Another grill question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have this griddle, which sits perfectly atop my BBQ / grill. Light weight and easy to store.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h...3903p.html#srp
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 2.15.14 PM.jpg  
Old 12-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can get the optional griddle for the Q's, covers half the grill so you and fry up your eggs while you grill the mornings buffalo steak.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
WAIT!
We haven't discussed what is a grill and what is a BBQ.

Fortunately, the question was about a "grill", which is a much less contentious term than "barbecue" (or "BBQ", or "barbeque"). That still leaves open grills and flat grills...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You can get the optional griddle for the Q's, covers half the grill so you and fry up your eggs while you grill the mornings buffalo steak.

Thanks Bob, but remember I need overkill. A small griddle does not look like half the fun of the Blackstone.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Thanks Bob, but remember I need overkill. A small griddle does not look like half the fun of the Blackstone.

In that case you need the Napoleon 285 and a couple butane burners.
Attached Thumbnails
Camp kitchen.jpg  
Old 12-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
There is usually only me...I use the Weber gas Go Anywhere. pretty compact, and works well. i think i replaced the last one after @5-6 years of use both traveling and at home. the price is not a big hit to do that. the enamel sides/bottom are easily cleaned inside by just lifting off the grate--in the bbq kit i carry windex, a dedicated scrubby sponge (replaced often with ones no longer used in the kitchen) and a partial roll of paper towels.
Have/use both the gas and charcoal models. The gas cooks chicken drumsticks perfectly. Planning to buy a low pressure valve to swap between high and low pressure as needed (such as when unable to take a spare tank along or if running low on the green bottles).

Love that they are compact and fit most anywhere. Cook for three or four when camping.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:59 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a Cobb cooker, it is like a crock pot with charcoal, takes like 4 hours to slow cook meat using only 4 briquets. Then there is the Can cooker, a pressure cooker for camp stoves, great for corned beef/cabbage, Now I'm hungry, going to raid the kitchen...
Old 12-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I bought a Napoleon 285 portable with a tall lid because it has two burners. I can cook direct with one or two burners or I can cook a whole chicken indirect ( using one burner, with the chicken on the other side.
And if you want these are easily converted to low pressure. I have done that with two of them for others.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #29

I too have to add that using the low pressure quick connect is a really great thing in my opinion. Before it I either hooked to the tanks on the trailer or carted along additional bottles, and now nothing be some easy to stow hoses. For me the good reasons for using the LP QC are twofold, first it is just so easy to quickly set up, and secondly I just love not having to bring along extra propane canisters, either a smaller refillable or the disposable one pound ones. I really do not like the waste with those disposable ones, let alone the fact they are always running out.

Most, but not all, folks who are negative towards the low pressure setup have not even used it. No matter though, if you get yummy food cooked, all is good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
My concern with the low pressure setup is that it ties me to cooking near the trailer.
I don't have a problem with a 20 lb bottle in the back of my truck, I mostly use the BBQ on the tailgate, so its super handy for me.
A few 1lb bottles and its perfectly portable. to use at a picnic table, beach etc.
I also like to use this BBQ when I not trailering as well. So keeping the regulator on it is better for me.

The additional 20 lb bottle in the truck is also a backup to our trailer supply. Not really an issue we only used one 20 lb bottle in a month and a half of summer camping. Very different in the shoulder seasons I'm sure.

I have seen trailers that had a "T" between the trailer bottle and regulator, with a ball valve and length of propane hose. This allowed a BBQ with a regulator to be easily connected to the trailers supply or run off of other sources. I have no idea if this is legal or not.
B
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My Weber Q1200 keeps me happy. Removed the valve it came with and added a quick connection line direct into the tongue propane valve.
Attached Thumbnails
WeberQ1200.jpg  
Old 12-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #32

I was concerned that I might want to use one of the appliances further away too, so bring along a regulator which takes about 60 seconds to install if needed, and then just use one of the trailer bottles. I think I am going to pull it out of the trailer, as we have never used it camping, as the picnic table is never more than 20 feet away if you really want to cook there.

I have used my BBQ a couple times away from the trailer, and like I said above a super simple thing to put the regulator and hose on. But for these very rare occasions I will gladly use a simpler system and just adapt if ever needed.

When I used to use the adapter on one of my trailer bottles, it always seemed to be on the one out of fuel, so I had to take the time to swap it. So glad to dump this setup.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #33

