credit card. It sure does feel good

Quote:
Originally Posted by grump View Post
We sent the rest of the money by wire today so it's definitely feeling real now.

GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Must be the week, or something in the water as they say. Because I signed off on my build sheet this afternoon. Will pay the remaining $ 1300.00 off tomorrow by credit card. now the long wait till October.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Trailer is paid for!

I drove up there today and handed them a check to pay off our trailer as well. They're only 3 hours away and it's an easy drive.

Got stuck with two poopy border guys (one for each direction). They both asked me why my husband wasn't with me if we were both buying the trailer (among a ton of other questions). WTF? What difference does that make when I told them I was going up to give them a big check as I didn't want to trust it to the postal systems. I was rather offended and thought it was sexist to ask that.

And be prepared to rattle off your license plate number if they ask ya. Yep, got asked that and fortunately I know my plate and what the PK part of it stands for (WA State Parks). Jeez.

Anyway, it's great to have it paid off. However, the exchange rate was not quite as much in our favor today. On Jan 18th it was 1.4386 and today it was 1.3605. An almost $1500 difference. Ouch!

I also went by Pioneer Building and ordered the flooring. They'll hold on to it for however long they need to. Figured I'd order it now instead of later and the supplier is out of it and there's a delay due to that. There was a bit of anxiety on my part as Jackie said they switched distributors for that brand and they weren't carrying all of the styles. But she tracked it down, found they had enough inventory on hand and ordered it. Whew!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
It's part of their job to pull your chain a little...gauge the reaction by asking the unexpected question. Doesn't pay to get peeved with a border guard and show it, especially one from the other country!
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
What is it with those border crossings? Some can be almost a pleasure and the next one will leave a very bad taste in your mouth. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
It's part of their job to pull your chain a little...gauge the reaction by asking the unexpected question. Doesn't pay to get peeved with a border guard and show it, especially one from the other country!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
What is it with those border crossings? Some can be almost a pleasure and the next one will leave a very bad taste in your mouth. Loren
Yeah, I know that's part of their job, but still! And, no I didn't show i was peeved. I waited till I was home and vented to the husband.

Probably depends on how bored they are! I also got the FJ sniffed all over by a dog before I crossed over to Canada. They were checked every vehicle. Don't know what the dog was checking for.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
You can tell by the breed.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 15A
Had the license plate number question asked when we crossed into Washington State last Nov. To make it even more complicated he didn't ask for the vehicle plate, he asked for the trailer license plate number. The vehicle I knew, the trailer WTF, as the saying goes, eh, NW Cat Owner?? The border guard said it's OK, he would go to the back of the trailer and look it up himself, then entered it into his computer.

He asked me to roll down the back side window in the vehicle, it has privacy glass, so he could see inside. He didn't ask to see inside the trailer and asked very few questions about what we had inside that trailer. I was expecting more questions about what we were bringing across in the trailer. We had very few food items to make it simple at the border. Felt it was easier just to buy what we needed once we were across the border and pay the exchange rate at that time of 37%! Ouch!! But we still got cheaper gas down there even with the extra 37%.

After a few standard questions he lightened up and we had a great little chat about why he moved from Yuma AZ to Blaine WA - way too hot for him to sit sweating all day at a border crossing in the summer in AZ. Then I had a few questions for him and off we went.

But my favorite question he asked was something like; "Do you know any terrorists, or have you talked to or associated with any know terrorists in the last few weeks?" I restrained myself from laughing and politely said "No". He should have know we're too polite in Canada to associate with terrorists, eh!

Sorry for being so long winded.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Probably depends on how bored they are! I also got the FJ sniffed all over by a dog before I crossed over to Canada. They were checked every vehicle. Don't know what the dog was checking for.
Maybe the dog smelled CAT??

JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote