Another grill question - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 17b
Keith and Lauren,
I also have a magma grill, but find that it cooks very hot. Have you had this issue, and did you find a way to tone the flame down a bit?
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Why wouldn't that be legal? All of the components are used in an appropriate way.
As I said Brian, I have no idea if it's legal, your asking the wrong guy.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
As I said Brian, I have no idea if it's legal, your asking the wrong guy.
Okay, but I was just asking why you would even wonder... if there's something you think is questionable about it. So here's the answer: I'm sure there is nothing illegal or unsafe about using a tee fitting to connect both a grill and the trailer's regulator to a propane cylinder.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Okay, but I was just asking why you would even wonder... if there's something you think is questionable about it. So here's the answer: I'm sure there is nothing illegal or unsafe about using a tee fitting to connect both a grill and the trailer's regulator to a propane cylinder.
Brian, I think your confused over what I actually said,

"I have seen trailers that had a "T" between the trailer bottle and regulator, with a ball valve and length of propane hose. This allowed a BBQ with a regulator to be easily connected to the trailers supply or run off of other sources. I have no idea if this is legal or not."

The "T" was between the propane bottle and the regulator, with a ball valve that had a propane hose connected to it. The hose was attached to the BBQ when it was in use. I don't know if the hose had the low pressure quick connect on it or not and if it did if it's safe or legal to use one at full tank pressure. If the hose was open ended and just attached to the BBQ when it's used then if the ball valve were opened with out the BBQ attached .......put out that cigarette ! If I recall the new propane bottles have a flow restrictor to limit a large leak ?? So might not be so bad ?

I've welded oxy acetylene, Mig and Tig over the past 40 years and seen a few problems when guys Jerry rigged gas connections. One Ford Mustang was spread around the neighbourhood and left a crater in his driveway.

This is my first RV so I'm just learning how you guys do things.

Maybe this is standard practice in the RV industry. Any RV I've looked at used a low pressure quick connect after the RV tank regulator for a BBQ etc. This set didn't. This maybe a safe accepted standard of practice. That's what I was wondering about.

Bob
Old 12-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Brian, I think your confused over what I actually said,

"I have seen trailers that had a "T" between the trailer bottle and regulator, with a ball valve and length of propane hose. This allowed a BBQ with a regulator to be easily connected to the trailers supply or run off of other sources. I have no idea if this is legal or not."

The "T" was between the propane bottle and the regulator, with a ball valve that had a propane hose connected to it. The hose was attached to the BBQ when it was in use. I don't know if the hose had the low pressure quick connect on it or not and if it did if it's safe or legal to use one at full tank pressure.
It would be possible to connect tank pressure to a low-pressure appliance (without a regulator) in this configuration, but it would be nonsensical, and that's not what anyone here is doing or talking about. It also wouldn't work, because the appliance would be uncontrollable.

It would also be possible to use quick-connect hardware for this high-pressure connection. The usual fitting used for low pressure would work because the tank pressure isn't high enough at normal temperatures to exceed the 350 PSI ratings of that hardware, but it is also possible that Bob saw a similar quick-connect intended for high-pressure appliances, which is incompatible with the low-pressure fittings but of the same basic design.

The high-pressure version is not generally used with RVs: from MB Sturgis (the only supplier I am aware of), the low-pressure fittings are Model 250, and the high-pressure are 5LPN and sold for use with large propane torches. These 5LPN fittings are normally used at some regulated and relatively high pressure (up to 60 psi), not at full unregulated tank pressure.

Quote:
If the hose was open ended and just attached to the BBQ when it's used then if the ball valve were opened with out the BBQ attached .......put out that cigarette ! If I recall the new propane bottles have a flow restrictor to limit a large leak ?? So might not be so bad ?
The excess flow valve is not just a restrictor; it is a valve that switches from minimal resistance to very restrictive when the flow rate exceeds a trigger point. It is also not in the tank (bottle, cylinder); it is in the fitting on the tank end of the hose. It is intended to protect from large leaks due to hose ruptures, although it would help with accidentally wide-open connections to the open air.

This is not the problem which it appears to be, not because of the excess flow valve, but because all of the connection types used in the last decade or more in RVs have features to protect against this:
  • QCC (tank valve connection): hose fitting must be inserted to push open internal valve
  • needle valve connection (the kind on the top of a one-pound cylinder, also called appliance valve or identified by the thread size of 1"-20): needle of hose or appliance side fitting must insert into the outlet far enough to seal before it pushes the internal valve open
  • quick-connect: ball valve handle must be turned to closed position to push collar back to insert or remove hose, and hose fitting must be inserted to push open internal valve
Also, it's unlikely that the end of any hose would just be open - a hose normally ends in another one of those idiot-resistant connection types. The hose supplied by Escape is just open on the end, but it is intended to be screwed into an appliance and permanently left attached, or to have a quick-connect outlet installed on it - either way, it would never be left open to allow accidental open discharge of propane.

Quote:
Maybe this is standard practice in the RV industry. Any RV I've looked at used a low pressure quick connect after the RV tank regulator for a BBQ etc. This set didn't. This maybe a safe accepted standard of practice. That's what I was wondering about.
Standard practice for a low-pressure connection is a quick-connect after the RV's regulator; the only other workable option would be a dedicated regulator for the low-pressure port, and while it would work it would be an unnecessary complication and I've never heard of anyone doing it. Low-pressure quick-connects after the regulator, as optionally provided by Escape, are very common in the RV industry.

Standard practice for a tank-pressure connection is a tee between the tank and the regulator, with either an appliance/needle valve port or (less commonly) a QCC port. This can be installed by just unscrewing the pigtail hose by hand and putting it back on with the tee in place (no tools and no skill required), so while RV manufacturers don't offer it, owners often use it... I do.

Bob, whatever you saw, I doubt it was just a ball valve opening tank pressure to the open air, as it may have appeared. I'm guessing it was a high-pressure quick disconnect, with the usual safety features... but of course someone could have done something unusually stupid.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:16 AM   #46

Brian, thanks for the detailed explanation. I had no idea how you connected your propane up so my original comment wasn't a criticism in any way.

I understand the typical options now for this type of connection.

I suppose it was the ball valve that gave me the impression the high pressure hose may not have been terminated ? Otherwise it would be superfluous ?

Is there a reason to draw gas prior to the trailers regulator rather than using the low pressure connectors post regulator ? I'm wondering if drawing too much gas post regulator could effect the pressure in the trailer supply causing say the refrigerator to have a lower flame and poorer cooling ?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge on this subject, Bob
Old 12-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #47

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Brian: Great write up and explanation - as usual.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #48

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Thanks to all forum members who replied to my post. Your input is greatly appreciated. After your inputs and my neighbor's over a beer, I've decided to buy a Q grille. The quick-connect option comes with the hose and fitting to connect to trailer. I'll try to figure out the connection to the Q while on the road. We will be heading to the rally after pickup in early May. Perhaps somebody there can offer advice. Thanks again. Jim
MB Sturgis sells a kit with everything you need to make the conversion on the Weber Q for low pressure use with quick connect. It also provides a part to allow the original regulator to be readily attached with a quick connect if you need/want to use the grill from a high pressure source (i.e. direct from an unregulated tank) at some point in the future as Jim pointed out above. They also have a step-by-step video.

https://mbsturgis.com/products/weber...onversion-kit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Old 12-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This picture may be useful. My logic was elementary. I see the Weber as just another propane appliance for the trailer and (not needing it's now redundant regulator removed it)... then added that quick connect, after the tank regulator, to serve it.
Attached Thumbnails
Quickconn.jpg   WeberQ3.jpg  
Old 12-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #50

Quote:
I suppose it was the ball valve that gave me the impression the high pressure hose may not have been terminated ? Otherwise it would be superfluous ?
The ball valve seems a bit superfluous in the quick-connects (especially since the needle valve fittings are routinely used without a hand-operated valve), and quick-connect outlets are available without the valve; however, it's definitely nicer to be able to disconnect any hose without the propane under even low pressure, and it gives a way to shut off an appliance without disconnection. For comparison, bulk tanks (e.g. the 20-pound tanks on the trailer) have service valves, even though removing the hose shuts off flow - that shut-off is intended only as a safety feature, while the hand valve is what you normally use.

Quote:
Is there a reason to draw gas prior to the trailers regulator rather than using the low pressure connectors post regulator ? I'm wondering if drawing too much gas post regulator could effect the pressure in the trailer supply causing say the refrigerator to have a lower flame and poorer cooling ?
I think the big reasons for tapping propane at tank pressure ahead of the trailer's regulator are:
  1. it is easier to set up than adding a low-pressure outlet to an existing trailer, and
  2. the tank-pressure supply works with all propane appliances (using the regulator supplied with them or available for them), while a low-pressure supply only works with appliances designed or converted for that.
True, the trailer's regulator might not have enough flow capacity to handle some of the higher-flow appliances (high-power cooking burners, portable firepits) while maintaining desirable pressure. If this is an issue, there are high-flow regulators available.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
OP says: Preheat with both burners on high for 10 minutes and then turn off the centre burner and adjust the outer burner down about 2 strokes from high.
I thought the post would describe how to cook indirect with a one-burner Q.
I tried cooking a chicken on an overturned foil pan on my Dickenson BBQ. It didn't go well.

I recommend you keep an eye on the Q if you try this.
When I cook beer can chicken on my Q I first tightly wrap foil around the middle of both burner tubes, this allows for "Indirect" grilling which basically helps stop grease flare ups. So far I have not had a problem and since the gas is low pressure I do not feel like I am creating a problem....I do replace the foil each time and have to close the lid on the chicken and cover the gap(lid does not close all the way) with foil. Yummy beer can chicken in about 1.25 hr on med low.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Cobb Grill does the same thing as beer can chicken by having a moat around the heat that allows the flavor to permeate the meat, whether bar-b-q or beer or any liquid you want. https://cobbgrillamerica.com/collections/portable-grill
I use it when cooking pieces of meat or fish that does not lend itself to grilling on the Blackstone.
Attached Thumbnails
table-top-grill-cobb-premier_1024x1024@2x.jpg  
Old 12-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
When I cook beer can chicken on my Q I first tightly wrap foil around the middle of both burner tubes

Not sure you're supposed to do that, but you're also not supposed to stuff a roll of foil in the back of the BBQ lid, but I've been doing it for 15 years when smoking pork butt. Keeps the smoke inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Summit Gold.jpg  
Old 12-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris View Post
Keith and Lauren,
I also have a magma grill, but find that it cooks very hot. Have you had this issue, and did you find a way to tone the flame down a bit?
We have this Magma grill and like it. I LIKE that it cooks hot as I have found many ropane grills do not get hot enough to sear the outside of meat while keeping the inside medium rare. Also, it fits in the front compartment of our 17b. Use quick connect or bottled propane. Survives all winter outside without a cover.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magma-Tr...I-28_22_BBQ_GR
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #55

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I got one of these Blackstone tailgater BBQ/griddle last summer and really like it....

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now that is a grill, he can cook enough for 10 people there....
Old 12-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
I got one of these Blackstone tailgater BBQ/griddle last summer and really like it....

Looks like you are cooking for a Army ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yes, it looks awesome, but WAY too big for two, even four folk.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #59

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I think the BBQ side is all of 15" x 15" and the griddle is about 16"x 16". It is great for making about anything (cheesesteaks/pancakes/hashbrowns/dogs/burgs). They claim you can bake on it but I have not tried that. Perfect size to feed 4 people but could feed more if you had to. I leave it set up all summer at the house with a cover over it. I think it was about $200 with the carry bags + utensils+ the 20# tank.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #60

The Weber Q1200 can be used without any modifications,or changes to roast meat, vegetables, bake bread or pies.
Just a piece of tin foil on the grates and a small rack on top of that. Adjust the burner knob for the desired roasting temp, usually 325 to 350 F.
Somehow the shape of the bottom and top will circulate the heat to roast it evenly.

There are many YouTube videos detailing this.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
roast beef.jpg   beef Weber Q1200.jpg   chicken.jpg