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Thanks to all forum members who replied to my post. Your input is greatly appreciated. After your inputs and my neighbor's over a beer, I've decided to buy a Q grille. The quick-connect option comes with the hose and fitting to connect to trailer. I'll try to figure out the connection to the Q while on the road. We will be heading to the rally after pickup in early May. Perhaps somebody there can offer advice. Thanks again. Jim
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This may help. For me all plumbing parts were available (including fittings required at the propane tank valve on tongue) in a good hardware store. Got that hose at an RV store. Quick connect part must be for gas only, not for air, so be aware not to buy the wrong one.
Attached Thumbnails
webrQ1.jpg  
Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
QC conversion is simple if the appliances will accept a low pressure connection.
The Weber Q is an excellent grill and easy to convert.
Camp Chef Ranger II is the best camp stove I've used and is a simple conversion to QC. I added a fold up windscreen for those blustery days.
Camp Chef fire pit was very easy to convert and I think it performs better on QC.
I have 3 - 12foot QC hoses and if I wanted the BBQ to be further away you can simply connect them together.
Absolute must is a QC Y adapter so BBQ and Stove can be used at same time. This is the type I use. https://amzn.to/2Q4Iw5Q
I use a roll up table that stores across the back of the 19 and is simple to setup near the tongue for stove, BBQ. Quick to setup and store for a great outside kitchen. https://amzn.to/34ANU5Q
Quartzsite attendees are familiar with my kitchen setup, but if you are at Quartzsite Gathering this year and want to walk through the QC setup, just ask and I'll be happy to walk through it with you. All the parts can be had in town and we can have you good to go before the gathering is over.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
For grill and campfire transport (in the car or on the floor of the trailer) I got these. The dimensions seemed too small for the grill but it fits just fine, very spacious.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
I bought a Napoleon 285 portable with a tall lid because it has two burners. I can cook direct with one or two burners or I can cook a whole chicken indirect ( using one burner, with the chicken on the other side.
For Q owners, if you are interested, just happened on this yesterday. Not to diminish the usefulness of the 2 burners on the Napoleon.

As some of us know, the Aussie's are ahead of us in small campers, seems they are also ahead in cooking on the Q too. There are websites dedicated to such, here's an excerpt for indirect cooking.

"The next step in using the Q is cooking using indirect heat. I won’t call it roasting as it is really a form of convection cooking.
The mechanics of this is simple we need to place a barrier between the direct heat from the burner and the food ( I say food rather than meat as you can cook bread, deserts, vegetables anything really using this method). This can be achieved by simply placing a doubled over sheet of foil on the grill which acts as a reflective barrier. You need to ensure that you leave an air gap of at least 1 ½” (35 mm) between the edges of the foil and the 4 sides of the Q. This will reflect the direct hear away from the food. The other thing that you need to do is raise the food above the foil by at least ¾” (19 mm). The easiest way to do this is to use a wire trivet with legs that will sit across the grill bars. If this is not available you can use any type of wire rack that will fit and sit it on 4 balls of foil about 1” (25 mm) high. This allows the hot air to flow around the food and cook it using the convection method. The convection airflow is created by the design of the lid of the Q. The reason for the doubled over sheet is to allow heat dissapation through the air layer between the sheets.

When roasting using the trivet place a small hole with the tip of a knife under the meat to allow the fat/juices to drain off the foil and into the drip tray below. A lot of fat and juices will drip onto the foil and boil off, this imparts that beautiful BBQ flavour that you don’t get in a conventional oven.

For your temperature settings – Preheat with both burners on high for 10 minutes and then turn off the centre burner and adjust the outer burner down about 2 strokes from high. You need to set the temperature at about 10 -15 Degrees C above the setting that you would normally use to cook with in a conventional oven .
Note - Preheat first, then set up for indirect cooking

When you want to cook things like honey and soy chicken wings or food with a high sugar content in the marinade, use the indirect method, you can baste the food several times when cooking and build up the flavours on the outside and you don’t get that burnt bitter taste. This also works well when using commercial BBQ sauces as a baste/marinade.

Cakes and muffins are done using the same method - the timing is something that will need some consideration. This is why I generally set the Q on 2 or three strokes below high on the gas control and then cook for a set amount of time depending on the dish and then check for doneness and adjust cooking time as required.

One of the good things about using this method on the Q320 is you are not restricted to a small area in the centre. You can also just use the centre burner on low with this indirect method for low and slow cooking.

Here are a couple of photos showing Two chickens on a trivet in the Q220 and

A chicken with roast veggies on a trivet on a Q220, and finally,

5 chickens using the foil and trivet indirect method on a Genesis E320."

Sorry, no photos but here's a utube on the idea.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #38

OP says: Preheat with both burners on high for 10 minutes and then turn off the centre burner and adjust the outer burner down about 2 strokes from high.
I thought the post would describe how to cook indirect with a one-burner Q.
I tried cooking a chicken on an overturned foil pan on my Dickenson BBQ. It didn't go well.

I recommend you keep an eye on the Q if you try this.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #39

Quote:
I tried cooking a chicken on an overturned foil pan on my Dickenson BBQ. It didn't go well.
That technique would not really give much for heat diffusion. Using a baking stone with items on a shallow metal grill or double layer of foil on top of the stone we have done chicken, lasagne, mac & cheese, cakes, cookies and so on. Now that we have an oven though, Lisa does all the baking in there, and lots of it.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
I have seen trailers that had a "T" between the trailer bottle and regulator, with a ball valve and length of propane hose. This allowed a BBQ with a regulator to be easily connected to the trailers supply or run off of other sources. I have no idea if this is legal or not.
Why wouldn't that be legal? All of the components are used in an appropriate way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote